This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Weight Bracket Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Weight Bracket Design
    Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 11:27am
I purchased one of these for a front weight bracket but there isn't much of substance to mount to there.  Maybe a better design would be one on each side of the tractor.  I'm thinking of a rail along the side (more substantial than the cultivator bracket) extending just behind the mid cultivator mounting bolts (perhaps attaching there by flaring it inward, initially, probably just a standoff mount).  This would allow me to mount the weight brackets in multiple places along the side of the tractor.  Closer to the front for counterbalance, closer to the back for traction.  I like these, they seem very flexible.  Easily adaptable to a 3-point as well (although they sell those also).

1952 CA13092
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 12:48pm
I have on B that has a heavy blade on the back.. I made a plate for each side of the motor that bolts to the flywheel housing holes and extends forward to the cross plate under  / behind the radiator.. There already might be a 1/2 inch hole in the front plate that was for the ORIGINAL "optional" side weights.............. then i cut an old wheel weigth in half and bolted 1/2 to each side... You could use the same holes in the flywheel housing and radiator/ axle support for your bracket..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 1:08pm
I plan to use the bolt in the front pedestal (single bolt that I think the cultivator bracket uses), plus the bell housing bolts mainly.  But I want the rail to extend just beyond the cultivator attachment position on the torque tube as well.  But they are recessed so I'll either need to flare it in or create some sort of offset bracket.  I want to use removable suitcase weights.  The OEM side weight solution is too inflexible.  I'll likely create several mounting positions for the heavy hitch.  One toward the front and one toward the back.  Not sure there is a need for a "mid" attachment point.  I hope the rail also adds slightly to the strength along the engine/torque tube as a byproduct.  I'm also considering whether the heavy hitch attachment can be hitch pins instead of bolts.  I can always use bolts if maximum capacity is needed. 
1952 CA13092
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 3:42pm
Hmmm a bracket along side the engine for extra weight. Seems to me Allis Chalmers made a weight just for that purpose. Why not build a seat for your MIL out in front. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Hmmm a bracket along side the engine for extra weight. Seems to me Allis Chalmers made a weight just for that purpose. Why not build a seat for your MIL out in front. 

Of course, but that's inflexible (not to mention near unobtainium), only a single fixed weight value.  With suitcase weights I can add whatever I like.  Also, it is a fixed position along the side.  
1952 CA13092
DSpears N IL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSpears N IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 8:16pm
I have a mid-mount along with a front weight bracket using the cultivating mounts. I use 2 42lb weights on the front. I also have 2 sets of engine side weights that I can bolt 1 set to the normal engine sides or set both sets on the mid-mount bracket.
Or use Massey suitcase weights either to the front,middle, to the back balanced side to side. The lawn tractor weights are 42#. The engine side weights are 90# each. And the Massey suitcase weights are about 80# each .
The mid-mount bracket works well for stepping on and off of the CA tractor.
The weights are secure ease on and off !
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 8:26pm
I like it.  I looked for the OEM side weights and didn't find anything reasonably priced.  I gave up looking.  I think my solution will work and allow me a lot more flexibility.  If not, I'll change it...:)  With the 3 point mod, I'm hoping to be able to handle a wider selection of implements.  I don't really expect anything over ~700lbs though.  Some of the 3pt mowers are way heavier than they need to be.
1952 CA13092
CA13414 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 9:14pm
Spectacular Job on a great looking CA!!!!  It simply looks awesome and love all the wheel and mid weights.< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Job well done!!
Helping the aged survive and thrive! 1953 CA
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2024 at 9:31pm
YEP, DeWayne... that is a nice looking tractor !
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 7:03am
by the time you have brought 2 of those weight brackets and the weight for them, you could have the OEM weights and money left over.
  The lowest price I see those brackets listed is $141 each. Then about the best price you get on the 41 pound weights is $62 each if you're willing to get 48 of them at once, otherwise they are in the $80 something range unless you want to pay extra for freight.  
  However as I see you want to ruin your CA with a 3pt there's no talking sense to some people. Why not just get a Ford or Ferguson that has a 3pt that works properly instead of a cobbled mess that will never work properly with the CAs hydraulics. As I said before if you want the low budget route, just build a seat for your MIL out in front of the radiator for her to get on and off when you need weight. As the 3pt will have the implements further out behind the rear wheels than any implement that Allis Chalmers ever designed, You'll need a LOT of weight out front.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 9:09am
Yes, but zero flexibility.  Yes, the addition of a 3pt is the reason for the need for more flexibility.  I'm not the first to add a 3pt to a CA.  Enough do it that they still manufacture add-ons.  But I didn't like the design so I've designed my own.  It will be fully cat 1/heavy duty with correct dimensions/lengths.  Although I will have some control over arm length.  I hope to keep it as close to the tractor as I can.

I'm not modifying the tractor itself (or minimally so, 1 or 2 holes in the drawbar, bent the rear platform lip from 60 to 90 degrees, relocate a hydraulic line).  It will be fairly easy to revert back to OEM pin hitch/implements.  I don't see creating a tiny number of add-ons as a big deal.  The steel for one of the rails will run maybe $60...And I consider the $150 for the heavy hitch to be a bargain.  I checked online for nearly 2 years to find a pair of side weights that were not overpriced or in timbuktu.  I was warned against dealing with a few online scammer resellers that had some so that was the nail in the coffin for my search.  I'd still like to have some but I'm not actively looking at the moment.

My design will work fine.  It's not like I'm going to go hog wild and put a 1000lb implement on it.  It's going to be a (occasionally) working tractor, not a show tractor, not a "pulling" tractor.  I can easily make it more useful, so why shouldn't I.  I'm working on this and only this tractor for sentimental reasons.  I want it to be functional again, and useful.  In practical terms, that means it has to have a 3pt.  I hate 3pt designs.  But it is necessary.
1952 CA13092
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 9:27am
EVERYONE has 3 point implements... having a 3 point on a small tractor gives you a LOT of options.... 3 point implements are easily obtained...
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2024 at 11:29pm
finding stuff like those engine side weights might plentiful back east  where i am at there is almost  0  allis chalmers anything for miles around
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2024 at 9:09am
When I sold my first Model C I let the engine weights go with it, then I bought another Model C and wish I still had the weights. They are scarce as hen's teeth around here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic