This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OFF COLOR OIL PRESSURE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OFF COLOR OIL PRESSURE
    Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:03am
I know some of you guys have Fords so I knew I could get help on this site. My 1954 NAA usually has between 40 and 60 psi on startup. Lately when it started the gauge only went to 20 then started down. I am thinking the pump needs replaced? Might it be anything else?
And what would it cost? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links

ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:10am
Sounds more like a stuck pressure relief valve to me,especially if this came on kind of suddenly, or maybe a gauge issue not out of the question.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:11am
Pump cavity and gearset could be worn, connecting rod, main bearings could be gaining additional clearance through age, use, and wear, pressure relief spring could have lost some tension, etc. 

Best start with another gauge to verify problem exists, then drop the pan and check the mains and rod bearings for clearances. If acceptable and within specifications, replace the pump. If replacing the pump not a bad idea to go with a high volume unit to provide addition oil flow through the worn engine. Not higher operating pressure, higher operating flow.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
mikeyD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:25am
Thanks. Will check pressure relief valve and replace gauge then go from there.
Appreciate your help.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:41am
No worries and hope you got a warm place to work.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
mikeyD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 1:44pm
Will wait for 50 degree day. It is 10 right now.
Thanks.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:05pm
Not familiar at all with Ford agriculture engines. But start with the easy stuff first, check the accuracy of the gauge, verify there is sufficient amount of oil in the engine, proper viscosity, etc.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
mikeyD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 9:16am
Thanks for the response.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 10:07am
relief valve is in pump ,do gauge first . When you drop pan make sure you check mains and rods ,this engine has no cam bearings

Edited by Fred in Pa - 20 Jan 2024 at 10:09am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 4:59pm
When you have the pan off, try this trick:  Take a long thin punch and whack it on an anvil or other solid steel object, remember the tone of the ring it makes.  Next, whack it against  each bearing cap.  If one or more makes a "thock" sound, take the cap off and look for a loose or spun bearing...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
mikeyD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 11:41am
Thanks Fred and Dave
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2024 at 6:59am
I rebuilt a 172. The oil pump drive shaft twisted off. The distributor drove the oil pump. After a rebuild of the engine and with the distributor out I primed the pump with a drill.  
http://lonsallischalmers.com
mikeyD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2024 at 11:28am
Thanks everyone for the responses. Changed the oil and seems to solve the problem....only had 230 hours since last change!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic