This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freezer in a storage building

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freezer in a storage building
    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:41pm
We have one of those barn looking storage buildings. It isn’t insulated. Jenny wants a bigger Freezer. We’re wondering if it can go in a storage building. I can insulate it if needed. Didn’t know if heat or freezing would be a problem?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 9:07pm
Google Coolbot, its a thermostat that allows you to use a regular air conditioner, to make a refrigerator!  I made a cool room, in a produce wagon, works great.  Used an old refrigerator door, as the entry!  As I recall, the gizmo is about $300 + the AC unit.  The more insulation you use, the less your electric bill will be!Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
Yes you can run a freezer in ANY building. Friend has had one in an attached,unheasted garage for 40-50 years. Keep it FULL..take food out, replace with bags of ice. Farm has 6-8 chest freezers plus a walkin , all in the unheated section of the barn, zero problems. Just be sure to keep the area clear so hot air from compressor can escape...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:38pm
that's where my freezer is...in my outdoor kitchen. it's also a barn style building 10x18, before i had the building it was housed in one of them fabric quonset tents on the deck. it's a frigidare brand. what really helps in the summer time is i have a 2 inch thick piece of styrofoam laying on the lid of it. it don't run as often as when i didn't have it on there. as Jay says, keep it full and even if the power goes out, everything will be safe for a day or two. people in Alaska ussually keep there freezers outside all year round.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:46am
Years ago, I used to go with my uncle on refrigeration house calls and I will say this much that I learned from refrigerators and freezers being in unheated areas.
They work fine until the temperature outside drops below the thermostat setting and this causes something weird to happen such that the compressor will kick off the reset; and, when things warm back up, the reset being kicked out, nothing runs and things begin to warm up.
Push the reset button back in and the compressor kicks in and everything okay once again.

That being said, I have had a chest-type freezer outside in one of those Harbor Freight tarp garages for at least fifteen years and it has never had the reset to kick off; but --- I have seen it happen several times so I know it can.
People being people, my uncle would try to explain to these people to just push in the button and no need for him to come out; "I don't know; I would feel better if you came and looked at it; we have our calf in there and would hate to lose it" ; so, he would drag out some rutted gravel road, dry-ford a couple creeks, cut the sidewall out of a recap, get there, investigate the situation, pop in the button and the thing go to working; and these never-miss-a-Sunday people would start back-pedaling when he billed them a service call, not wanting to pay him for something so simple.
Were it up to me, I would have drug out every tool in the truck, had them there holding a shop-light for hours, while I fiddled around in there and made it look like I really had a tough time fixing it, maybe sell them a new timer of something, and fix them a bill that they would not soon forget --- but then, I have had to deal with John Q Public for most of my life and I have acquired a much less forgiving nature on account of it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 1:02am

Well,,I have two freezers out in the unheated garage and never had a problem,,,chit I never gave it a thought on the first one I put out there,,so the second one was put in there  when the boys sold their trailer and ,,,well,,,"Dad has got some room over in that corner",,,the rest is history,,,,LOL
 That reminds me,,,the last time I looked in the big Upright freezer,,,,that sob was one huge ball of ICE and I sure am dreading  having to defrost it as they ain't no telling what we'll find in there,,,,,,,,Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 6:29am
DJ, haul the freezer out, place DOWNWIND, then let Mother Nature defrost it......
course if your luck is like mine, the winds WILL change........Cry
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 7:08am
Have had a freezer in the unheated "milkhouse" off the barn as long as I can remember, they last a normal lifetime, and have never had to reset anything.  And this is in the north half of Michigan, gets plenty cold!  Mom and dad also have 2 in their unheated garage, 1 upright, 1 chest.  No issues.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:03am
I have read about what BuckSkin is saying, and with that said I have a 4yr old plain Jane El-Cheapo upright in my 3 season porch. Up here in the Northland you can here a Chevy cry at night cause it gets so cold (and salty). I have not had that reset problem but I'm aware of it. I keep a temp monitor with lithium batteries in it and the receiver alarm for it just in case.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:47pm
We have one on the back porch that has been out there for 10 years and still runs. ---the porch is closed in but cold!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:50pm
Ive had a freezer in my barn for 20 years a freezer in un heated area is no problem a refrigerator will freeze up when it getsto cold my fridge had to be unplugged when the barn got down to freezing id unplug and it would reset when i pluged in next spring it worked every time. The fridge is now in the heated shop and works all year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic