This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C carburetor replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C carburetor replacement
    Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm
Anyone used one of these to replace a carb? I’ve taken mine off a few times and cleaned everything but still leaks fuel out the front. Engine was just broke free last weekend and cleaned the points up and got spark at all 4 plugs. Timed everything back up but seems as though fuel is my issue now.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:43pm
the throttle arm is wrong for an Allis Chalmers with a small block (B,C,CA,RC,116.125,138,149 or 160 engines). Do some research for the correct carburetor for what you are working on.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:45pm
YES.. I installed on on a "B" last summer.. Had to take the throttle arm off and turn it upward and then solder back to the shaft. You got to make sure it does not drag the side of the block when mounted... Real close in that area...  Choke arm was OK, but needed adaptor to screw the push / pull rod to the arm..

The  B/ C motor is 125 cubic inches. My though was if you find a "aftermarket" that is for a 120- 135 inch motor it should be " close" .... that seemed to  work.... There are a few variations of the aftermarket carb.. look close.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:49pm
This is the one that i started with...

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 12:52pm
You know the DISTANCE from the governor cross shaft behind the radiator, to the carb throttle arm  has to be set RIGHT for the governor to work... Your not going to have the NEW ARM exactly where the OLD ARM was located, so the ROD to the governor cross shaft will have to be BENT to get the proper operation.
Linck182 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:35pm
Seems pretty straight forward, thanks for the info! If nothing else I’ll box it up and send it back. But 35 vs 400 is worth a try.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:37pm
It works... just not PLUG and PLAY... If your willing to invest a couple hours for install, then adjustments, it seems to work fine..

the Farmall Carb you showed is for a 113 cubic inch motor.. about 10% smaller displacement than the "C"..... I choose one that was 10% BIGGER than the "C".... Probably same carb with a slightly bigger main jet, etc...

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Dec 2023 at 1:40pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:47pm
I offer Carburetor rebuilding services if interested. Most Marvels or Zeniths that don't need any throttle bore repairs usually runs between $175-$250. completely done which includes the Carb kit. 
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Linck182 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:49pm
I don’t mind tinkering, this is my 3rd ac. Still have 3 left to rescue after this one. But this is the first time that some carb cleaner or some light taps with the pliers didn’t fix my carb issue.
Linck182 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I offer Carburetor rebuilding services if interested. Most Marvels or Zeniths that don't need any throttle bore repairs usually runs between $175-$250. completely done which includes the Carb kit. 
Steve@B&B

I’ll keep that in mind Steve, thank you. I’m pretty new to the ac world. My grandpa had a dealership where I grew up. And now that I’m back on the family farm I’ve started to collect some. 3 d17s series 1-2-3, wd-45, 2 ac’s, and this c I’m currently on.
Linck182 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

It works... just not PLUG and PLAY... If your willing to invest a couple hours for install, then adjustments, it seems to work fine..

the Farmall Carb you showed is for a 113 cubic inch motor.. about 10% smaller displacement than the "C"..... I choose one that was 10% BIGGER than the "C".... Probably same carb with a slightly bigger main jet, etc...

I think I’ll go with the one you shared, looks a little easier to “modify”. Thanks again!
Linck182 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linck182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

This is the one that i started with...

How did you remove the arm to solder back in the up position? Is it just soldered on? Looks press riveted or something.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:27pm
Yes, the arm has a square hole in it and fits over the square end of the shaft.. shaft sticks thru 1/16 inch and they MUSHROOM the end to hold it on... I just ground off the mushroom and pulled the arm off... flipped it over 180 degrees and put a drop of solder on the end...... the arm is not EXACTLY the right angle and not EXACTLY the right length so you have to adjust the governor rod for proper operation...

Another way to do it would be to make a NEW AREM from small strap, ( that is 50% longer).. lay on top of the OLD ARM, but pointing upward, then SOLDER the two together... ... again, dont get too close to the engine block or your arm will drag the block..

Edited by steve(ill) - 08 Jan 2024 at 6:28pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 6:34pm
your present carb looks something like this.. THe CLOSER you get the right LENGTH and ANGLE of the arm, the easier it will be to adjust.

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 5:26am
The guys in a Ford N series forum I'm in play with those Chicom carbs.  Most wind up taking them off and finding a good original.  Never can get them set right.
AaronSEIA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic