This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel guage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaJaMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel guage
    Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:41pm
I replaced my fuel guage on my sunstar.  Old one was pegged and not operative.  New(used) one pegges out when i turn on the switch and does not go back to zero.  Float movement works fine and makes gauge move.  Is there anyway to adjust the needle?  Appreciate any thoughts  Thanks
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 8:15am
Your varistor is defective. This is the variable resistor that is on the float arm in the tank. Those gauges require a 33 to 240ohm resistance value to indicate correctly. When the tank if full, the resistance reading will be very near 33 ohms keeping the indicator from "pegging" as you describe. As the fuel level drops the resistance value increases and this reduces current through the indicator winding with the resulting deflection of the needle closer to "E".

That said, your fuel tank sending unit is defective.
LaJaMe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaJaMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 7:53pm
Codger !!  I checked the float today.  Got readings from 24  to 146.  I assume those numbers mean defective ??  Thanks
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 5:55am
Originally posted by LaJaMe LaJaMe wrote:

Codger !!  I checked the float today.  Got readings from 24  to 146.  I assume those numbers mean defective ??  Thanks

Yes. Don't run that gauge with power applied and being "pegged" as it will burn the gauge windings open rendering it useless.
LaJaMe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaJaMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 9:29pm
Thanks for your input.  Not installing the new guage until I get a new sending unit.  Thanks again !!!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 8:25pm
Are those varie resistors available?  Got two sending units that need them.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Are those varie resistors available?  Got two sending units that need them.

I have not seen that assembly available separately. It is usually not the resistive element that goes bad, but rather the hinge or pivot point the arm swings upon wears out disallowing the "wiper", (moving part) to make good contact with the stationary resistance winding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic