This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Harvest Tomorrow:

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Harvest Tomorrow:
    Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 2:08pm
That time of year again. Cousin started picking corn this early afternoon and wants me down there to start at 7:00 tomorrow morning to drive hopper bottom from fields to elevator(s). Lot of fun that I really enjoy so looking forward to it.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 5:31pm
Good luck, be safe and enjoy
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 5:37pm
Nephew called Thursday, beans were starting and wanted a grain cart driver.  So worked the last 2 days but told him no 12 hour days, maybe 6or 8. Got caught up today with  dry beans and rain for the weekend. Doctor on Monday so will see what next week brings.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 7:47pm
In our case cousin has long term reliable helpers for 20+ years. I just came along since retired from full time work, have a clean DMV record, and most of all, "will show up". Now with four persons, the combine, and chase cart never stop working as the timing works quite closely for maximum productivity, (within tolerance). Nephew gets right onto the ground tillage work as soon as we clear the field, and takes care of maintenance on equipment or repairs if needed. I fit especially well as comfortable pulling the head cart however far it needs to go so combine can be driven, and can play secondary wrench if need be.

Get to meet and work with some really nice folks at the co-op elevators and they make sure your taken care of with home baked goodies. They know my cousin very well so I fit right in being family. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 6:25am
Heard lots of stories as a kid about the old days of the threshing machine 85+yrs ago and all the neighbors getting together at each others farms to get it done. Fortunately for me, I wasn't born yet !!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 7:42am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Heard lots of stories as a kid about the old days of the threshing machine 85+yrs ago and all the neighbors getting together at each others farms to get it done. Fortunately for me, I wasn't born yet !!

Remember Granddad telling how a neighborhood group of farmers, usually 5 or 6 would all co-own a thrashing machine and traveling within that group harvesting. Meals were furnished by the farm family where harvesting activities were that day for the whole crew.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 10:54am
I remember what was the last of the threshing in our family.  This was in the late 40's in eastern NE growing oats.  The horses had been retired except for the bundle wagons. Tractors were used on the binder.  I didn't participate in the work but remember the big dinners & lunches.  The thresher was powered by a Massey Challenger-the WC's didn't have quite enough oomph.  That was the last year for that and the AC 60 combine came the next year.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 10:56am
We didn't do that in my time but there was 5 or 6 of us that worked together to chop corn silage.  That I was old enough to get involved in, 1 row chopper and a U Moline, watched the neighbor last week, big self propelled taking nine rows.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 12:45pm
Grandpa had a big JI Case steam engine steel wheeled ‘traction engine’(tractor) used for moldboard plowing, silo filling re-cutter, and running the thrasher. Horses did everything else, pulling wagons, corn planter, grain drill, manure spreader.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 9:46am
I made 13 trips to the elevator yesterday with each weighing in excess of 20 ton. Only a about three miles distant travel and the second hopper did two less trips but carries more.  No idea to acreage harvested as forgot to ask. Starting back into it on Monday early but switching to beans. Short day for the elevators so the trucks will be filled today to jump saddle tomorrow morning. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 5:47am
I'm going to try the corn today. Checked 16-17% yesterday. Beans are still 2-3 weeks out.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 7:55am
We just looked at beans and will be a few hours out as heavy dew through the overnight. Corn was between 17.1, and 17.6 percent I was hauling on Saturday.

I just pulled the bean head about nine miles staging for later today.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2023 at 9:38am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Unfortunately for me then......I started to help when I was about 7 or 8.  I drove the (GASP) Ford 9N hitched to the wagon and the older guys threw the bundles on.  Then I drove to the thresher and others unloaded and then back to the fields.  I wasn't old enough or big enough to drive the horses yet.  That came later.....WHAT MEMORIES!!  Dusty and Babe were their names.  I can still see them in my memories!  I got to cultivate with them.  And I mean WITH them.  All I did was get them to the field and start on a row.  Then at the end of the row they would stop and I got to turn them around and start in again.  The end of the day, bring them back to the barn (sometimes THAT was scary!) and take the harnesses off and feed em.
Yes, it was all of the farmers in the valley that helped.  Our farm was the last on the dead end road.  Ergo, we were last.  Couple of years later I got to stand on the top and pitch the bundles onto the belt.  I was 12 when the last crew got together as a cousin bought a combine and did each farmer by himself.
ALL the ladies in the valley would come and make their favorites.  It was FEAST for sure!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tenn allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tenn allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 5:36am
Harvest here in Tennessee is beginning to come into full swing this week shelled a load of corn last Wednesday 19% couple loads last Thursday 18% started running harder last Friday and Saturday down to 17% ran 3 loads yesterday still in low 17’s
Got to finish some wiring at the bins before storing corn hope to finish that tomorrow
I can remember when I was a lad riding on the 66 all crop with a bagger pulling it with a D17 probably in the way more than a help dad and his brother cutting oats milo and seed beans whoever was driving would stop every so often and they would slide down the burlap sacks full of seed about 5 or 6 in a pile so they could load them easily by just stopping at each pile
If I was lucky I would get to go down that slide on the 66
They had a JD 95 combine and would mount a 2 row New Idea corn picker on the D17. The combine was only a platform combine no cab or shade
The corn was all ground for cattle feed. My how things have changed wonder what dad would think running an 8 row corn head and a 35 foot draper with auto steer and row sense
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 6:23am
Switched to  beans yesterday and that went well till a 1" hydraulic line blew on the hydrostatic drive for the combine. Deere dealer 30 miles distant had two take off lines from four wheel drive conversions so only down about three hours total and about 30 gallons of oil. By the time back up and operational elevators were closed so trucks are loaded and trapped for the jaunt first off this morning. 

All of my loads were just over, or an even 10% moisture content. Each load just under 20 tons each. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic