This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GPS Field Sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS Field Sizes
    Posted: 02 May 2024 at 6:35pm
We have a 80 acre farm that has been in our family for 106 years. There are three tillable fields and the rest is pasture and trees. Two of the three fields are very irregular and would be hard to accurately measure using old school means. Is there a simple GPS device and program that a person could mark the perimeters of a field and get a accurate acreage estimate?? Thanks in advance by this technology illiterate person!!!
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 7:42pm
Would measuring in an online aerial/satellite mapping tool like your local county's GIS, or the USDA's Web Soil Survey (https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/app/) get you what you need?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 7:47pm
there are APPS on Goggle and APPLE... but some discussion on how easy they are to use ( or hard) and if they are collecting your personal data ...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 7:55pm
How close do you want. I use either GIS or acre calculator on Google map. Just draw a line on field perimeter and done
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 9:32pm
My garmin gps has an app for that. I used it a couple times
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2024 at 7:25am
Acme.com/planimeter is simple, accurate and not associated with google. I’ve used it for planning purposes for years.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2024 at 8:55am
i like tbones link... site seems to work very well..

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 May 2024 at 8:57am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 7:45am
Your local Farm Service Agency office has the capability to measure that from an aerial map.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by only AC orange only AC orange wrote:

Your local Farm Service Agency office has the capability to measure that from an aerial map.

They usually do a pretty rough job of it in my experience.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Ryan Renko Ryan Renko wrote:

We have a 80 acre farm that has been in our family for 106 years. There are three tillable fields and the rest is pasture and trees. Two of the three fields are very irregular and would be hard to accurately measure using old school means. Is there a simple GPS device and program that a person could mark the perimeters of a field and get a accurate acreage estimate?? Thanks in advance by this technology illiterate person!!!

If you don't already have it --- Windows only so far as I know --- download and install FREE Google Earth Pro --- NOT the Google Earth that comes up when looking for an address --- Google Earth Pro actually installs on your system.

Find your farm and zoom WAY IN; you can actually see the rocks and tree roots.

Using the many tools included,draw yourself a big square-cornered rectangle that touches four boundary lines.

Now draw smaller rectangles and RIGHT triangles to fill in all the territory.

Google Earth Pro has a very accurate measuring tool; I have used it to measure barns that I already knew the exact measurements and it will always be within inches = plenty accurate for your needs.

Once you have all your rectangles and triangles, it is simple math to come up with total area in whatever increments suits your fancy.

Remember, flip a triangle over on it's long side to make it a rectangle, figure that rectangle's square footage and divide by two to yield the area of the triangle.

ALWAYS RIGHT TRIANGLES else this won't work.

Simple grade school math.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic