This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery off color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery off color
    Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 8:14am
Proximately 6 to 8 month ago battery brand new from the new Holland dealer.
TN60DA tractor  it is parked in the garage. I try to go out, start it about every three weeks and run for a half hour. I noticed in the last two months the battery doesn’t appear to be zipping the engine over. 
Yesterday I use the tractor for about 40 minutes running the whole time. Back in the barn pulled battery out took it to two different places for test both showed weak. I then pulled the covers tested each cell with my hydrometer. All 6 discharge that’s even after I had a trickle charger on it overnight. Any thoughts? 
I have ran cheap batteries, junk batteries batteries from the local you pull it parts store
And I never had one that all 6 cells showed discharge with my hydrometer test Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 8:24am
Seems batteries ain't as good as they used to be. I get mine from a farm store. Needed a pair for the 7060. They tested them at the store before sending them out and 4 tested weak off the shelf
I'd be for taking back under warranty
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 8:34am
Hopefully the battery you bought carries at least a Year warranty. Some are only six months…. I bought a battery from o’reilly a few months ago, for a generator. It was discharged when I installed it (wasn’t too happy). Wouldn’t hold a charge, so I had to exchange it. Plummerscarin is right, batteries are definitely not what they used to be, but the prices sure keep going up. Look for Deka or Interstate, they still seem to be good brands. Take that battery back and exchange it.
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 8:53am
and the funny thing is when I did some shopping around for a new battery for this machine. The dealer was 20 to 30 bucks cheaper in the surrounding parts stores. I guess a cheaper is not always better even coming from the tractor dealer themselves.
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:12am
Warranty coverage is probably more important than purchase price when it comes to batteries. About the only thing worse than a bad battery that’s not very old…. Is having to shell out a bunch more green to buy another battery!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:35am
A trickle charger on over night will not fully charge battery
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:54am
Too many starts with not enough run time to fully recharge the battery to it's maximum full charge. Just because the tractors volt meter is showing about 13.5 volts doesn't mean the battery is fully charged. Constant starting will KILL a battery. A trickle charger without repetitively starting is much better. Also repeated starting without enough run time will cause condensation in the oil, because it hasn't run long enough to boil off the condensed water from the last time it was started and only for a few minutes.
The rule here if you're going to get a tractor out a do something, go do it. If you're just going to start it to "keep the battery up" keep your hands off the key. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 10:42am
Here's the problem with Batteries now a days. You don't know how long they've been sitting around before you purchase them. This includes 12V as well. It's new to you, but if its been sitting around for quite sometime on the shelf whether in the Auto Parts store or the warehouse it came from, the sulfation process could have already started from not being activated. A few Battery companies still have a program in place where they change out the Batteries at a certain time to reduce this problem, but not all Auto Parts places do that. After sitting for quite some time, once put into service, the cell(s) bridge and the Battery starts to loose it's cranking power. The best way to "keep" a Battery if the Tractor isn't being used much is put a Battery tender on it to keep the electrolite "active" so the bridging from sulfation doesn't start. When the Tractor is called upon to go to work, the Battery's reserve will be in top shape to start the Tractor. Batteries are one of the flukiest things in anything they power. The old saying was: 8 minutes or 8 years for a Battery........ 
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:46am
thanks to all yes, batteries are finicky. I just can’t believe that all six cells show discharge on my hydrometer it did say battery made in the USA  a Kentucky plant .first thing I’m gonna do is call them and see if they have a tech support line and see what they say ,back to the dealer let the battle begin.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 8:10am
I buy the batteries that offer free replacement in a 2-3 year time period, I exchange batteries quite often due to they go dead and won't recharge back up. but at least I don't hafta buy them again, just have my time and transport costs. 
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 8:52pm
Started buying my batteries from Rural King. They sell a ton of batteries locally. Good warranty and a sticker on the side with the production date. Made by Exide. I have had zero issues in the 5 years from buying there. First battery I purchased is still in use. Their prices are great, bought 2 batteries for D17 Diesel for the price of 1 battery at Carquest.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 9:27am
had a nice long talk with the battery rep. Come to find out that he’s got numerous trackers and farms also so ,that was good to know. Found the production code. The battery got shipped out of their factory in March 2022.  And I bought the battery at the tractor dealer brand new in the box in spring of 2023. Wow. Wow . The bottom line in his opinion the battery never got fully charged hence showing all six cells discharge on hydrometer.  He said, do you have a big charger and I said yes then put it on the medium setting whatever that could be 15 to 20 amps and kick it in the butt and leave it on all day OK done check this morning all cells or testing green on hydrometer. Well we’ll see how it goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic