This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

welding 300 gal fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:08pm
We welded gas tankers 99 percent of the time it was weld a patch over a dent/tear or weld crack.  The tanker was pressurized to 1 or 2 psi and with on of the tankers many fittings open to vent.  You never can get aluminum tank clean due to its more porous nature of its oxides compared to stainless or steel.  So we would let it purge for an hour of so and keep it purging while we worked on it.  This would take better than half of an liquid nitrogen tank for a full sized tankers.  For small tanks argon in a standard 110lbs would probably be better.     If it had separate sections/tanks we purged them all to ensure no explosion.  This was done in a 3 sided shed so there was no danger of suffocation. 

Edited by firebrick43 - 07 Nov 2010 at 3:18pm
Sponsored Links

FredW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 4:32pm
I have welded several with using CO2 and even just stick the air hose in the opening and weld, but I dont think I will do any more. At 66 why push my luck. I would just get another tank. Fred
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:30pm
Filled a tank with watewr right to the top and thought it was full since water was coming out of top corner leaking seam.  Put the torch to it and solder. Just as the solder melted, there was a woompf inside the tank and it buldged. ... and didn't leak anymore either.
 Another fellow had brazed up a diesel fuel tank on an old army 6X6 and  just as he closed the hole shut, it expanded. was funny to see a nice square tank with steps on the driver side and on the passenger side the tank was rounded with steps in it.
  Then there was a guy that welded lots of tanks and he would put a hose into the tank blowing air from a vacuum cleaner. had one tank blow up in all the years was when the hose fell out and he didn't notice it. 
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 5:44pm
What is the cost of purging a 300 gallon tank with Argon? What is the cost of a new 300 gallon tank? JB weld cost 6 bucks. ($12 perhaps if you need to re-repair it in a year or two)

Just my $.02

Brian
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:47pm
Before you use an epoxy, check the chemical resistant chart for the epoxy.

firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 12:46pm

Edited by firebrick43 - 11 Nov 2010 at 1:09pm
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by roughstock roughstock wrote:

What is the cost of purging a 300 gallon tank with Argon? What is the cost of a new 300 gallon tank? JB weld cost 6 bucks. ($12 perhaps if you need to re-repair it in a year or two)

Just my $.02

Brian

How much does 10 or 20 gallons, maybe even the whole tank full of fuel cost when the JB weld does fail.  Rental of an argon tank and a plate of steel is realitively cheap even in comparison to the cost of a new tank. 
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by firebrick43 firebrick43 wrote:

Originally posted by roughstock roughstock wrote:

Just my $.02

Brian

How much does 10 or 20 gallons, maybe even the whole tank full of fuel cost when the JB weld does fail.  Rental of an argon tank and a plate of steel is realitively cheap even in comparison to the cost of a new tank. 

Touche..... I didn't consider that. lol

Brian
SC Dan K. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC Dan K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 7:25pm
Just go to the auto parts store and buy fiberglass fuel tank repair K I T. even comes with a piece of sandpaper. I repaired a big tractor fuel tank over 30 years ago with one. Still holding when I last saw the tractor five years ago. Inexpensive and no explosion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic