This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Storage, How can I market Ear Corn ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Storage, How can I market Ear Corn ?
    Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 10:02pm
Title says it all.

No Storage,
How can I market Ear Corn ?

Hope to increase production 10 fold next year.
How do I market my ear corn product ?

You might ask why would I increase production if I don't have a market.

Well, cause I can. and I am looking for productive revenue for the farm.

Yes. I bought a picker.

it's gonna be fun.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 10:33pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2023 at 11:30pm
  Depends on how many acres you're talking about. 
  Squirrel or horse feed; 5 or 6 ears in a bag for a $1.  
  Start looking for an old corn sheller to take kernels off of cob & turn it into shelled corn. Then you'd have some cobs for the next T P shortage.
  Some used ground ear corn as feed for cattle in the past. Do you have any neighbors with cow/calf operations? They may be interested.
 That's why my uncle & grandfather kept a 4x38" planter and a mounted 2 row picker for about 25-30 acres a year, kept ear corn in the round wire cribs.  Though most corn was planted with 8x30" planter and combined. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 2:38am
Macon that was one of my favorite things back on my big farm to do! That fall time picking corn with a NI 320 something 2 row picker. (Narrow) The smells were amazing!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 4:10am
We have a guy just down the street who sold it as squirrel feed, dollar an ear, or twice the market price for a bushel!  As for storage, take a 16' cow panel, bend into a circle, add some roofing tin, for best results, place on a concrete slab, to keep the bottom rot away.  Rats will be attracted to it, however you store it!
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 6:03am
Squirrel corn. Get the word out, any local farmers markets still going that you could take it to or advertise? I have sold some as that and deer corn but its only available as long as its standing but I don't have an ear picker currently.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 6:47am
Plain people buy all my extra. You are western Pennsylvania but i would still try an add in the Lancaster farming paper
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 6:58am
I am with you on that captain. I wanted to have a open houae corn picking day this year but my insurance company laughed at me. Still pick 8 to 10 acres every year. Have a mounted wd picker but my favorite is a ih 450 with a mounted 234 picker. Please forgive the sin
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:00am
That’s a job and a material handling job I don’t miss AT ALL.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:16am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

I am with you on that captain. I wanted to have a open houae corn picking day this year but my insurance company laughed at me. Still pick 8 to 10 acres every year. Have a mounted wd picker but my favorite is a ih 450 with a mounted 234 picker. Please forgive the sin

dr p, I would love to run that 450/234, no sin at all in my book! 234 was one **** of a cornpicker!
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:43am
What kind of pickers are you all running? We are going to use a Woods Bros this year
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:53am
Thanks for all the feedback.
GREAT ideas !!!

I actually do have this wire corn crib.
BUT
Getting the corn in there is some work.
BUT
GETTING it out is ALOT of WORK.
I know, I know all farming operations are work but I don't run a shovel as good as I use to.

My thoughts would be to sell it out of the wagon or gravety box. Which I have neither as of today. Or any corn elevator.

FYI: I made a new floor for this corn crib a few years ago and made it so I can pull it around "EMPTY".
Not sure were we want to locate it for farm eastetics....

Was actually thinking of putting tin around the outside and storing tractor parts in it.

But that dosent address my potential ear corn production and marketing.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 08 Sep 2023 at 9:25am
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:58am
I really like the colored Heirloom corn.
I think it would sell better than streight yellow corn for....
Just about any corn need.

JMHO

Edited by Macon Rounds - 08 Sep 2023 at 9:14am
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:16am
Don’t forget the fodder. There’s a heck of a market around here for corn shocks. People love to decorate their yard for fall.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:46am
Raise that wire crib enough to get a drag elevator under the "door" area, gravity does the rest just a little shoveling at the back. Did that for years till the farm owner decided to get rid of that ugly wire crib. guessing you know to put a wire vent up the middle to aid drying. Dana that would be a 325 New Idea, that's what I have but I can't say it's my favorite...Harvey
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:57am
Thanks

Vent up thru the middle and out to the sides.
We used old wire milk crates stacked and tied together.
Thanks for the Reminder.

that still dosen't address getting the corn out of the crib.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:59am
yea
I do understand raising the crib.
I will think on that when we find a permanent location for it.
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 10:23am
Elevators for ear corn in any usable/repairable condition are scarce around here.
CASE made a really good one that were somewhat popular around here.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 11:10am
We have a crib very similar to that one sitting on a round concrete slab. Stackable round heavy wire vent goes up the middle. Squirrels could only get to the outside but really didn’t have that much of an issue. Loaded corn in by hand for the first few loads through the lower access and then with a elevator through the top. Removed corn by removing the boards in the lower load slots. We sold mainly to pig farmers and then to make feed feed for our own cattle. It was hard work but I miss it. Sold all of our corn harvesting equipment a few years ago. Switched over to a total hay operation when corn prices plummeted locally.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 11:59am
Yea

I remember shoveling corn out of several different corn cribs back in my youth. Phisicaly EXHAUSTING.

And the rodent problem and associated mess ...

We are trying to make this old farm LOOK good and have it produce SOMETHING....

I ain't in my youth anymore but still enjoy working and Farming. So phisical exertion to accomplish these tasks always has to factor into our goals.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 12:57pm
I always wondered why not have the cement slab under the wire corn crib with a ‘trough’ or some sort of ‘channel’ in the floor wide enough for an auger or conveyor. Have a steel slide out on the floor, that you pull(or crank) to open the floor for the ear corn to drop into.
If you constructed it correctly, you could have a series of corn cribs all lined up, set neatly in rows, with a continuous conveyor on top for filling the cribs one right after another. Just have an opening in the conveyor or auger right above each crib roof opening.
The advantage of ‘ear corn’ is the ability to harvest the crop without the massive horsepower of combine’s, and the associated infrastructure of dryers, bins, and of course the ungodly fuel costs. Ground ear corn is excellent feed.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 4:16pm
yea

Ground ear corn with molasses and some nutrients added by the mill.

We would Load a pickup by hand shovel. Then drove it to the mill for them to grind .
Then brought it back in burlap sacks.

Lots of LABOR hours in that process.
Glad I had that experiance and responsibility but not on my "bucket list" anymore.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 4:43pm
Although we had shelled corn. We had a Gehl portable mill. Ground corn, oats, alfalfa for calf and piglet feed. Auger or conveyor into the the grinder mill, and unloading auger into bins. Usually had an IH 826, or 856. Depending on the screen, grinding baled alfalfa could bring the 826 to its knees if you weren’t careful.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 5:37pm
Look for a silage unloader conveyer, and build it in, underneath the bin you have...

Hard to tell in this video, but they made conveyors that you pull the silage wagon up to, and the wagon unloads into the blower.  Some were PTO, some were electric motor units. About 8 feet of flat conveyor, then a ramp that would dump about 3-4' tall...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 6:50pm
Grow open pollinated multiple color kernel or Indian corn and sell it during the Fall stalk and all sells and with no spays you can grow pumpkins in the corn,feed what is leftover to the hogs and chickens
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:09pm
Wow macon, that brought back a powerful memory. Driving with my dad with a load of ear corn in the old orange truck to the nelle mead agway. Dumping the load into the old pit grinder. And dad buying me an eclair ice cream bar from the freezer in the back of the mill. Been over 50 years since then
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 8:11pm

I’ve been picking 4-6 small wagon loads each fall. I keep my eye out for the 150 bushel ish wagons.   I sell it by the onion sack to a couple stores that resell it as squirrel and deer corn.   I’ve been shopping for a couple CHEAP chopper boxes with no luck. Thought is it would give me more storage for the floor print of polebarn used. Yes I’m capturing a premium but not necessarily convinced it’s worth my time.   Your corn crib with wood floor looks like a rat apartment complex.   You also need to be mindful of raccoons they will make a heck of a mess out of load.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 9:14pm
Yea

There are many flaws in my farm and my plans....

Hope to make less as I get good counseling from you fellas !!!

Here is my varmint control.
Never found anything better.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 12:53am
gits a corn burner heater for the shop or house, shell off the kernals and burn for heat. when ever us kids went out at night drinking or uh....other stuff, and came home late, we always had to grind ear corn the next morning with an old hammermill....PfffffT! that was about....horrible. I remember having wagon loads of that one week...it never dawned on us until later in life that it was punishment for the night before...us boys just sat at the table looking at each other after figgering that out!. LOL i've sold ear corn for squirrel food for years. a bag full of ears for $5. usually take 100 normal sized ears to make a bushel of shelld corn, bag would hold 6-7 ears. give an ear to your dog, it'll lay in the yard and eat every kernal...they love it! other wise find some cattle feeders and sell it to go along with their silage feed. zoo might buy some for feed. same with animal shelters and horse people.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2023 at 6:11am
re: how to sell..

contact local 'service groups',like scouts or optimists, etc. See if they want to use as a fund raiser. THEY can bag and tag and sell, you get a cut or  possible tax write off as a donation.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic