This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to jack up a B front end?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to jack up a B front end?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 3:58pm
I have to replace front tires. What methods are being used to crib up and Jack the front ends off the ground?
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:33pm

Deja - Vu !!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 4:36pm
I jack in the center and put a small wood wedge above the axle on each side so it wont pivot...... but in reality, if you jack in the center and the back tires are on the groung, you have 3 point stand, so the front tires can wiggle without problems.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 5:58pm
Thanks Steve. I have a small floor jack, I guess I'll crib up as high as needed, set the jack under the wishbone, as hope for the best.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:32pm
I've used a piece of 2x4 under the bottom of the oil pan drill a hole through it and put over the oil plug and a bottle jack. When you take one off the other drops to the ground but you can easily pick it up with one hand.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 6:41pm
Put a front end loader bucket over the front of the tractor and hook a chain to each side of the axle and lift it right up
zulawski87 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zulawski87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:03pm
Why not drive one tire on a 2x4. Change one side out and vise versa. You can only do one tire at a time anyway
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by zulawski87 zulawski87 wrote:

Why not drive one tire on a 2x4. Change one side out and vise versa. You can only do one tire at a time anyway
B has a wide front so that wont work...
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
I guess I'm old school - I prefer to jack up one side at a time.
I had to do a multiple tire switcheroo recently, and the tractors are on dirt.
so I cut 4x4's 6" longer than my small floor jack; cut plywood the same length and a few inches wider than the jack and nailed the plywood to the 4x4's.
made 3 like that and 1 "double".
so I can quickly stack them up, slip in the jack and go.
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 9:46pm
Block the tractor's rears, Pull your forklift up to it, set the handbrake, and pull the lever back. When the tires are about waist-high or so, shut off the engine... back off the lug bolts with a rattle-gun, place wheels and tires in pickup... have tire shop change tires... return, replace, and reverse...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:36am
I don't have a crane, forklift, front end loader , sky hooks or helium balloons. Just a floor jack. And it's a 1939, so the rims are removed by taking the bearings out.
So I'll crib up and Jack the wishbone, and hope for the best!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 7:03am
Probably put a jack under the torque tube will lift the whole front
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Probably put a jack under the torque tube will lift the whole front
Yes! Jack right where the front end bolts into the bell housing, then crib up the torque tube and lower jack. Make sure everything stable before moving on.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic