This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diff/trans fluid leaking into PD case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diff/trans fluid leaking into PD case
    Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 9:35am
I have a AC 200 that I am looking at purchasing but I have a few questions I have not been able to find answers to. From what I am told it is leaking rear diff/tans oil into the PD case. PD works fine and it takes a bit for the extra oil to be noticeable. When it doze is sounds like the PD air rates the oil and then the shortly after the hydro pump starts whining. Put both compartments back to their level and it will be just fine for a bit. I have read every thing on it pushing oil the other way but have found nothing on this. This tractor is set up as a cement dead pulling tractor right now. Thank for any help  
Sponsored Links

allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 12:07pm
    You need seals between the PD and the Differential. There will
be someone else answering that knows more than I do.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 6:23pm
The usual problem is Power Director (hydraulic oil) oil leaking by the seal rings at the rear of the Power Director clutch housing and overfilling (transferring) hydraulic oil into the transmission/differential compartment. This is bass-ackwards from what you say the problem is. Tractor needs to be split under the platform, roll the rear end away and rebuild the Power Director clutch and all seals. Replace all clutch discs with new ones (9 total) from a 7000 tractor 70261212 because they will never break like the OEM ones will. The oil seal in this area can be installed backwards for better results. This is from Tbrans shop. Replace the two lower PTO shaft seals while the tractor is split. They are installed opposite from each other to keep oil from transferring either way. Pack the first (rear) one in grease to keep the oil seal spring from jumping out of place when you drive the seal into its seal bore.

Edited by DrAllis - 29 Aug 2023 at 6:49pm
RobC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 6:47pm
Thank you very much for your response. That is what I don’t understand everything I read, says the opposite of what it is doing. I didn’t know if maybe there was another seal in there that could let oil between the two.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 6:50pm
Replace lower PTO shaft seals also. I've edited my post.
RobC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 6:28am
Thank you 
One final question can the pto shaft be removed with out splitting the tractor? I am thinking if I can do that I can put a plug into the through hole and stop the oil transfer from diff/trans to hydraulic reservoir. Its a pulling tractor so I have no need for the pto.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 6:38am
Yes. The PTO shaft can be yanked out the back. But the PTO shaft itself is a plug, inside of the two PTO seals. So, if the seals are bad, I don't think you'll be successful. To remove those two seals and install a legit plug, can't be done in chassis. It would require a split to gain access to that area. If this is a pulling tractor, why don't you plug the hydraulic dipstick vent so that compartment can't breathe and it would surely slow down the oil transfer from rear to front.
RobC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 6:53am
That could work as well. By plug I mean machining some sort of like freeze plug that could but ponded into the hole were the shaft goes through to seal the hole off. Thank you again for all the info.  
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 9:34am
Pull the pto shaft then it will be one compartment bolt a plate over the back hole worked for years
RobC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 10:55am
I thought the two compartment's ran at different level's?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 11:18am
They are. The trans/differential run much higher to flood the differential with oil. Overfull in the Power Director compartment drags the PD clutch, takes HP and makes the oil hot over time.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 1:40pm
If he only pulling for a short time will be okay
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 3:25pm
But if using for pulling, I don't think he would want to risk losing any HP from the PD dragging in oil.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 3:26pm
Depending on what kind of HP and speed he is running, having the differential flooded with oil is a very good thing.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 4:03pm
I have farm tractors that I pulled the plug between the compartments and used the front dipstick for 20 years not one diff when out
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2023 at 6:01pm
And I'm glad you haven't. Back in the late 1960's when 190XTD's were ripping differentials out right and left, the crack 190XTD driveline engineers came up with the 4-pinion differential update!! Part of this 4-pinion differential update included a new transmission dipstick, which raised the oil level considerably, to help get more lubrication to the area that they had been having a very high failure rate in. Now, I will also say, that at that point in time, there was still a lot of moldboard plowing being done, which was the usual application of those tractors when they had a differential failure. Since the mid /late 70's (around here) the moldboard plow has been sitting in the weeds, only getting used on special "plow days" for those of us old enough to know how to plow.

Edited by DrAllis - 30 Aug 2023 at 6:03pm
RobC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 7:32am
Thank you for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic