This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I turn them

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I turn them
    Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:26pm
I just built a motor for my wc 4 1/8 flat tops with a 45 crank, manifold and carb at about 10:1 compression at 1800rpm. My question is its got 14.9/24 on it which probably way to small and only other tires I have are 12.4/38 of my f20 to you guys think it will turn them. Also wondering about murphys roller rockers how much will they help on my motor if any. Thanks, Zeb
Sponsored Links

WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:40pm
i would think so. Guess it would depend on the track and the amount of grip your tires have.
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:51pm
Give it shot, if they don't work out you're not out anything
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:02pm
I guess I should of told you what they are. Theyare Firestone field and road about half tread nice and sharp and hard so they should hook decent I'm hopping it'll turn them.
ac boy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:20pm
is their a pace? and what weight? when I was antique pulling kind off had the same set up but in a wd. if your pulling 3500 you should be fine
patrickmull View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:21pm
where are you going to pull at/ at the rpm you have the roller rocker won't help you I would spend your money on things that give more HP

Edited by patrickmull - 18 Feb 2014 at 8:27pm
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:24pm
3500 to 4000, some are first gear only but most are 4 mph.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:28pm
We pull at jerseyville, shumway, clarksburg, altamont and a few other closer to home.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:34pm
i have pulled clarksburg i am going to try to hit shumway and altamont this year you've got cero gordo and deland up there you can try casey also
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:37pm
I forgot cerro gordo we go to it I'd like to drive down and pull at Casey at least once this year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 8:41pm
when we get the schedule done i will get you one
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 9:58pm
I think you'll be just fine with your 38s. If you run across some guys with a wide front WD 45 stop buy and visit. We usually get to both Shumway pulls and Altamont ,Clarksburg and a couple of Casey also.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 7:22pm
Seems like I always have something I gotta work on during the Clarksburg pull.Shame since I'm only a mile south of there. Priorities?
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 10:33pm
IF YOU NEED MORE RPMS IN LOW GEAR TO GET THE HP, A [RC] RING & PINION IS GEARED LOWER , SOME GUYS USE THEM SO THEY CAN RUN 2nd IN THE LIGHT FAST CLASS.           PS WITH 10:1 RATIO YOU WILL IN A LOT OF OCTANE.        GOOD LUCKY THIS SUMMER   
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 10:48pm
I put the pistons in the motor I'm building tonight. At tdc there is a 3/8 gap will this be to close to the head. If the piston is all the way up all the valves should be closed right I guess I just want to make sure that when one is up four doesn't hit any valves. At this gap I came up with about 11:1 does this sound about right?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:07pm
go here and use the shop math link it will be helpful http://www.murphysmotorservice.com/ sorry wrong one try this one http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html enter 0 onpiston top  it will get you the right number 

Edited by patrickmull - 09 Mar 2014 at 11:14pm
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:26pm
I came up with 11.18:1 for the compression. What about the valves it won't hit them will it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickmull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:31pm
mine is a little closer they don't hit
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 12:32pm
That gap is fine. You wont have any clearance problems there.
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 1:55pm
Late last night when I measured it i messed up I measured it today and it was 5/16 which came out to be like 12.86:1 on compression. Is this still ok on the gap. Thanks again, Zeb
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:16pm
Im not sure when you get down to that small, That just makes me think that is a really small chamber to have a good fuel/air mixtures and good ignition. Thats just me though. I ran a simular set up and i may not have had is set up well.. but i was not very happy with the outcome. I ended up rebuilding the motor again with a simple set up and i love how it pulls now.
Sorry for the long story, Im sure someone else will tell you better but i just havent had good luck with really high compression setups.
Good luck on the motor build. Would like to see the out come....Mine was running 248psi comp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic