This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

freshen paint?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: freshen paint?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:57am
     Is there anything that you guys use on dull original  paint to freshen it up a bit? I have a nice Allcrop grain drill with pretty  good original decals and a little rust here and there in the paint. Wax makes the rusted spots white when it dries and it won't rub off. Hoping there is something else that isn't too difficult. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:57am
Rubbing compound, then polishing compount, then wax.  You have to get the chalky "dead" paint layers off.
1951 B
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:09am
Flitz paste according to Kurt Aumann from Aumann auctions.Saw it on Classic tractor fever episode a while back.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:04am
Wipe it down with a rag soaked in diesel fuel.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 12:40pm
     Thanks for the replies. Would dust stick to the diesel fuel?
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 1:00pm
From my experience, dust does kinda stick, but blows off easily with air, or it brushes off easy with a dry rag. 
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:36pm
I've used a fine scotch bright with wd40 and then wipe it off. If you won't slick your need to scotch bright with water ,let dry then clear coat.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:08pm
Linseed oil.  I've used it on painted surfaces, but never on that type of paint, so I don't know what it'll do.  The end result sure looks good on everything I've done.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
*DougW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *DougW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:41pm
I have used flitz, consider it to be like rubbing compound. I have even used real fine steel wool to get the real bad areas cleaned up, then follow with a good cleaner wax. I like Maguires cleaning wax. It will do a nice job finishing the cleaning process and will leave a nice shine. It doesn't leave a chalky dust.

Edited by *DougW - 23 Aug 2019 at 8:42pm
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:50pm
I've had pretty good results with this.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:28pm
The Turtle wax rubbing compound works great. Try using a water soaked sponge & liberal amounts of the rubbing compound and apply it like a wax job(small circular motion). As your sponge gets dirty, dunk it into a fresh bucket of water & wring out the dirt(dirt/chalky faded paint, etc). Like a waxing, rub off the dried rubbing compound residue with a clean inside of an old cotton sock. Do as many rubbing compound applications as it requires to remove old faded chalky paint (2-5 applications?)
Then, using a good quality wax, give it a "deep waxing job"(slow small circular pattern rub that covers a small area). Don't be in a hurry. Let the wax job cure/dry and remove it's residue with another clean cotton cloth. Enjoy the revived old AC orange paint luster!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:04am
     Thank you for all the good ideas. Should I do something like scotchbrite the rusted areas first to get the little rust flakes out of the way? Don't want to scratch the paint with those.
     I have used linseed oil on stuff that has very little paint and it makes the rust look much better but I'm worried about the linseed  oil and rain. Will it wash off or get white or dull? Once in a while it will dare to rain at an equipment show.
     Thanks again for the help.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:24am
ac,
We need some before and after pictures too!:) I just used the turtle wax rubbing compound on the hood/ grill of the Jubilee. We ahd been using the tractor for brush hogging and it had set out for the summer. I was very pleased on how it cleaned up.
 Regards,
 Chris 
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:36am
What can be done to pr vent gasoline damage to paint? I repainted my hood with Majic spray cans two years ago, and gas is causing it to wrinkle. All the manufacturer said was to wash it with soap and water as soon as it got splashed with gas...
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 10:31am
Maybe this can answer your gas on paint inquiry? I have only read about it & haven’t used it.
P http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1094717
1939Dodge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1939Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:29pm
Thanks, worth a try!
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:12am
Dont know if you can buy it in the usa ,but i use a product called penetrol made by acompany called flood. Best thing i ever stumbled accross, you can paint i on with a brush and it will stop the rust as well. Its like a clear coat or varnish that stop rust.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
I've used both Ajax or Baking soda in warm water, scrub lightly and rinse then dry and wax.
chevy1946 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevy1946 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:45am
goo be gone and linseed oil mixed with a light scotch brite pad, you tube mustie1 on you tube and look for his single cab build. he has an excellent show how and techniques. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic