This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis G rebuilt but won't run

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis G rebuilt but won't run
    Posted: 6 hours 12 minutes ago at 6:07pm
I bought an Allis G last year at an estate sale. It was in a dry building but had not run in 12 years. Here is what was done to it: rebuilt carburetor, fuel tank flushed clean, all fuel lines purged. Fuel flowed into the sediment bowl nicely and into the carb. Next ignition: new and proper plugs, points, rotor, cap, condenser, distributor cap, sparkplug wires, ignition switch, coil. I do have an 8 volt battery in it. I also use one in my other G that I cultivate potatoes with. So here goes: the tractor starts easily, but dies in 3 seconds. I used an ignition checker and it showed when the tractor died, it was still getting spark until the engine came to a complete stop. After tinkering, and frustration, I took the carb/sediment bowl off my other running G thinking the problem was the rebuilt carburetor. No luck. Same issue. Any ideas? I'm frustrated.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 52 minutes ago at 6:27pm
how do you crank it ?  with a KEY ?  Sometimes the coil gets FIRE when the key is in the START POSITION, then looses it when you put the key in the ON position..... Try putting a HOT WIRE directly onto the coil, then crank and see what it does.

Should not stop in 3 seconds if it is fuel.. Should take 30 seconds to suck the fuel out of the carb bowl.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC Dom View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 47 minutes ago at 6:32pm
I started it with the pull rod that leads to the starter. Ignition switch turned on.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 18 minutes ago at 7:01pm
Get a spray bottle and put gas in it. Pop off air cleaner hose to carb. Start it (helper is handy) while spraying gas mist into carb to see if keeps running beyond 3 seconds. If it continues running dependant on your spray mist, then it is a fuel problem.

jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4 hours 4 minutes ago at 8:15pm

I got the smaller harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner to clean up a stubborn carb on my Ferguson. So I also did the carb on my WD that wouldn't start last fall and saw the alternator wire was broken so a rewire project.

Rewired, new super clean carb, still not starting.
Went through the distributor cleaning posts and flanges. Swapped in the coil from my other Ferguson when it was 6v like the WD. Wasn't starting.

Sometimes you just gotta swear at the stupid machine. Fired right off!

Some reason the tractor was missing and a backfiring on test drive. Thought maybe go through the plugs when the engine cooled down. But decided to swap back to the original coil and started right up with no skips.

It just needed that bit o' cursing ;)

AC Dom View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 48 minutes ago at 8:31pm
Tomorrow I m marching right into the barn and it's going to hear language like she never heard before. I'll give you a report. lol
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 32 minutes ago at 8:47pm
i had a B that mud dobbers built a nest INSIDE the air cleaner cap above the hood... Like having the CHOKE on all the time.. it would fire off, then sputter and die....  disconnect the air cleaner from the carb and run without for a test.

Edited by steve(ill) - 3 hours 31 minutes ago at 8:48pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic