This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talked to an AGCO rep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talked to an AGCO rep today
    Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 10:16pm
Went to the Colorado Farm Show in Greeley and noticed a gentleman with an AGCO logo on his shirt, it also says "Your Agricultural Company" so I, of course had to set him straight.  He's been with the company for several years and was well aware of the meaning.  I told him I thought ol Marty was a moron, to which he replied " He does have a different outlook for the company.  I asked what he thought the real reason for dropping the orange line and he said the company decided they couldn't afford to support three lines of tractors in NA.  I pointed out the Valta color choices in Europe.  He didn't disagree but pointed out Marty's goal is to drive the stock price up, which he has succeeded, at least so far.  Said the main concern from dealers and farmers was in the midwest, which I pointed out was AGCO's biggest market.  He said yes but MF is a world market.  We didn't discuss South America.  Anyway, seems like a nice guy, I feel sorry for him having to listen to us Allis guys complaining.  BTW he does check out this site, guess it's well known by AGCO employees. Oh Yeah, he mentioned they are opening a large tractor plant somewhere in the US.

Edited by JohnCO - 25 Jan 2011 at 10:21pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 10:39pm
I see AGCO closed above $51 a share today.  Quite a premium from a couple years ago.  I'd sooner have orange tractors than the premium on my stock though.    Too bad "ol Marty" doesn't get it and can only see $$ signs driving his decisions.  I guess that keeps him a job though.  Thanks for sharing this story, I found it quite insightful.
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:26pm
Stock prices go up and down. Customer loyalty exists or doesn't.
MI8050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI8050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 4:15am
I agree with everyone and their concerns over losing the orange heritage with AGCO.  On the other hand, if the company isn't strong and profitable it will go away as well.  We have two dealers pushing the Massey brand hard in my part of MI. right now and it seems as though every so often another AGCO store is adding MF.  At some point maybe I would consider one, they are supposed to be a heck of a nice tractor, in the meantime if the 8050 expires it will get a Magnum to replace it.  How much can it really cost agco to offer orange paint and decals?  The way their dealer system has been setup with some being Gleaner, MF, AGCO, Challenger, White planter or just AGCO parts needed revision.  An AGCO dealer needs to handle the brands products period.  All of them in one house, for the sake of simple.  They have left alot of areas uncovered because of this. 
bigallis1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigallis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:08am
Bet if Agco did an honest and fair survey of North America operations they would find enough interest in ORANGE paint and Agco decals.
ORANGE paint could be a special order option.
There's no way that would hurt the stock prices.
And it might even sell a few more tractors.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:18am
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Went to the Colorado Farm Show in Greeley and noticed a gentleman with an AGCO logo on his shirt, it also says "Your Agricultural Company" so I, of course had to set him straight.  He's been with the company for several years and was well aware of the meaning.  I told him I thought ol Marty was a moron, to which he replied " He does have a different outlook for the company.  I asked what he thought the real reason for dropping the orange line and he said the company decided they couldn't afford to support three lines of tractors in NA.  I pointed out the Valta color choices in Europe.  He didn't disagree but pointed out Marty's goal is to drive the stock price up, which he has succeeded, at least so far.  Said the main concern from dealers and farmers was in the midwest, which I pointed out was AGCO's biggest market.  He said yes but MF is a world market.  We didn't discuss South America.  Anyway, seems like a nice guy, I feel sorry for him having to listen to us Allis guys complaining.  BTW he does check out this site, guess it's well known by AGCO employees. Oh Yeah, he mentioned they are opening a large tractor plant somewhere in the US.

There you go....thats what I hate about modern corporate thinking...Its all about "stock price"  its no longer about making a fair profit by providing quality goods and services, taking care of your customers, and treating your employees as  more than just an "expense"...  If a good stock price was to be obtained by doing all of the opposite of what I just described, no doubt CEO's would do it.  "Stock Price" is too much tied with perceptions.  God help  Marty if those perceptions change.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:49am
Deutz bought Allis just to gut it literally. They sold the tooling and the property for profits. They never intended to make anything out of Allis contrary to what they said. AGCO was taken over by foreign interests without anyone knowing it. Now they are gutting it like Deutz did to Allis for profits to the stock holders. I wouldn't trust them on one thing they ever say. Stock holders don't care about the farmer or the plant workers. They only care about the bottom line. They make all important decisions. Bringing out a new combine like the Super 7 is a minor decision bringing minor potential for minor profits. The real money for stock holders comes with layoffs and buyouts and the gutting of companies. That's what they care about and that's what runs AGCO......excuse me I mean Massey Ferguson. If the profits become great enough they will eat their own like a cannibal and suck the blood out of anything else like a vampire. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:57am
Lonn,

That is the short term way for sure..... Most of these types are in it for the short term, they want to get a quick payout up front, and a package on the back end. Then, it's off to the next company....

Having said that, the truth is that you can't save your way to prosperity.  At some point it does become cannibalistic and things go south. Marty realized that before he took the job, and you can bet his exit strategy is already planned.

The only question for him is: "How much money can I take out of this place before I go..."?
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:00am
Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

There you go....thats what I hate about modern corporate thinking...Its all about "stock price"  its no longer about making a fair profit by providing quality goods and services, taking care of your customers, and treating your employees as  more than just an "expense"...  If a good stock price was to be obtained by doing all of the opposite of what I just described, no doubt CEO's would do it.  "Stock Price" is too much tied with perceptions.  God help  Marty if those perceptions change.

I agree with your position but AGCO has to compete in a "Global Economy" and unfortunatly Allis is not a Global brand like Massey is.  I read an article where Mahindra is positioning themselves to be the worlds largest seller of tractors and being located in India they already have a price advantage over American producers.
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:46am
I'm slow so it takes me awhile.  But, I've learned a lot, as far as I'm concerned, from the recent Wall Street bailouts and AGCO is that they don't care anything about their product or their consumer.  All Wall Street, (non privately owned companies), care about is stock price.  I have no doubt that on paper cutting AGCO branded orange tractors saved them some money.  The question is how much will it cost them in the long run?  Now I put a premium on what kind of company it is before I buy it's equipment.  It's why my hay equipment is Vermeer now.

AGCO's stock price is only going up, IMO, because of commodity prices and the BS coming from the stock friendly types at AGCO.

Here's an interesting read on AGCO.  It basically lines up how AGCO made acquisitions at far below value and sold off assets to make money.  I don't know if AGCO knows how to make a product and make money on their own.  I think their scared a little but eventually their going to have to make their own products and advance them through R&D on their own.  The new DT, RT tractors and Super 7 combine are what their going to have to do to compete and I think their realizing that it costs more to R&D and make then it does to buy and gut.  Margins are lower and prices will go up.
uploads/160/AGCOhistory.pdf

Either way I think their screwed.  Most AGCO buyers have some understanding, at least, of the AC/Deutz-Allis/AGCO-Allis/AGCO/MF transition.  Tractors should last 20-30 years or more and when you buy an AC and before the life of your tractor has extinguished the company you've bought it from has essentially changed directions 4-5 times you get leery of it's future.

Edited by Byron WC in SW Wi - 26 Jan 2011 at 7:47am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:57am
Originally posted by TexasAllis TexasAllis wrote:

Originally posted by TomYaz TomYaz wrote:

I agree with your position but AGCO has to compete in a "Global Economy" and unfortunatly Allis is not a Global brand like Massey is.  I read an article where Mahindra is positioning themselves to be the worlds largest seller of tractors and being located in India they already have a price advantage over American producers.

So Allis isn't Global but Valtra is? Doesn't fly with me. I only heard of Valtra cause AGCO introduced it here. Did AGCO introduce Allis to Europe? I doubt it but in any case Valtra isn't global no matter how you try and tell me it is.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 8:45am

With all this talk of "World Company" how is the orange tractor not a world tractor? Didnt they get sold in south america and i think austrailia and some other countries.

redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:06am
Allis Chalmers was sure as heck a global company. The only reason Agco isn't a global company now is because Agco dropped the ball. Provide an entire product line under the Agco-Allis banner and just watch what happens. Putting the orange product line on a starvation diet sure isn't going to allow them to flourish.
By forgetting the old adage, "the customer is always right", they have pretty well sealed their fate. I am a customer, and what I do has a lot more to do with the future of the company than a bunch of stockbrokers. Stockbrokers haven't displayed a lot of great judgement lately anyway. Why would you want to kiss up to them?
If they try to sell me an orange machine that still says "massey" on it anywhere, it won't work.

Edited by redline - 26 Jan 2011 at 10:08am
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:36am
I agree 100%. Allis-Chalmers was a worldwide company and that is what made them who they were. Unlike AGCO they sold their product line all around the world with either the Allis-Chalmers name on it or the Gleaner combine name, and even they said AC on them. AGCO must think that the AC name had no effect over seas but there is proof that it did. Just look at forum members like Dutchboy Johan from the Netherlands, he is very much an AC fan just like all of us and would probably love to have the option to buy a orange tractor that supported the AC lineage as well. We must all be missing AGCO's point but it just seems to me that they could have a better impact if they just sold things under the AGCO or AGCO Allis name, along with Gleaner, rather than the 6 or 7 companies they have now. What ever their point is. them not including their AC heritage in it has done made up my mind way in advance. If the time comes that I would ever need a different tractor I would go out and buy an old Allis-Chalmers than a new Massey because that is just who I am. I do not approve of AGCO's stupidity therefore I will not buy any new equipment or tractors from them. The only thing that they will get me to pay for is parts to fix and maintain my old AC (and Oliver) tractors. Maybe if more people did this rather than to give in to MF they would get the point and perhaps change some things. But until then, not meaning to steal someone's motto, but ORANGE IS GONE AND SO AM I.  
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:51am
As I was walking around the show yesterday, I couldn't help to be overwhelmed by the size and complexity of the machinery.  I was looking at a JD combine and saw three different computer "black boxes" on it.  I climbed on one of the big AGCO, er Massey tractors and felt I should be contacting the tower for instructions.  I know there are a lot of BTO's out there and they are the ones buying the iron but there are a lot of smaller guys with 1,000 acres of prime ground that do just fine with less technology.  Makes me think maybe Mahindra has the right idea.  Simple tractors for the masses.   The bottom line seems to be that until there is a shakeup at the top AGCO is going to continue doing what it's been doing.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:54am
Most of the tractor is black, with Colored hood, fenders and other "do-dads"  If the state and county can order tractors in white, yellow and other special colors, why cant we get them in orange?  AGCO wants you to buy off the lot, but if you order a tractor custom, I'll bet you could get it chromed.  
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Dave Richards (WV) Dave Richards (WV) wrote:

Most of the tractor is black, with Colored hood, fenders and other "do-dads"  If the state and county can order tractors in white, yellow and other special colors, why cant we get them in orange?  AGCO wants you to buy off the lot, but if you order a tractor custom, I'll bet you could get it chromed.  
There would probably be some dumb___ (fill in the blank with the expletive of your choice) that would insist on a massey decal on it for you. That doesn't cut the mustard in my view.
Red decals on the Gleaners is a real slap in the face, too. Our dealer is supposed to be looking into getting orange replacements for at least a couple of machines they sold last month. I imagine if either one of them shows up with MF referenced on them anywhere, there will be something hit the fan.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 12:35pm
Daehler:  The Agco Allis tractors sold in South America are painted a Deutz Green as the Deutz tractor was very popular there.  It is not really an AC connection other then Deutz owned Deutz-Allis.
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:42pm
REDLINE, I can predict the future and it is not good.

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 26 Jan 2011 at 1:43pm
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by AllisChalmers37 AllisChalmers37 wrote:

REDLINE, I can predict the future and it is not good.

That is just plain disgusting. I am feeling a little queasy now. I think our only hope is for Marty to take early retirement.
You gotta keep the punches above the belt.

Edited by redline - 26 Jan 2011 at 1:49pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Spud Spud wrote:

Daehler:  The Agco Allis tractors sold in South America are painted a Deutz Green as the Deutz tractor was very popular there.  It is not really an AC connection other then Deutz owned Deutz-Allis.

You mean to tell me they would sell a certain colored tractor in South America because that is what was popular there? Perish the thought. This must be stopped. That's not global thinking. Surely you meant they were selling red or yellow tractors cause red and yellow are global.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Mike(SEIN) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike(SEIN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 3:06pm
Me thinks Marty speak with forked tounge
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 3:10pm
Yeah.  Didn't Richenhagen say that in India you have to make the fenders square so people can ride on them or they won't buy your tractor.  Then he said something about in China wasn't it green that was the sign of your spouse cheating on you so green ones don't sell there.  And yes they've have had a tractor in Brazil with the Allis name on it, (Deutz-Allis), for a long time because that's what's popular there.  In any European country you can buy a Valtra with maybe a choice of seven different colors.  So, basically he's saying that all those small countries are more important than the US market.  They say in the Midwest orange outsold red 4 to 1 so what do you think of the Midwest Mr. Richenhagen.  I'm not an expert but I bet just the Midwest buys more farm equipment than Brazil and most likely more, money wise, than India.  I bet we also spank every European country in the behind.  Don't get me wrong, I'm am not down on any of those countries.  I'm just saying we apparently don't have a voice or he figures he can come in here and tell us what we want. 

OK, gotta get off my horse.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

You mean to tell me they would sell a certain colored tractor in South America because that is what was popular there? Perish the thought. This must be stopped. That's not global thinking. Surely you meant they were selling red or yellow tractors cause red and yellow are global.

Good one!
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 4:07pm
I would like to comment, but it might be taken the wrong way.  I am an Allis lover, my blood runs ORANGE.  However, I own Agco stock and hope to make a profit on it.  As far as the Agco product NOW is concerned, I would not own it.  AGCO is a modern corp and as such, it will do anything it can to improve its bottom line.  "Smarty Marty" has set  the course and will either buy or sell portions of the corp to improve the bottom line.  Also keep in mind that there is nothing saying he might sell the corp as a whole or even move the headquarters out of the US.  Allis Chalmers is not dead as "we the loyal customers" will not let the name die. - AL
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by ALinIL ALinIL wrote:

I would like to comment, but it might be taken the wrong way.  I am an Allis lover, my blood runs ORANGE.  However, I own Agco stock and hope to make a profit on it.  As far as the Agco product NOW is concerned, I would not own it.  AGCO is a modern corp and as such, it will do anything it can to improve its bottom line.  "Smarty Marty" has set  the course and will either buy or sell portions of the corp to improve the bottom line.  Also keep in mind that there is nothing saying he might sell the corp as a whole or even move the headquarters out of the US.  Allis Chalmers is not dead as "we the loyal customers" will not let the name die. - AL
We won't let Allis Chalmers die, but the direct decendant is dead in many of our eyes. I still have this Gleaner fetish, but I have no intention of owning anything else by Agco again, unless it actually says AGCO on the serial plate and decals. 

Edited by redline - 26 Jan 2011 at 4:50pm
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:02pm
Lonn.  Deutz Allis did not buy the property and tooling and sell it.  They in fact never bought it in the first place.  AC kept the West Allis plant and built tractors for DA under contract for a short time.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:13pm
Byron, Agco like every other public company is required by law to increase shareholder value.  Just like your mission is to increase the value of your farm.
The article seems to say that they did not do much R&D or manufacture much.  Then later it states that they are starting to do more with the MF aquisition.  I would say that they do plenty of R&D now with the new large series of tractors as well as the large Challenger.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 6:02am

Lonn.  Deutz Allis did not buy the property and tooling and sell it.  They in fact never bought it in the first place.  AC kept the West Allis plant and built tractors for DA under contract for a short time.

Yep, I remember that now but the same applies. They gutted the company for what they could get then dumped it. They might not have all been Deutz but someone was they and they gutted it whether it be Deutz, Allis leadership itself (Scott) or stockholders. 
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 6:03am

Byron, Agco like every other public company is required by law to increase shareholder value.  Just like your mission is to increase the value of your farm.
The article seems to say that they did not do much R&D or manufacture much.  Then later it states that they are starting to do more with the MF aquisition.  I would say that they do plenty of R&D now with the new large series of tractors as well as the large Challenger.

That's the rub when they go public.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic