This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment -Knowledge Base
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BalPak Disc bearing rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BalPak Disc bearing rebuild
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 6:17pm
I’ve searched all over trying to find the original bal pak disc bearings for the old Allis Chalmers without paying $200+ per bearing from AGCO. I was finally able to rebuild my own and because I never found much solid data online I thought I’d post what I did and all the specs for the original bearing.

In the first picture you can see the bad bearing after I took it apart. In the top center of the picture is the actual bearing which measures 2.835 OD, 1.375 ID, bearing center is .983 wide and the outside is .680. The bearing is press fitted onto the bushing in the bottom center of the picture which measures 1.379 OD, 1.015 ID by 2.388 wide. Over the center bushing and on each side of the bearing was pressed the side bushings shown on the top and bottom right of the picture. These measured about 1.94 OD (they were so wore and pitted I could take a precise measurement), 1.375 ID by .720 wide. The seals on the left were fitted over the side bushings and all this was pressed inside the wide 3” tube clamped onto the bearing hangers and the disk gang shaft ran through the center bushing
{IMG]http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/7198/BalPak_Old.JPG" height="436" width="653[/IMG]

The second picture shows all the new parts I found for the rebuild. The bearing came from Agri industrial supply p/n 88107 for $33 and had the same exact specs as the original, This is a sealed bearing and made for disk type applications. I found that timkin bearing 207KRR was also the same spec bearing. The Timkin seals p/n 472653 are $12 each off amazon.com and have a 2”ID and 2.835-2.839 OD by .375 wide. I was able to reuse the center bushing and had two new side bushings turned on a lathe to 1.375ID by 2” OD by .720 wide. I pressed the bearing and side bushings onto the center bushing then pressed the whole thing into the outer casing. The two felt seals on the left are actually the front felt wheel bearing seals for a wd. I worked as much grease as possible into the seals , fit them over the side bearing, and installed the timkin seals. I thought the felt seals would help seal dirt out of the main bearing which was the whole idea of the balpak bearings. I really don’t expect the external seals to last very well in the dirt over time. Total cost was about $80 because I had the tool room at work turn the side bushing’s for free on break. Still a lot more than an Oliver bearing but still better than a $200+ for a new one or buying a used bearing for almost the same price.

Edited by Allis dave - 15 Oct 2015 at 3:12pm
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 11:49am

That's good to know. I have one of those dead on a SC disc too. Thanks for the info.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 12:59pm
Very well done post.  I appreciate you including your measurements and part numbers.  They will come in handy when I need them.
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 3:23pm
Great work!  Any pics of the rebuilt unit before you installed it in the housing?  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 8:18am
Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me at the shop during assembly. Here is picture of a bearing before dissambly from an old post on yesterdays tractors. At the very center of the bearing you can see the center bushing that slides over the disk axle. pressed over that you can see the what I call the side bushings. over that is the rubber seal, and over that is the tube the whole assembly is pressed into. If you found the right sized pipe 1.375ID by 2” OD you could just cut the side bushings without needing to machine them. I found some pipe that size online, but all the local steel supplier had was 1.250 ID. www.onlinemetals.com sells the correct size pipe, but it's expensive for just a small section + shipping.

wood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:08am
Now that you no what to do, we can send you our bearing and you can build them. For a reasonable  fee.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 5:01pm
I have thought about rebuilding them for people, but I figure by the time I have $80 in parts + $20 shipping + $20 for labor = $120 the bearing are starting to get expensive again. Really the only thing you'd need special for the rebuild is a press becasue all the bushings are press fit. If someone oculdn't rebuild one themselves I'd be willing to help out.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 10:49am
Chuck I mean correction Dave, (reply to chuck's post brings us here to Daves' post!)

Good work! What AC disc is this for? I am not up on the bearings for discs?
I have an old AC 8 foot snap coupler disc.

Edited by allischalmerguy - 02 Jan 2014 at 10:54am
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 11:37am
As far as I know, they started using these bal pak bearings right after the old trail type disks without wheels that used wood bearing. They were the same bearing on the on all the mounted snap coupler disks and the 8', 10', and 12' 200 series disks. I've even seen 18' disks with bal pak bearings. I don't remember what model they finally switched to the more modern style bearings with, 2500 maybe?
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 4:45pm
Thanks Dave.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Ray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:34pm
I have a few of the original bearing. 785-353-2392
Big Orange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 11:28am
The last hex bearing AC sold had A powdered medal hex sleeve, that broke very early after installation & the bearing failed. Will A round sleeve work on A hex shaft?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 5:42pm
I started reading the first post and did not see any first picture, so here is the pic.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:51am
The 70330133 brg has been discontinued.. the hex version is $till available...
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:25pm
I got lucky and found a couple NOS 330133 bearings. A 3rd one I had to rebuild using the bearings shown. I was able to get the outer sleeve off and salvage the original seals.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 9:05pm
I sure would love to find a seal that matched the original
Ray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:11pm
I still have a few of the Bal-Pak (used) bearing for sale. Some 1 inch center hole and some 1 inch hex hole.785-353-2392
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:35pm
I was curious too..... See photos below.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
Great break down of this , thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic