This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Onan 720 help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Onan 720 help
    Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 11:44am
Picked up a 720 that seems to run strong.  Throttle response is good and only smokes for an instant at startup.  The issue seems to be the governor.  I have read the Onan master service manual on adjustment for tractor applications, and it doesn't seem to have helped. Operators manual recommends mowing in 2nd gear, however, engine bogs and speed slows when mowing taller grass/leaves.  An electric fuel pump was installed, and fuel supply is more than enough.  Any advice would be appreciated.

John
Sponsored Links

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 12:09pm
Time for a compression test, if you dont have 100 or better in each jug, not much power. Check your points, clean them they have a tendency to get oily, set the points, when I got my tractor it seemed to run o.k. but had no power, the points were not even close. Change plugs, who knows how old they are. See if this makes a difference. I'd check the coil and put new wires on as well. I also decarbed the heads and put on new gaskets, while I was in there I set the valves and got the carbon off of them. Dont mess with the governer until youve done these things first...These are the things I did when I got my 720, and the way it runs now and the way it ran when I got it, theres no comparsion...hope this helps, TREV.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 12:39pm
I 2nd the check/replace the points and plugs. Below 100psi compression means it's getting tired. Make sure you properly set the timing too. There is an Onan engies group on Yahoo where there are some real experts on these engines. Like Trev says, it's wise to decarbon the heads. From what I've learned from the Onan group guys is they can have carbon buildup on the head and piston that can be enough for the piston to hit the head and break the connecting rod.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
ACJohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the advice.  I will replace plugs/wires (wires have straight boots and hit hood) and decarb heads.  Will Seafoam do a good enough job or do I need to remove heads?
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 3:34pm
Remove the heads, its not an expensive or hard job. Seafoam isnt a bad idea, but the carb that was in my heads was not coming out with anything but mechanical intervention. Dont buy your gaskets from Cummins, find them on ebay they are usually cheaper. TREV.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic