This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anybody pull a wd45 with 16.9 tires?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anybody pull a wd45 with 16.9 tires?
    Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:09pm
I was wondering if a wd45 making 49 hp. has enough power to spin out 16.9-28s
at 4000-5000 classes? How tall are 16.9s? My worn 14.9 measure 52. 

Another question is, I didnt think 28 tires could compete with 15.5-38s. 
But, I just some video of one beating 4 other tractors with 38s including 2
built WDs. Actually, I have seen that several times watching a lot of pulling
footage. Did they just get lucky? LOL
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:51pm
Tractor pulling has many variables, however if you have the power you can spin big tires. I'm guessing that you're talking "Grampa gear" pulling not "get er done" pulling. With that being said, a stock WD45 with 16.9X28 tires may not quite be enough traction although you won't have what's needed for 38s.  Most Allis pullers that run 38s have changed the gearing to be able to spin the big tall tires.
  For an example, I used to own a WD45 Diesel. It had 16.0X28 tires with good tread. In a 5000 pound class it could never place and the engine never got under load. If 2nd gear was used it would stall out quickly.  However in a 6000 pound class in 1st gear it would do well.
  If you plan on going out to pull seriously, you need to be open to trying many sets of tires that match the HP you have in the gear you want to use. One size doesn't fit all. You'll do much better with a short pair of tire that matches your power than a tall set that you can spin.
   I know that there are many that won't agree with me, however I have over 50 years of winning experience in all classes of tractor pulling from bone stock farm tractor pulling to multi engine modified tractors and everything in between
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:40pm
There are soooo many variables to this. Track soil types, the sled itself, sled chain length, your drawbar height and length, etc, etc. With what you have, there is almost zero chance of ever pulling in second gear, unless your tires are bald or you're pulling on a city street or on gravel. Sooo, where I come from, a good WD45 will wheel uncut 13.6 x 38 inch tires in LOW gear generally all the time with a stock height(16 inches) and stock length (14 inches beyond PTO shaft) drawbar in stock 4000 to 5000 pound classes.. When you raise the drawbar to 20 inches and shorten it up to 18 inches from the center of the rear wheel AND have cut tires, things change dramatically.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 7:13am
check your local rules.  If they follow NATPA rules,  5000 is lowest weight you can run 16.9x34 because of footprint.  I realize you said x 28 but just saying.  i would say a majority run taller narrow tire over short fat tire but always variables

Edited by CAL(KS) - 18 Apr 2024 at 7:16am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic