This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

b allis no timing hole.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: b allis no timing hole.
    Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:40pm
elfie stopped at my house today and we were looking at some of my tractors and he noticed one of my b's didn't have a hole in the side of the bell housing for timing the engine.has anybody seen this before? according to the serial # it's a 1947 model. he's one of the B guru's, but hadn't seen that before. help us out.
Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 10:46pm
Could be a replacement torque tube? I can't say I've seen or heard of anything like that before. Got a picture?
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:34am
heres a pic where it should be. also the other side
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:54am
I scraped the paint off and it looks like 2 flat headed screws closer to the engine than where the hole should be . if I can't find out I guess I'll have to make up my own expermental story. the other picture is where it should be.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:04pm
All is not lost.  Just remember the "finger in the #1 Cyl" will work all the time.  Always worked for me.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 7:28pm
bill, thats the way i always do it any way . i can feel compression alot better than i can see but just thought its rather strange.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:30pm
Those two flat head screws are probably the impressions from the flat screws that held a cover plate over the hold on the original casting pattern. I don't think they will turn. Maybe it was an option for a military version headed for jungle service and they didn't want excess holes to get outside stuff (like mud and rain) on the clutch.

Gerald J.
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 7:08am
The way I time mine is with a wire to feel the piston position through the spark plug hole. I just use the inspection hole to double check when it is getting close.  Dave.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:20am
Does it have the big hole on the bottom?

That is definately a mod to the wood pattern in order to remove that hole.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:59pm
glenn , what do you mean a mod to the wood pattern to remove that hole . it does have the hole on the bottom.
smiley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 8:06am
I have an Allis B that finally after almost 50 years of faithful service,  refused to start.  I have no spark so,   found the specs and started checking  out the mag,  but can't find the hole on the side of the torque tube to set the timing.  There is a 3" angle iron frame bolted and welded snowplow  over the side of the flywheel housing so it could be behind that,  but I hate to remove the whole thing to find it.  I noticed this post but the photos of the location don't  load.
Can anyone give me the exact location of the hole or repost the photo.
Thanks,
Smiley
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:00pm
Smiley
It sounds like the 3" angle is bolted over the inspection hole in the torque tube (clutch housing), If you do as other member's posted, thumb in the spark plug hole, or wire in the spark plug hole to feel when piston is at he top of it travel, (after you feel air escape with your thumb, to be sure that you are on the compression stroke). You need to feel the air coming out of the plug hole or you could be 180 degrees off on your timing. Bob
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:00pm
the 1st picture is the one without the hole & the 2nd pic is one with the hole , hope that helps you . your hole is probably under the angle iron.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:02pm
46wp, Your last picture shows the hole in the totque tube (clutch housing). Bob
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:08pm
chalmersbob, your right those are 2 different tractors of mine, just show smiley where his should be.
smiley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:44am
1946WP and Chalmers Bob,
Thanks for reposting those photos.  That answers my question and that's where I thought it should be from the descriptions.  The hole is under the angle irons if it exists.  I'll try to check it today.  I could have timed it the other way but I would just as soon have the mark to be absolutely sure of tdc.  We used to have a motorcycle business and that's how we timed them,  with a degree wheel and small sliding rod in an old spark plug body that indicated the piston at the top.  The thing that I noticed about it was there was always a slight amount of slack as it rolled over the top,  that could throw you off a couple degrees.
Unless I get more time and good weather,  it  may set until spring as I covered it up outside yesterday.  I adapted a Wheel Horse loader and forks to it and use it for moving pallets of firewood and stuff around.  My firewood is already in and don't and don't really have much need for it during the winter.  I had adapted a Cub Lo Boy front mounted blower to it and on my first trial run found out the hard way,  that Cub PTO's run backward of everybody else's.  Best little snow sucker you ever saw.
Thanks again,
Smiley

Edited by smiley - 09 Nov 2010 at 7:45am
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:02am
Smiley,  My favorate is not that sophisticated a tractor.  The finger in the hole always worked for us.  As I said many times I did not know the B had timing markd - hard to believe we never looked on the flywheels we had when we overhauled them - till I got on this site.  Finger in the hole will get it running then you can move the mag with the ear bolts loose till it sounds right.  Worked fine for us.
Take good care of my favorate.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
smiley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 4:28pm
I checked it today and by poking a bent wire behind the angle iron,  found the hole.  I'm sure that when I get at it,  I'll use the finger in the hole and wire method because the plow/loader frame is totally welded,  except for where it's bolted on the bell housing and in front.
Thanks again,
Smiley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic