This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

corn ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: corn ???
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 11:49am
some of my corn is real small like 5 or 6 in long and some is 12 and 13 in long what causes this? the corn that is short is not filled out all the way at the end. are the fields missing something?

Thanks Shawn
190XT,D17and 7045
Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 12:13pm
If it's not filled all the way to the end of the ear it did not get enough water. Usually a good indication of a drought year. Thats what I've been told, anyway...
JOHNNY HEAD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHNNY HEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 12:32pm
I agree with Morton.  One year we had some like that and my dad said it was so hot and dry that some of the silks didn't emerge until all the pollen was released.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:17pm
It's your growing conditions-all season long-not the corn or field.
Steve Jelf, So KS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Jelf, So KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:33pm
After the rotten summer we had, with little rain and a record number of 100ยบ+ days, I've driven by a couple of fields lately where they didn't bother to cut what was barely recognizable as corn. Our soybeans turned out pretty miserable too. Maybe next year will be normal.
Iowa Farmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 9:44am
If the ears are filled out, but they just vary in length and/or girth, then it could be the hybrid of corn you planted.  Many types of hybrids will "flex" depending upon the population at which they were planted.  If you plant a certain hybrid thicker, the ears will be shorter/ less girthy.  Some hybrids it is best to back the population down and "let it flex", or let the ears get longer/ more girthy.  Your seed salesman in your area should be able to tell you about the specific hybrid that you are planting and recommend the best populatuion to give you maximum yield. 

IF
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:52pm
I combined a lot of my corn today and their the tinniest ears I've ever seen.  The corn looks decent but the kernels are small.  I narrowed up my stripper plates just so I wouldn't loose as much.  Some of it is at 15% and some at 19% moisture.  I planted several different variates this year and it's weird to see how much difference there is.

IF, I didn't know that about flex.  I saw some areas where the corn was thin then bam there'd be a large ear. 
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:20am
In 2007 I planted three  numbers. One I had picked for its production with limited nitrogen, the other two were left overs from previous years on my farm and a neighboring farm. The district sales manager for the main number suggested planting at 34,000 population and I didn't change the planter for the other two when I ran out of the first seed with a little over an acre to go.

The main seed, a Crows hybrid 4221T as I recall, did quite well with 11 pounds of N spread from MAP, a pound from two passes of glyphosate with AMS, and 60 pounds of N as 32% liquid injected 2-1/4" from the seed with the planter and another 40 pounds of the same dribbled every other row when the corn was nearly 4' tall.

The second seed left over from 2005, Ottlie 5088 IIRC seemed to do well with similar sized ears as the Crow's but I didn't check extremely close, just watched from the combine as the place was harvested and the combine didn't have a yield monitor.

The third see, a 2005 Dyna-Gro number did NOT like the nutrition and population combination. It filled just half of each ear, and surely hurt the overall yield total, which was 173.2 bushels dry per acre on 111 pounds of N after poor beans.

The Crow's and Ottlie tipped back about 3/4" which says they were close to optimum for the year, the water, and the nutrition. I did a late season stalk test on only the Crow's which showed 237 ppm N remaining, which is low enough to hint there should have been a crop response from more nitrogen. But at that point it was way too late to add any.

2008 I was all beans, and 2009 I leased the farm to a corn on corn strip tiller who didn't beat my yield until this year, getting about 184 bushels dry per acre. Corn on corn he's applying more of everything including seed.

Gerald J.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 3:13am
when my corn got down to around 15 % moisture, it started to drop off the stalks! course the deer didn't help any either! i have ALOT of corn on the ground!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:51am
If your filled to the tip your not planting thick enough for the growing season but when you plant you don't know what the weather will be. Filled to the tip is not always something to brag about it may mean you didn't get the best yeild you could have.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:06am
Another thought is:  Ear size is not the focus bu/a is.  You don't  get payed for ear size.  My grandfather alway's got worked up because my uncle and I plant "to thick" because the ears are smaller.  Big ears or small ears the R62 gobbles them up all the same but the bushels are what pays the bills.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:07am
Just as victory stated, tip back is a good thing to have because it shows populations is right where it should be.  I work for a seed company and that seems to be the general rule at determining if you planted heavily enough.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:38am
Stress damage either at V 5 stage or during pollination, check K levels in soil,  and look at health package of hybrid. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic