This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas D-15 Will Not Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas D-15 Will Not Start
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 12:40pm
I have been repairing the tractor for 2 months, in which time I have not started it. Now repaired of the original issue - power steering pump - I cannot get it to start up.  It cranks, but will not fire up. A couple of notes though: 1) when I turned it off for the final time, I did not turn the gas valve off at the sediment cup and let the tractor burn off the gas like I usually do. The valve remained open for 6 weeks before I noticed it. I have heard that this may cause gas to dwell in the bottom of the carb. and 2) When I finished replacing the power steering pump, I noticed that a small, plastic 1/8" oil tube line was severed. It goes between the bottom area of the distributer cap (the drive housing, I think) to the top of the throttle. I replaced that. Besides moving oil though it, I do not know its function. Could one of these be the issue? Before all this, it seemed to be a strong starter. Any ideas? I thank you!
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:19pm
Check to make sure you have spark at plugs. Check the drain at carb. Make sure fuel is on and check that stream. Could be float is stuck closed also. They will do that with some of the fuels today.Probably simple fix. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 6:38am
squirt a little fuel into the carb throat, then close the choke and crank it. if it pops or tries to run, your ignition system should be ok. 
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 8:09am
Even with engines that were running good when shut down, points can oxidize while setting, even a few weeks.  I usually fold a dollar bill (piece of a brown paper bag works too) up and use it to rub between the contacts to clean them up.  9 times out of 10 that's all it takes.  I have also had a couple sets hang up on the pivot after setting, so they opened but wouldn't close consistently.  Those gave more of an intermittent problem, sometimes they started and ran fine, sometimes wouldn't start.  Seemed ok when cleaning them but finally found them open one time, with the rubbing block off the cam lobe.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 9:21am
Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone down the list. I didn't even know there was a drain plug on the bottom of the carb. That was a good find! The carb seems sealed up, with no easy way to expose the top of it. 

What did help was cleaning the points. It finally did 'pop' when I cranked it over and it did start. However, it wouldn't go beyond just puttering along. It never idled strong and would not react to me giving it more throttle. I actually removed the points so I could get everything clean in there, as well as clean the points. I am wondering if I did not gap the points correctly or I did something else wrong in re-installing them, or an issue as Jim mentioned. I will check that out as soon as I can. 

I'm all ears if someone has an idea though. Making progress though! Thanks!   
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 5:31pm
John Paul, sounds like there could be a few issues. Check to see if throttle rod moves freely, as does governor rod. I suggest an Allis Chalmers service, parts and operators manual. They are spendy but worth their weight in gold. They will help out immensely when setting things up. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:05pm
Adjust points to .020 when the rub block is on high point of cam lobe.                          MACK
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:04pm
Thank you for all your responses, suggestions and tips. I got it, with your help, purring like a kitten again. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic