This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fred Wilke 1933 WC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:09pm
Hi
Whats the size of the tyres ?
I need to purchase a new pair, I have at present 24x14 on spokes but they are a little big, what would be the recomended size ?
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:35pm

Original tyre - XI.XXV x XXIV

Gary
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by drak drak wrote:

Hi
Whats the size of the tyres ?
I need to purchase a new pair, I have at present 24x14 on spokes but they are a little big, what would be the recomended size ?

The original size for the WC was 11.25 X 24".  These tires were called balloon tires and are different than anything that is available today.  Around 1939, wide base tires came out  and the sidewalls were designed to be more straight than the old balloon tires.  The 11.25 was replaced by the 13 X 24".  Keep in mind that the tires themselves were completely redesigned so the 13 X 24 was just the replacement and not the same tire.  Later on the numbering system was changed and the 13 X 24" became the 14.9 X 24".  They were the same tire, just measured differently.  And that is the current numbering system we use today.  So a direct replacement would be the 14.9 X 24.  Some people feel that this size looks a little too big so they go a size down and use 13.6 X 24" instead.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:01pm
Excellent information! I have a questions for the Wilkies. Have you replaced the two guide lugs with lug bolts or where the early hubs and rims six bolt? My WC #629 has a four bolt hub with the guides. The rim is cast to accept wheel weights.
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
ecclap View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecclap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by KenBWisc KenBWisc wrote:

Excellent information! I have a questions for the Wilkies. Have you replaced the two guide lugs with lug bolts or where the early hubs and rims six bolt? My WC #629 has a four bolt hub with the guides. The rim is cast to accept wheel weights.

I'm wondering the same thing.  The parts catalog says 4 guide pins per tractor prior to #2646 and 2 used prior to #67328.  I'm not sure about the very early tractors though.  Do you know if your #629 is wearing it's original wheel equipment?  I wonder when they changed to the HC46A hubs with the ledge?

Edited by ecclap - 23 Dec 2016 at 2:51pm
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:32pm
Long about 1950 the rubber tire manufactures association changed the way tire sizes were designated. Before that the tire sizes was the rim diameter and rim width, e.g. the inside diameter of the bead surface and the distance between the two bead surfaces. The change was to change the tire width number to the maximum width of the tire nearly always greater than the rim width.

Miller Tire and other vendors of historic tractor tires have had a conversion chart on line for old numbers that you will find in the operator's manual to the modern designation for the same size tire.

Most ag tire makers, I know Titan/Goodyear have an Ag Tire Handbook on line. Towards the back there is a chart of approved and preferred rims listed by tire size. Up front there are tables of dimensions of bias ply and radial rear tires.

It is often possible to get a tire to stay on a rim outside the approved rim sizes, but if the rim is narrow the outside of the tire tends to be more rounded with more rapid wear in the center and less soil contact for less traction unless run at very low air pressure. A narrow tire on a wide rim tends to wear the outer edges more.

A taller tire tilts the tractor, sometimes that can be helped with a taller front tire and is a benefit when spraying or cultivating crops.

Titan/Goodyear is pushing low side wall tires these days requiring larger rims for the same outside diameter and axle height. Lots of truck and SUV tires have gone that route because the taller ones in vogue a few years ago with low pressure for a comfortable ride lacked lateral stability and caused wrecks.

Gerald J.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:05am
I wouldn't want to guarantee my rear wheels are original. My Dad did relate to me how they had the local blacksmith cut off the steel and weld on tire rims.  One of my rims has been replaced at least twice and one at least once. What makes me suspicious that at least one of the wheels is not original is that the orientation of the spokes do not match.   
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic