This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Primer Pump ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Primer Pump ?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 2:54pm
EDIT: The primer-pumps I mention are manual, hand-operated, with a plunger that works straight up-and-down, just like that found on almost all larger diesel-equipped engines.

I already have such incorporated on the mechanical lift-pump on the engine itself; but, that is way up there on the engine and a long way from the individual tank filters.

I intend to install several of these on the fuel filters on my trucks and equipment so I can easier fill the empty filters and purge out most of the air.

Well...., it appears I can't make the hyperlink thingie work; here is the web address of the pumps I speak of:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CPP5R1JQ/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I have pumped many a gallon of fuel with similar pumps factory-mounted on various equipment; but, I have not much idea just what they are doing; I just know they work and work quick.

I have searched and read until my eyes are sore and it seems that the size and type of threads on the male threaded end are a complete mystery.

Do any of you guys know what type threaded end these may have ?

If I get one and the threads are not NPT and I don't have something around of a known female size that they just happen to fit, I am going to be lost as to what I need to make them work in my application.

More questions:

Do these push or pull or both ?

I would rather mount them just after the filter, so only filtered fuel goes in them; but then, they are going to be pumping air until the filter fills up.

With only the one end screwed into the fuel path, it appears to me these would work sort of like a bicycle pump -- sort of --- 

Am I understanding them correctly --- if I just mount this in a TEE on the fuel line, it is going to work, right ?

But then, how does it know which way to work ? it looks to me like there would need be some check-valves, one each side, so it wouldn't be wanting to pump in both directions.

Am I thinking right --- Check-valve - then TEE with this thing in it - then another check valve -- so the suction and then pressure could only be moving fuel in one direction --- right ?

Edited by BuckSkin - 05 Jul 2024 at 3:49am
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2024 at 3:33pm
I only put them in line with the flow marked on the pumps. arrow is direction of flow and no you cant use any tees that I know of. kits should have threaded hose barb fittings in them. I put one on this 190xtd , a Case 1835-b and a NH L-781 with the Deutz diesel in it and thats how I hooked them up. The one in the Case is only needed if the loader sits for a week without being used.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 3:40am
I finally found a thread size for the pump I had picked out = M16x1.5

Any adapter fitting I have found with M16x1.5 Female to either 1/2 or 3/8 NPT Male is beginning at $20 and from there to way up there for a single simple adapter fitting.

I am having no luck finding any similar pumps with normal thread size.

I guess the solution will be try one pump and epoxy it into a TEE.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 3:43am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

I only put them in line with the flow marked on the pumps. arrow is direction of flow and no you cant use any tees that I know of. kits should have threaded hose barb fittings in them.

I am curious as to what type primer-pump you are using; maybe I will like it better than the style I have been considering.

They are manual pumps, right ?

Can you post a link ?

Thanks.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 6:28am
If you prefill your filters before installing them onto the engine you will not usually have any problems you are trying to address. I've been around heavy equipment and trucks for over 50 years and a single priming, lift, transfer pump, (same thing, called differently) with a 10 micron filtered input, followed by a two micron output, (which is input to injection pump) is really all that is needed. 

Much easier to "push" a fluid medium that to "pull" the same. You could install an electric flow through plunger, or diaphragm pump near the fuel source and a prefilter powered with a push button in the operator station and a bleed valve just before the injection pump. You could crack the bleed valve open, operate the priming pump till fuel spills from the bleeder. Once the fuel is flowing from the bleeder port, the filters are full.

Multiple primers in a system is a disaster as when failure occurs there are multiple possibilities suspect. KISS is a very good rule to follow at times.

IMO of course.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 9:46am
12-v electric pumps off the internet from chimna of course. cost around $16. or so and last forever. I have good luck with them and use them on gas and diesel without any trouble. Look on Amazon or Scambay under 12-v fuel pumps. There are several sellers on there in the usa. I think some of mine came from a seller in  California.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

12-v electric pumps off the internet from chimna of course. cost around $16. or so and last forever. I have good luck with them and use them on gas and diesel without any trouble. Look on Amazon or Scambay under 12-v fuel pumps. There are several sellers on there in the usa. I think some of mine came from a seller in  California.

I think I found what you describe, sold under a thowwwzand different names and all in the same box with the same photos and descriptions; priced from $8.00 to as much as $30.00.

I like the part about "last forever. I have good luck with them "

You have changed my mind and plan of action --- Thank You.

Plus, I can do three or more filters for what I was fixing to spend on one.

As best I can determine, those are "Flow Through" pumps that do not interfere with what other pumps are doing and can just go along for the ride with fuel passing through them until they are called into action.

When I was planning all this out in my skull, I considered some sort of electric pump; but, my first thoughts were about having to run wires and switches and such for each one and it only ever used when servicing the individual filters --- hence my preference for something manual.

But, now, I have a viable plan where your little electric pumps will work and zero wiring needed --- don't get me wrong, I love wiring and am quite an expert at it; it just isn't going to be necessary for my application.

Everything around here, including the tractors and riding mowers, has several 2-prong pigtails hanging here and there just for such occasions.

I have several 2-wire extension cords equipped with such pigtails at each end; in fact, that is what they were before I converted them = extension cords.

A few of these cords have a weather-proof box with a toggle-switch near one end.

My plan is to leave such a pigtail hanging from each pump; and, I can power the pump by one of my toggle-switched cords.

I was a little hesitant on account of the 5/16 in/out; but, just about any 3/8 fitting (or larger) has an actual inner orifice of closer to 1/4-inch or less.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2024 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Much easier to "push" a fluid medium that to "pull" the same.

Thanks for confirming that bit .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic