This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stripped CA Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped CA Weight
    Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:44pm
I have been building a CA puller and have got it down to 2350 naked, has anybody got their's any lighter or have any ideas of how to improve it?
Sponsored Links

1955allisca View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:59pm
Anybody else wunna show off their CA pullers?
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 9:44pm
I would love to, but I can't do pictures. But , at Lynden, WA my wife hooked 5 times and got 5 blues with the CA. They started to call her 'ol Full pull cause every time she hooked she took it out the end @ 260 ft. It is'nt fast with a stock motor but it just won't quit pullin. I pulled it @ 3k and won the class BUT, not a FP like she does.
dgerth
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:11am
We just do the percentage tug pulls around here, there are speed distance pulls but the lightest class is 3500, i pulled a distance pull for fun and every other tractor ran out of power but the stock CA even with 14.9-26s turned the tires like nothing
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:31am
"Burgie"
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:20am
Mine is 2300 as is with most of the stock stuff still on it.

take the fenders off
Take the seat assembly off and use a cheap light seat
Take the brake pedals and hardware off and use B hand brake levers

How is the front pedestal holding up with the front weights hanging off of it like that?

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:23am
I've also seen:
Take the throttle quadrant, and steering support off.
Remove the steering shaft cover and shorten shaft and use a PVC cover
Remove the tank support and use lighter material
Move the battery up front. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 6:14pm
If your really serious you can get a CA to weigh 2000 pounds with a 125 pound driver. Small lightweight front tires, magneto, no battery, no starter, PTO delete cover, Pressed steel rear rims and tubeless tires. All this can be done with no aluminum whatsoever. When I did this more than 20 years ago I i only had a stock engine and I could easily run third gear with 12.4X24 rear tires. I smoked cubs ponys and Gs so bad that most everywhere I went they were such poor losers that I was generally always asked not to bring that CA back
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:20pm
mjbower View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:53pm
Can't wait to get my CA done. It's always a carp shoot till you hit the scales. Pinky there she's the one to shoot for that one is built right. My dream is to run 14.9 28s on a some day but the sky's the limit. Good luck to all.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm
The speed you want to run with what power you have is the factor for tire size. Even a stock CA can use some quite large tires for LOW gear pulling. What fun is thatBig smile How about 18.4X28 in 3rd gear at 3000 pounds? Now that's a rideThumbs Up

http://youtu.be/GXU6b43E6ro
[TUBE]GXU6b43E6ro[/TUBE]

Edited by PaulB - 01 Jul 2017 at 6:47pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955allisca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 6:34pm
Has anyone weighed the fuel tank support underneath? I want an actual number.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm

I heard Pinky would stay home with her C if She thought Paul B was pullin his CA against her. Correct me if this isn't true

Jamie NC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:27pm
Pinky and Paul b never pulled against each other that i know of. We talked about going to a pull to compete with paul b but if i remember right paul b was not pulling very often with my self and pinky where competing.
Allis tractor puller CA WC WD D17
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm
Is anyone up to the challenge to see who has the strongest 2500 pound pullerQuestion   Our last pull for the season will be October 7th at the Anne Arundle County Fairgrounds in Crownsville, Md. I'll pay the entry fee & give you a $50 Outback card to anyone that can out pull even my non turbo CAThumbs Up If you have a stronger lightweight puller, I'd like to see it. Any challengersBig smile If you want to come just say so. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 3:20pm
let me see what I need to dump to get below #2500.with my #175 in the seat.  All my cast iron weights (2 engine side weights & 2 Farmall Wheel Weights.and all the liquid ballast (water) in my 13-6 24  Firestones.  On paper I am now at  2400 pounds with me in the seat.
    I can hang my 5 100 pound suitcases and pull #3000 easy enough.

Most pulls around here close allow but 2 pulls

Edited by Ken in Texas - 28 Sep 2017 at 3:25pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:57pm
Well I got my CA down to 2500 with me driving. Where should I hang 500 lbs of weights? AHEAD of but close to the centerline of the rear axle or BEHIND the Centerline of the rear axle to pull good  in 3000. I'm leaning to slightly ahead 

Seems like if I hang 500 pounds of weight behind the  rear axle I will be  way light up front.   All out of Balance Front to Rear.     

I really enjoyed pulling this CA in #3500 and #4000.  Plenty power stock.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Ken: a good ballpark to get started would be 80% to the rear tires weight and 20% to the front. The distance behind the rear axle would alter the actual weigh place there. Now that you can get to 2500 are you willing to head this way? If you still plan on running low gear for 2500 power will not be you problem, proper balance will be. It will most likely require as much weight as you have available out front and a long drawbar.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
I would like to pull in second gear.  Books say a CA goes 3.5 MPH tops in 2nd gear. Whenever I try pulling in second the HORN blows and I got to back out of it or DQ
It Has to be the bigger than stock tire size I run.
    I have been pulling 3500 and 4000 with much success. Learning to get a good setup for pulling 2500 and 3000 is a whole new ball game for me.
    Pulling 4000 most of my added weight is water and wheel weights and 400 lbs behind the axle.  Engine Side weights hang  vertical by 1 bolt in the last hole in the torque tube below the battery box. Another 100 pounds hang below clutch.    The most forward weight naturally is the cast SFW and engine.  Front gets light but don't rare up rodeo style.
    Pulling in 4000 with a Stock Engine in a CA is a hoot on a hard track. Lots of heavy duty competition in this class. I find the CA most aggressive the heavier I load it. Haven't broke anything yet. 
   Now it's time to go the other way.  
   Need tips on tire pressure for light pulling classes.  Firestone F&R 13-6 24 on 11" rims

Edited by Ken in Texas - 03 Oct 2017 at 12:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:49pm
Certified Scale weight this morning with 500 pounds of suitcase weights on drawbar Exactly 2920.     front to back is 720 <> 2200.     80 pounds short of 3000.
I can make that up with water.  5 gal per rear tire.  rear weight should stand at 2280
     To get down to 2500 all I need to do is dump the 500 pounds of rear hanging weights. 
Now what?   I can't lighten the front any less without a light front wheel.    Front to back should be something like 720 <> 1780  pulling 2500  

Unless my math is all screwed up there is no way to achieve a 80 -20 balance in either light weight class

Edited by Ken in Texas - 03 Oct 2017 at 12:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic