This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fram Oil Filters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fram Oil Filters?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:10am
Guys I use to use Fram C159 on my older Allis Tractors. What is a good replacement filter? I have some Wix but don't like them. My tractors seem to run lower oil pressure with the Wix filter. Thanks Gary
Sponsored Links

HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:15am
Fram C159 seems to be a standard replacement.  I have been using them and I have no complaints.  They are still out there but it seems like they are usually close to $20 each.  I bought a lot of 4 for $8 each, so I am set for a while.

Edited by HoughMade - 24 Jun 2019 at 8:17am
1951 B
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:50am
Now that TSC no longer carries Fram filters, where can you get the tractor Fram filters.  I'm good on my C159's as I bought out the local TSC when they put them on close out sale, but need them for my 180 and D17 IV diesel.  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:58am
A quick check on-line looks like Midland Hardware has them at a reasonable price;

Edited by Play Farmer - 24 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:00am
Wally World carries the FRAM filter line. NAPA GOLD series seem to be a decent filter; read somewhere years agothey were made by WIX, no idea who makes the NAPA filter anymore.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:03am
Yeah, local Walmart doesn't have the selection I need to get the correct filter for the diesel tractors I have.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:32am
As far as I know, Wix still makes almost all of NAPA's filters, so it is most likely that NAPA Gold filter is a Wix filter. NAPA Gold 7011, Fram C-159, Baldwin T300-M all cross to Wix 57011.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:07am
Wink Just saying, you don't have to look real hard to find people saying Fram is the same as not having a filter. I have had a engine failure or Wink....... way more than I needed.Cry But none of them I could tell myself it was cause I had the wrong filter or oil in it.

If you make nice with your NAPA store they have filters on sale twice a year and they are way cheaper. It seem each store picks when they have the filter sale so ask.

But another place to find odd filters is the neighborhood fuel jobber.Wink Hopefully there computer wiz kid will have been edumated to not let his face show how miss guided he think you are to have machines 4 times older than he is.LOLLOLLOL
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Wink Just saying, you don't have to look real hard to find people saying Fram is the same as not having a filter...

And these people may know something about '09 Corollas or 2012 F-150s, but they probably know nothing about the bypass oil system on a '48 Allis B or '57 WD45
1951 B
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:30pm
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fram-hd-by-pass-oil-filter-c159/0000000048446

Fleet Farm has them and also has a mail order - online site 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:51pm
can still get AGCO ones at a dealer
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:02pm
Do you have an O'Reiley's close by? They "normally" have engine/hydraulic on hand. I will never buy another filter from NAPA as long as I live after they gouged me $9 over what I could have gotten from O'reiley's (possibly better filter) except I didn't want to drive the extra 11 miles to the next store(O/R) that had the filter in stock. The NAPA was still 8 miles away and the guy behind the counter was a "RICHARD", if you catch my drift. Seems like O/R is a Wix filter?
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:06pm
all made in mexico anyway.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:35pm
And these people may know something about '09 Corollas or 2012 F-150s, but they probably know nothing about the bypass oil system on a '48 Allis B or '57 WD45
-
FRAM C159 has been the STANDARD for the BYPASS FILTERS for MANY YEARS.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Jun 2019 at 5:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by HoughMade HoughMade wrote:

Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Wink Just saying, you don't have to look real hard to find people saying Fram is the same as not having a filter...

Perzactly! The bypass system uses the restriction of the wad of cotton in the filter for pressure and can NOT be compared to pleated paper filters of any manufacturer.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:38pm
How/what about a T300M Baldwin filter from Shoup's ?
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 6:52pm
With NAPA, must be a store-by-store thing, the local one has always been great on prices. For me, anyhow.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:07pm
I have never seen a bad Baldwin filter
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:51pm
I have used the T300M filters and the C159.... no difference in performance or pressure.. One of the local farm stores use to sell Baldwin at a reasonable price.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:06pm
Lower oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean it is worse, especially if the pressure tap is before the filter. Lower pressure = less filter restriction which could mean more filter area...... No doubt it could be higher micron rating, but I am leaning towards Wix is better than Fram.....
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:29pm
The parts store I use mostly carries Baldwin brand, I try to order them when they have their filter sale in Feb,,there about half price then..gotta order a case lot though,,can't remember if 12 or 6 in a case...
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Stan R Stan R wrote:

Lower oil pressure doesn't necessarily mean it is worse, especially if the pressure tap is before the filter. Lower pressure = less filter restriction which could mean more filter area...... No doubt it could be higher micron rating, but I am leaning towards Wix is better than Fram.....

Again, that makes perfect sense on modern vehicles with full filtration systems.  That's not what we're talking about.
1951 B
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:18am
A Fram run of the mill full flow filter will trap 40 micron particles, at most. A Purolator Boss will filter to below 20 microns. A stuffed cotton filter might do 100 microns - that's just a guess on my part. It may only be doing 10 to 20 percent of the oil on one pass too. This is why you want to change the oil at recommended hourly intervals on these old engines, regardless of what quality of oil you use.
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 5:32pm
Rockauto.com has the Wix filters for half what O'Reilly's charges.
1975 7040 w/Power Director
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:31pm

As HOUGH has pointed out, the BYPASS filter only filters 20% of the oil flow and the rest goes directly to the bearings.. If you use the WRONG FILTER with LESS RESTRICTION, then you might pass 40% thru the filter and thus only get 60% to the bearings.. WIX had that problem 10-15 years ago and burnt up  several motors... FRAM has been the STANDARD for years and  never had that problem.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
I wonder if Fram actually builds that filter or just buys it from another builder. Those filters used to be orange like the rest of the Fram line but for a while now they have been white. BTW I have a couple NOS Frams that are the old soup can style along with a Puralator and a couple Wix.

Edited by Lonn - 25 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
oldways View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
Buddy of mine works at paper factory. Alstrim (I think is how it's spelled) they make the paper for everyone's filters. He told me the only one that's different is Napa gold. Myself I only buy wix and Baldwin.
1 Corinthians 1:18 1969-190xt-III. 1966 190xt gas. 1966 190xt Cab. 1948-G. 1937-WC unstyled. 1950-B. 1951-CA. 1966-D17-IV
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:28pm
Napa Gold is Wix. Just drop the leading 5 on the Wix number and it is the Napa number.
1975 7040 w/Power Director
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 5:54am
Originally posted by oldways oldways wrote:

Buddy of mine works at paper factory. Alstrim (I think is how it's spelled) they make the paper for everyone's filters. He told me the only one that's different is Napa gold. Myself I only buy wix and Baldwin.

Some filters use paper. The best filters use a synthetic material. Some use a mix of the two. Higher end filters tend to use synthetic material and use more of it. For the AC bypass system you can pretty much assume they use cotton. Less of or a looser pack of cotton will let more oil through, but probably at the cost of less filtration. The filter resistance itself contributes to the oil pressure. As stated above, don't try to compare a bypass filter to a full flow filter. They are different animals and they work in a different way.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 5:59am
curious... I found this...
 I'd like to pay less than 22 canucks for a filter...
anyone use any of the 25 listed ?
thanks
jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic