This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got myself a SP100!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got myself a SP100!
    Posted: 30 May 2024 at 1:35am
Now I need to haul if home 160 miles from Idalia, Colo. It looks to be pretty much complete except for the reel, looks like it's the 12' head version.  It was in the Big Iron auction, May 29th.  Paid more than I had hoped it would go for but Sp100's are pretty rare around these parts.  I've only seen Creston's and maybe another one at Hutch. Can someone tell me how long the machine is, or the wheelbase plus rear overhang.  I've got a couple different trailer options and have driven the route many times so hauling shouldn't be too bad.
P.S. I had to change my name again for like the 4th or 5th time to get back on, aaaarrg.

Edited by john64 - 30 May 2024 at 12:40pm
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 4:00am

Here is a link to a previous Forum Post (2017) about an SP100.

Our senior teenager at the time Creston M has provided a tremendous amount of information about the Allis SP100.

G

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/sp100-combine_topic143521.html
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 6:05am
I really had to hold myself back from buying one myself. Was one on an online auction that closed on Sunday, over at miles city Montana. Think it went for under 200 bucks. Would have been a 200 mile trip to haul it home. It too was missing the reel. Maybe having a little remorse for not buying it.
Darrel
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:51am
Originally posted by john64 john64 wrote:

Now I need to haul if home 160 miles from Idalia, Colo, around 160 miles. It looks to be pretty much complete except for the reel, looks like it's the 12' head version.  It was in the Big Iron auction, May 29th.  Paid more than I had hoped it would go for but Sp100's are pretty rare around these parts.  I've only seen Crestans and maybe an other one at Hutch. Can someone tell me how long the machine is, or the wheelbase plus rear overhang.  I've got a couple different trailer options and have driven the route many times so hauling shouldn't be too bad.
P.S. I had to change my name again for like the 4th or 5th time to get back on, aaaarrg.

Thanks for letting the "cat out of the bag" so to speak. I have thought of you and wondered about you. But without O'l Shameless and his asking about everybody I just had not commented. Sorry to not have any helpful information to share on you new toy.

So on the same note we need Creston to check in as well.  Maybe a picture of the SP 100 when you get it home will draw him in.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 9:43pm
I sure thought about bidding on that one!, had a lot of stuff on that auction on my 'watch' list. there not too many of the 'super' 100's made,, I'm sure Creston can give us the numbers
hopefully all the steel parts of the reel are there, and all ya hafta do is put on new wood.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:28pm
Did someone say SP-100? 
Hey John, I'm glad you got it! There is some controversy going around as to whether that combine is a SP-100 or a Super 100. I can assure you it's an early SP-100 with a Super 100 steering column. The reason I say early is the round cleanout hole in the ducting to the rear of the radiator. I believe that round hole was changed to a rectangular panel in about 1955 but I don't have the parts book with me to verify at the moment. The serial number would help narrow down when it was built. It's stamped on the top of the main frame, on the left side of the machine, just to the rear of where the bend in the frame is. Usually the drawbolt on the header counterbalance springs point right at it. It will read "SP-xxxx". 
To answer your questions, according to the book, the weight with the 12' header is 6,960 lbs. Height is 10'4", length 21'4", width 12'6", and wheelbase 11'7/8". Oddly specific since they say 7/8" on that last one. As far as rear overhang, there is none. The steer tires are the furthest thing to the rear of those machines. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:37pm
As far as the differences in a SP-100 and Super 100, I am asked the question at Hutchinson frequently, so a few years ago I put together this document for a newsletter article, and it shows the differences I've observed so far on the two models. Hopefully this link works. 
john64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 1:45am
Thanks for the info Creston!
I was on the fence about buying that machine until an hour or so before the end of the auction, then I decided I was going to buy it so bid higher then I thought it would go.  It's only money, right? lol
In looking at the pictures, I was kind of wondering if it had been rebuilt into a super from a regular SP, perhaps it was one of the early Supers, made from some SP100 parts left over?  I watched a video I'd taken of Cody running your machine several years ago, but I never expected to have the opportunity to buy one, so I didn't look it over as much as I should have. Twenty years ago there was one sitting at the former John Deere dealership lot in Greeley, CO but by the time I got thinking about trying to buy it, it was gone.  I hope to get some history of the one I bought when I talk to the seller, who had quite a collection of odds and ends.
My hook lift truck has a 17' bed so it looks like I can get the machine on, with the head sticking out the back and if I put it on slightly at an angle so it doesn't stick out to the right side quite as much.  It looks like I'll need to take the unloading auger off as it looks like it will be way to high.  I can't remember any low bridges between where it is and my place but there could be low phone or cable tv lines.  With the tires half or more flat, it won't be quite as high.
Another adventure!

Edited by john64 - 31 May 2024 at 1:47am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 6:05am
There is an old Allis Chalmers (not Gleaner) self-propelled combine that has been sitting outside for at least 40 years about 70 miles from me. It looks to be intact. I feel bad every time I drive by it.
wildcat2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildcat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 7:39am
Post some pictures of it when you get it loaded up.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:15am
John, if you’re worried about the auger height, all you have to do is pull the hinge pin at the base of the auger, and as long as it is attached properly at the top of the bin, it will pivot at that upper attaching point and lay flat across the top of the bin.
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

As far as the differences in a SP-100 and Super 100, I am asked the question at Hutchinson frequently, so a few years ago I put together this document for a newsletter article, and it shows the differences I've observed so far on the two models. Hopefully this link works. 

The steering wheel on early models was flat and at on later models was at an angle. They were both very dirty to run if wind was blowing toward operators platform.
john64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the auger information, Creston.  In the Big Iron pictures, it is pointing straight up, which I found kind of odd.  Hopefully, the pin will come out without too much of a battle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic