This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold weather starting a 175 Perkins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold weather starting a 175 Perkins
    Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:54pm
Tractor has the 248 Perkins diesel and according to the operator manual it is supposed to have a thermostart starting system. Can anyone tell me how to check its operation? Apparently it isn’t working. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 2:15pm
Could be a block heater or a manifold heater. Block heater would have a short power cord plugged into it that plugs into a 120v outlet. A manifold heater is located in the intake side of the engine. Look for a 4gauge heavy cable coming from a solenoid going to a connection on the manifold. My 160 has a Perkins that is set up that way. The key switch is turned to activate it. Hold the key in that position for 30 seconds and then start it. It’s the easiest starting diesel I have. My D17D also has that setup and it’s harder to start in cold weather. Requires several cycles of the heater to start below 40 degrees. My XT and D17 have a button to push to activate it instead of the key switch. NEVER use ether while using a manifold heater.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:35pm
Video demonstrating Perkins type Thermostart manifold heater.

Replacements are in the $35 range.

I would check:
12v not getting there, fuse?
Heater coil broken?
Valve won't open from the coil heat?
Valve stuck open (allowing constant oil dribble), draining the line.
Hasn't been used to 30 years, supply line clogged.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:59pm
Seems the Perkins I had in skid loader as well as the 715B TLB - its using block heater and either to get started . 
  About the same as my HD5 , electric heater to warm coolant , then shot of either . 
Only thing that starts easy is the FD5 - FIAT engine - will start below 0 without aid 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:36pm
Many Perkins 175 have or can have a small 600 watt block heater with a short AC cord and plug,  left side of block above and between injector pump and starter, check with your ohmmeter for about 20 ohms resistance and no connection to ground from the two line blades, they usually fail open, easily replaced, from Agco or Ebay!!!  IF engine has none, must pry out the block freeze plug which is there to install.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:55pm
My experience with this engine in cold weather, but this was 35 years ago- we would leave it plugged in 24-7 when cold , - it always seemed like it wasnt spinning fast enough- new battery, starter etc ;;  pull start it 10 feet and she,d pop off and be good to go; was a nice warm weather tractor !
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 6:58pm
The 175 I had started very good in the cold. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 8:20pm
Manifold heater is ok for temps above 40 degrees. Get your block heater working if you have one, if you don't have one, install one. As Big guy 1000 said above. Or there is a peculator that can be put into the coolant lines. Buy a $15 timer, plug it in, set it to come on 2 hours before you need the tractor. At 10 degrees, the tractor will spin right over and start. So much easier on batteries, starter and so on. Also be sure to have a non-gel additive in your fuel tank. Good part of a 175 is the fuel tank will absorb some of the heat from engine and fan under the sheet metal. 
Leon B MO

Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 8:57pm
We had a MF165. It started anytime without plugging it in. That one had the smaller Perkins diesel (203.5ci) It was stored inside most of the time but would start outside as well. We got it stuck once mid Jan in a horrible storm. Left it there till next day. All covered with snow. Fired right up then got it out with help from a couple other tractors. Smile
RichinIL View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 6:22am
Thanks BrianC for the info and video. Thanks for all the responses and yes it does have the factory block heater that works.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 6:29am
10W-30 motor oil cranks waaaay easier than 15W-40 oil. Most people don't know that but it is a huge difference.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 7:22am
We probably used straight 30 back then,,  makes a difference
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:37am
Dad had a 175 diesel when I was growing up, never a good starter in cold weather. I only remember the block heater. Don't remember which engine that tractor had. Would love to have it back but there is no trail, don't even know the serial no.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:09am
Mine dtarts the best
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:19am
I plugged in my 715b last week and could hear the block heater immediately start to hiss and boil.

I have not plugged it in this week as -25 seems unreasonable.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 2:18pm
Some AC175 diesels had the "Blow Torch", or "Flame Thrower" starting aid along with the block heater mentioned above.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 12 Jan 2024 at 2:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic