This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pressure
    Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 7:32am
The fuel pressure gauge on my HD6G was 5 psi but is now registering zero. Full throttle RPM is now lower. I have not changed the fuel filters in 4 years but that in not many operating hours. The OEM restriction in the return line may have been removed by a previous owner but the machine runs as it should. My question: Does this mean that my fuel pump is going bad or should I just adjust the governor to add the lost RPM?
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:17am
Id have to double check to be sure but Im pretty confident both my dozers run in the 30 psi range.  I would sure be looking into it especially if you have a psb pump as no one fixes them!
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

The fuel pressure gauge on my HD6G was 5 psi but is now registering zero. Full throttle RPM is now lower. I have not changed the fuel filters in 4 years but that in not many operating hours. The OEM restriction in the return line may have been removed by a previous owner but the machine runs as it should. My question: Does this mean that my fuel pump is going bad or should I just adjust the governor to add the lost RPM?

There should be two filters a primary and secondary change them both.

With todays modern diesel blends I would also install a water separator

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:40am
if you have any bio-diesel fuel in use - it has a tendency to loosen every old contaminant in system and put back into fuel 
 change the filters before getting real excited about what else is wrong . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
Filters are cheap, this injector pump isn't . Substitute a known good gauge for the stocker, verify if it's a instrumentation problem, change the filters. Lack of usage is hard on filters and fuel tanks. At the very least change the secondary filter. Good time to blow out the line from the tank, too. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
Seeing what I did as to my filters this last week I will be changing more often than a low pressure indication. Sludge city!

I may even invest in a newer style more easily replaced and inspected.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Sep 2017 at 11:53am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:02pm
I have been considering making a spin on adaptor head to replace my canister oil filter as well. Is always a mess to get off and replace a spin on may be a tad easier as well more available.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
Dennis, I had the same thing; I changed the filters and the sec. looked like the bottom of a basement sump. Rusty sludge everywhere. I was a bit ashamed as being a professional mechanic I took it for granted since I had 'just' changed them 4 years ago. Less than 100 hrs. on machine since. Once a year for me from now on, and full tank year round for the condensation. When my pump got sticky, I traced back through the fuel system and it got uglier as I wentOuch
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:28pm
Just one of those things ALWAYS ALWAYS change the filters before spending more money.Unless you have money to burn,but then just send that to me and I can lighten your load.

Dmiller the heads to add spin on filters where cheap to in the old days,so are you going to make them just cause you can?????????? Or the fact that most of them came with the Ford threads holding you back from buying one. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:32pm
Cannot be had anymore, the conversion kit for my old 7000 series no longer exists according to Wix and Baldwin.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:54pm
A question to the guys that might know, will the Detroit spin on adaptor install as the Allis adaptor did? Can still get the canister conversion for 8/6v-71 DD engines, OB1303 Baldwin or K3390 Fram?

Would use a PH3690 Short Fram or B105 short Baldwin.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 12:02pm
Just a idea I had as walked past my transfer tank with pump and filter.

The filter suppliers make the heads to put a filter as you transfer fuel,which are generally 3/4 or 1 inch pipe treads which is way bigger than needed. But if you can find room. It also helps to have a helpful person at the store you buy filters from.They make so many sizes of filter as well different degrees of filtering that will fit the same base. But with the average counter person your out of luck if you cannot give make and model that is in the computer. So I wish you luck in how ever you proceed.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 9:59am

Questions like drive me crazy as a fuel injection pump mechanic! So, you take the time and trouble to get the pump rebuilt, then put it back on and same issue. "Oh man, pump guy must not have fixed my problem!" or "Man, those pump shops are just not fixing the problems anymore!" I have heard it all before. I cannot stress it enough, MAKE SURE YOUR FUEL SUPPLY AND RETURN CIRCUITS ARE PERFECT! And change your filters while you're taking the filter bases apart to clean everything up. If the engine starts and runs, the injection pump is probably fine. Don't go messing with settings to compensate for poor fuel flow. Today's fuel likes to grow algae, and form all kinds of goop the plugs filter bases, and lines. The PSB should have a restriction fitting on the return side, so no matter how much fuel you provide it, it will never build pressure without the controlled restriction fitting.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

Questions like drive me crazy as a fuel injection pump mechanic! So, you take the time and trouble to get the pump rebuilt, then put it back on and same issue. "Oh man, pump guy must not have fixed my problem!" or "Man, those pump shops are just not fixing the problems anymore!" I have heard it all before. I cannot stress it enough, MAKE SURE YOUR FUEL SUPPLY AND RETURN CIRCUITS ARE PERFECT! And change your filters while you're taking the filter bases apart to clean everything up. If the engine starts and runs, the injection pump is probably fine. Don't go messing with settings to compensate for poor fuel flow. Today's fuel likes to grow algae, and form all kinds of goop the plugs filter bases, and lines. The PSB should have a restriction fitting on the return side, so no matter how much fuel you provide it, it will never build pressure without the controlled restriction fitting.
            The OP's question is innocent and understandably naive. Probably doesn't deserve ridicule. Your advice on fuel system maintenance is sound, however, I'm trying to remember the last time a fuel injection pump $hop said " there's nothing wrong with your pump...we'll just charge you for bench testing ". I've seen em come back with a 'solvent tank and rattle can overhaul", and a 800$ ticket. I do my own pumps now. It's not rocket science. Wink
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:51pm
well, my post wasn't intended to ridicule, but to point out how often people overlook the very obvious basic things. Does the pump have some wear? Probably. Would I just throw an old used pump on my stand? Not under most circumstances. I wouldn't expect an engine shop to dyno an engine that is running poorly, and using oil, in need of a rebuild, but yet putting an old pump on the stand is not a lot different. You are right, it is not rocket science, even an idiot like me can do it lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic