This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't move forward or reverse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 12:44am
If the oil that is leaking is from the fwd rev transmission it's very likely from the oil pump that is driven by the converter. If the flex plate that the converter is mounted to is cracked then the converter starts to wobble...then the converter neck that propels the fwd rev trans pump gets damaged, the seal starts leaking and once the pump is no longer driven you have no pressure and no power to the wheels. You described a noise in the driveline...this would be my first suspicion. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Sponsored Links

Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:51pm
The dipstick your talkin about is for the torque converter and it takes atf fluid. I don't know the quantity as I've never changed it and couldn't find it in the service book. The plug to check the transmission is on the right side if your lookin at it from the back of the tractor. Ours has 90 wt. in it. Sounds like your problem is in the torque converter. I just changed the transmission in ours and it's not a bad job.
Ya cain't fix stupid.
FarmerJoeVT View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:18pm
I am hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what is going on with my AC 715 Backhoe. I recently ran her out of gas and when I restarted her after bleeding the lines the starter went and needed to replaced. While waiting for it to come in the mail, I replaced all the filters (oil & fuel), did a oil change, and put some atf fluid in what I believe is the dip stick on the left side of the tractor for the transmission since it was low. When the starter arrived, I installed it and it started up. However it now does not want to go forward or reverse, when it was previously working fine. I had this happen once before and a buddy of mine jump in the cab and pulled up on the differential handle and then it worked. I have repeated this too many time to count without success. I have also put links before to show you what is going on via a couple youtube videos I created for you to see first hand. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/tKQHVm5iqRE
https://youtu.be/mljDW8ihbXE

Very respectfully,
Joe

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 16 Jun 2015 at 7:20pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 1:07pm

Thank you Coke-in-MN. But before we had a chance to troubleshoot it, we found a pretty big leak from the housing that directly follows the oil pan. So we had to take the oil pain off to figure out how to seal the leak, it appears to be a bad gasket.

I have the parts and maintenance manual for the machine, but they are not very helpful for a DYI-er like myself with little to no experience working on cars or machinery. So I sincerely appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

On that note, before the leak happened I put ATF fluid in the dip stick located on the left side of the machine above the crank starter. Can you verify what this is, type of fluid, and the amount of fluid this requires. I've read a variety of information that is quite the range. I believe that this is the transmission fluid dip stick, but I am not entirely sure.

Additionally, could you explain to me what the different parts are from the front of the crankshaft pulley back. From what I have been able to gather it starts at the crankshaft pulley goes into the crankshaft, which then goes into the transmission?, then the gear box, then the drive train, to the differential, and then the brakes (which I also need to figure how to change or fix because they are horrible but still work), then back to the backhoe. Also any information on fluid types, amounts, and where to check them/add them.

We are desperate to get it working beyond running for 5 minutes. We've already replaced the starter, oil/fuel filters, and a flat tire.

Any and all wisdom you can pass our way is greatly appreciated.
Very respectfully,

Joe

On that note, before the leak happened I put ATF fluid in the tip stick location on the left side of the machine above the crankstarter. Can you verify the amount of fluid this requires. I've read a variety of people post that state quite the range. I believe that this is the transmission fluid dip stick, but I am not entirely sure.

Additionally, could you explain to me what the different parts are from the front crankshaft pulley back. From what I have been able to gather is that the crankshaft pulley goes into the crankshaft, which then goes into the transmission?, then the gear box, then the drive train, to the differential, and then the brakes (which I also need to figure how to change or fix because they are horrible but still work), then back backhoe.

Any information on fluid types, amounts, and where to check them/add them.

We are desperate to get it working beyond running for 5 minutes. We've already replaced the starter, oil/fuel filters, and a flat tire. Any and all wisdom you can pass our way is greatly appreciated.

Very respectfully,
Joe

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 12 Jun 2015 at 1:12pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 10:17pm
the floating lever is the differential lock for rear , 
check the valve linkage on the far left pedal that is a relief to transmission hydraulics 
 next is to do pressure check on system ,  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 9:33pm
Update: I was able to use her in the fall just fine before getting a flat tire. Replaced the tire, oil & fuel filters, and bad pulley. It ran fine before I ran her out of fuel again (epic failure). :) Bled the lines and started her up again. Drove her around for about 20 minutes and as soon as I put her under load, it chugged out and died. When I tried to restart it there was a terrible sound coming from the starter, which I just replaced. Now she will start fine, however will not drive forward or reverse. I've lifted it off the ground completely with the stabilizers and the front bucket and still nothing. We had this problem once before and a friend literally reached down and pulled up on the floating lever next to the seat and it engaged the wheels and ran fine. This is something I have attempted numerous times now, with out success. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Very respectfully,
Joe

Edited by FarmerJoeVT - 07 Jun 2015 at 9:35pm
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 5:40pm
You eay after running acouple hrs. it works. Sounds like a frozen filter or water "ice" in a low spot. Cal in Ct
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 1:16pm
The fwd reverser in my 816 (much the same as the 715) had taken in water in the previous ownership and it would act a lot like you're describing. After lots of flushing and a new oil pump (old pump was badly scored and the seal was leaking) it worked like normal. On another machine with the same Borg Warner fwd reverser the flex plate between the flywheel and the converter cracked up enough to make the converter wobble to the point that the converter would no longer pull the pump. This would give slight movements to the wheels but not enough to operate the machine.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:28am
Water pump, or alternator are the only outside things , belt could be bad also . 
Now behind the front cover are a few things but squeak from there /
Adding extra lights could be putting a higher load on alternator causing belt to slip.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 27 Nov 2014 at 7:30am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 6:14pm
Try a new fan belt, and check the gen/alternator.  
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:54pm
It is magically working again, not sure what has changed. But after running her for a couple hours, now I am getting a weird sound in the pulleys. Not sure if its a bad bearing or something. But its in between the engine and the radiator fan, need to isolate the sound/area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:54pm
fluid needs to be checked with engine running as pump to fill torque converter need to operate . 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:18am
fluid level in fwd rev section of clutch pack . low pressure , worn clutches , bad o ring internally , plugged filter , pedal linkage to floor pedal out of adjustment , 
 When the unit is in neutral and wheels off the ground there is enough torque transmitted through unit to turn rear wheels through fwd  rev unit .

pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 5:21am
If your back end turns freely when there off the ground and there is no noises then it sounds to me as your clutch has gone bad or possible linkage problem. just my thought.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerJoeVT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:21pm
I am having a problem with my Allis Chalmers 715 stopped moving, forward or backward. No loud noises. I was wondering if anyone knows a solution. My Allis Chalmer 715 Backhoe/Loader just randomly started to do this right after changing the fuel filters and installing off road lighting. Hoping you have some points of wisdom or help that you can share with me. I bought it used and it has been running fine up until this issue. The drive train spins and when i lift the back tires off the ground they spin as well. However when it is on the ground it does not want to move. Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic