This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frozen rusted steering clutch HD5G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frozen rusted steering clutch HD5G
    Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:42pm
The challenges continue to test me.  The brake was frozen too but once I got the engine running it was able to break free.  I filled the steering clutch compartment after plugging it with a deruster,  about 4 1/2 gallons.  Drove it back and forth many times working the steering clutch lever which I believe I have adjusted properly.  So far, no breaking loose with the clutch.
Any wizards with magic tricks?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:19pm
Walt, after owning several HD6G's, there is no magic. Its best to just bite the bullit and pull it apart. I had a steering clutch stick on mine. I left it set all winter full of expensive penetrating fluid. It had to come apart. I was lucky to find everything I needed from a guy in Wisconsin.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
The only other thing to try is riding the brake to warm it up and then put bucket against something sold and hold the clutches and let the tracks spin. But I never had it work. I always pulled things apart. I believe General Gear in Idaho has new steer clutch parts. I see lots of good things about them. 
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 9:17am
I am just completing my third steering clutch rebuild/repair. The steering on these machines are old and worn, The HD11B I am doing is a 1956 tractor . The throwout bearings were full of rust, the linkage is stiff, the sleeve which slides on the clutch drive hub was seized. The spacer discs were, for the most part, unusable due to the severity of the rust. Then you get to the friction disc teeth seized to the brake drum. the lube hoses to the throwout bearings will probably be disintegrated as well. Take it apart, clean and repair/replace as needed, assemble with anti seize and grease. When it is finished, it will work as advertised and it will be depandable.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 11:08pm
SUCCESS!!!

I started with some rust remover concentrate I've had laying around for ten years.  I gave that about 36 hours.  Then I got some red dye off road diesel and refilled the compartment.  Ran the track about every six hours.  Took the advice (thanks so much) and pushed against a bank with both steering clutches pulled back.  Gave it repetitive  gentle bashes with engine clutch.  After about ten minutes the track stopped turning.  I couldn't believe it.  Releasing the steering clutch restored power to the track.

I've had a two day burst of miracles.  I  drove down to Denver to get the rear hatch glass replaced.  I couldn't find the glass place so I stopped to call for directions.  My beloved Pointer jumped out the window without me knowing.  Ten minutes later upon getting the glass place I realized he was gone.  Oh my God.  I had yet to put his collar on as I was going to walk him to pass the time.  I called a friend who posted pictures on a site for me.  About two hours he was turned in to a shelter.  Absolute miracle we were reunited.  There are so many wonderful people.  The silent majority? I couldn't have lived without him.  So the next day the steering clutch releases.  I practically feel non corporeal. 

So much thanks to you kind souls who have supported me through this massive project!  I'm about to turn 70 and I hope this outrageous intentional suffering will steel me to keep on keeping on.  Bless all of you!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
If you decide to replace clutch plates go with the HD11 ceramic ones . I did that on my HD5G many years back and no problems since 
 I do have a pile of the fiber discs which are slightly worn and a few of the steel spacer plates left from another machine i scrapped 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic