This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jobs that you wish you never took

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jobs that you wish you never took
    Posted: 6 hours 41 minutes ago at 12:52am
Hey guys I'm not sure if you remember but I bought my father's auto repair business about a year and a half ago.

Being a young energetic new business owner I'll take a stab at alot of different projects that dad wouldn't have even thought about.

Dad was mainly oil, brakes, tires, and some light mechanical if he felt like it.

I have added more suspension work, interior work like windows hvac etc, I have even taken on transmissions on rear wheel drive vehicles.

On the bigger jobs like the transmission I'll usual do that on a Saturday as to not get interrupted by the customers. It works out great.

Well about 2 weeks ago lady brings in her 2010 jeep patriot for rusted out cradles front and back. I know all about it she's my customer and I told her they were junk a long time ago. Well with the economy the way it is she wants to fix it. I give her a price which I thought was fair to both parties. She agreed so Friday morning we began removal of the cradles.

The rear cradle was the worst of the two. Bolts siezed to the bushings. Every time you used the impact the rust would rain down on a guy.

Lucky everything come apart OK. I ended up cutting 2 pieces of suspension off due to the rust and the bushings. I felt it was faster and cheaper to her to do it this way.

What have you guys gotten into and part way through wish you hadn't done this. But in the end it turned out good. I'm very proud of the out come of this project.

Edited by bobkyllo - 6 hours 40 minutes ago at 12:53am
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 4 minutes ago at 5:29am
Every major project I ever took on seemed to develop a life of its own, my 7G Allis was a never ended project , took close to 8 years of adjusting sorting, finding parts and making parts work, frustrated with it I sold it. Then my 2005 W900 KW was a abandoned mess that took 2 1/2 years as I attempted to shortcut and eventually had to pull the block and do it full on, needed or required so much extra stuff I doubt will ever be absolutely Done.

Decades ago as I had a shop and service truck as a Independent I had a client wanted a different Drop Neck transport trailer, specific to his work and could not achieve thru dealers. We drew out a rough pattern, I cleaned that up then ordered materials, had it constructed in 5 months. Ate my lunch for every spare hour or day, just awful. Then I got it finished out and the rails arched in St Louis he paid me and still has it, supports a wonderful weed patch and two trees on his farm after twelve good years as his primary haul trailer. Now they build them as that one every day.

My 99Super Duty Ford needed corners rockers and at least three doors, got into that was six months ripping stripping add another system for updates, order more parts, do more work get more overwhelmed than back at it. Is done as far as I will take it, with the money put in it will be a dependable farm wagon for years.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 50 minutes ago at 5:43am
Several years back right after the Great Recession I landed a big house to build.
These seemed like very solid people and for most of the job they were.
All the siding, trim and interior were cypress.
We were buying logs in Mississippi and having them shipped here and milled here.
Sawmill got behind and we found a place selling milled cypress so we finished the job with that.
Towards the end the guys wife got hard to get along with.
We had a company install hardwood floors. They weren’t out of sight when they wanted scaffold setup in there to install cypress car siding on the ceilings.
I had highly recommend wait on the flooring until the ceiling was done but we didn’t have the material yet.
Once the ceiling was done we pulled up the paper and could see a trail everywhere the scaffold had rolled.
They then set sail to sue the hardwood floor guy.
Everything escalated from there. Upon completion I went out and found a job with an other builder and never looked back.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 35 minutes ago at 5:58am
does marriage count ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic