This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acquired a 4 bottom semi mounted plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acquired a 4 bottom semi mounted plow
    Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:47am
I just bought a 4 bottom semi mounted snap coupler plow. Don't have it home yet. Below is a link to a page of the same model. Can anyone tell me what the model number is? The lift cylinder is missing. The one in the pictures look very similar to the lift arm cylinders on my WD45. Are they the same? If so, I have a pile of those. Also, I believe that it's missing three of the coulters. Found it 3 miles down the road I live on. Also got a snap coupler spring tooth drag. I didn't get a good look at the drag because it was half buried, but it looks somewhat similar to the second link below just narrower I think. Both have been sitting for 30 years, so they need a fair amount of love. 

Machinery rescue for all things rusty or broken. Current residents include 3-1/2 WD45s, Oliver Row 77 gas, 88 diesel, Farmall super C, parts C, two Cat D2's, Clark C500-80 forklift, and a sick Kubota.
Sponsored Links

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 7:42am
COngrats, that's a nice find so close to home.
The cylinders on the plow are not the same. I have 2 actualy Allis impliment cylinders and they are different. I'm not sure if you still use the 45 lift cylinder though. Depends if the stroke is long enough and the pins are the right size. I have the 3 bottom version of that plow. It doesn't lift high, so you want all the stroke you can get.
WD45 Aaron View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 8:02am
Looking at those pictures the cylinder on the tail wheel does appear to be larger diameter than the lift arm cylinders. I be interested in dimensions of the correct cylinder if someone has one that they can measure. These tools are a bit rough, but better than the ones I didn't have. The plow has an 8 foot tall shrub growing through it if that tells you how long it's been sitting. Nice looking shrub, I kinda would like to take it with me.
Machinery rescue for all things rusty or broken. Current residents include 3-1/2 WD45s, Oliver Row 77 gas, 88 diesel, Farmall super C, parts C, two Cat D2's, Clark C500-80 forklift, and a sick Kubota.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 9:58am
The plow in the picture is a 60-series because it has angled beams going down to each plow bottom.  50-series has straight down beams. To use a plow like that you have to have a Transport Valve accessory on the tractor, which sees to it the front of the plow always comes up first.

Edited by DrAllis - 26 May 2023 at 10:00am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:09am
Doc,

Thanks for the reminder. I know the valve of which you speak. I had forgotten all about it. I'm quite certain that I do not have one. I think it's a 50 series based on comparing to pictures.

Edit: Does the valve also delay the rear lowering into the ground?

Edited by WD45 Aaron - 26 May 2023 at 11:00am
CS_IN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CS_IN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:36am

This is a picture of the transport valve and the brief description from my WD45 Diesel operators manual.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:47am
CS,

Interesting, if all a guy wanted was a delay a flow control could do that. I suspect that this valve is internally piloted and pressure sensing. The valve could be set to shift based on certain pressures that it sees on the supply line. I'm sure others know exactly how it functions.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:36pm
About has to be a 64 or 74. A model 54 was a roll-over plow and as Doc says, has the angled beams. I have a model 63 semi-mount, could maybe get some pics tomorrow.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:46pm
Mike,

I was just poking around the Agco site and they still have the parts breakdown for 70/80 series. The #31 diagram for the semimounted with vertical pivot shows the same style tail wheel as mine, but not the cylinder.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 2:03pm
The picture shown is a 60-series, which has an angled beam to the bottoms. A 70/80-series also has the same style angled beam BUT the frame is adjustable in width, say 14 inch cut or 16 inch cut. The picture shown is NOT a 70/80-series frame. It is a fixed width frame.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 4:20pm
Attached is a picture of the actual plow. Not a great photo but it's all I have.

acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:10pm

Allis Dave,  I have a 60 series semi mounted plow and it has plenty of ground clearance when raised.  
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:15pm
I'd say a 64, but it does have the square frame above the regular frame...  It is also missing the gauge wheel that goes in the slot forward of the tail wheel.  Post a picture side view from the coulter side, and it will help the ID process...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:23pm
That looks to be an 80 series plow frame, as I can see the spring trips for the beams. 
  The remote hydraulic cylinders that Allis Chalmers used was not exactly an ASAE standard 8" stroke cylinder, although very close. If you plane on using it behind a WD45 you should have a Hi-Pressure Allis Chalmers cylinder, as lower pressure generic cylinders will not tolerate the pressure that a WD45 hydraulic system operates.
The 2 cylinders I have left are different bore diameters

The 2 cylinders I have left are loaded to go to the GOTO in New York in June. If your coming to the show or someone close to you is, you could buy it there.

Edited by PaulB - 26 May 2023 at 6:25pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 6:30pm
Dave,

I just looked through some E$ay listings for manuals. I believe that it's a 74. It has the same square tube on top of the frame with what appears to be the holes for adjustment that Doc spoke a bit about. Also, the 64 manual didn't show a gauge wheel. That's what I think anyway. It will probably be a week give or take before I actually get it home to get a better look at it.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 7:08pm
From the photo, it appears to have the gauge wheel bracket but not the gauge wheel.
My dad had to add a gauge wheel to our model 74 plow. It did not have a gauge wheel on it when he purchased it new.
DO NOT over grease the tail wheel pivot.  One pump to the fittings are all  that are necessary.  Over greasing will cause the tail wheel  to dance in the furrow.
Make sure you polish ALL the rust off the moldboards.  The plow must scour or the power requirements and fuel burn will be horrendous.

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 8:54pm
I think Paul is correct with 84. Best I can tell they are trip bottoms.    Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 9:21am
Got a few pictures yesterday, maybe get a few more today. Couple of the 73 to show the adjustable frame and a couple of the semi-mount and one of the lift cylinder.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 8:29am
I might be thinking of my 73 mounted that has little clearance. If I'm not careful coming out of the shed, it'll drag on the door footers.  the mounted 70/80 frames don't lift as high as the old frames. I never used the old semi-mount thogh so I"m not sure how it is.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 8:36am
A 73 series on a WD45 usually doesn't lift very high due to two things. #1. it is plenty of plow for a WD45 and if you get the depth set so you can pull it well, you are kind of on the shallow side. This is the first thing that lessens total lift when raised. The second thing was that plow was really designed for the D-17, which would pull it deeper than a WD45, which then makes it raise higher when out of the ground. Also, the D-17 as a general rule always had 16.9 rear rubber which were taller than 14.9's, again raising the plow higher when lifted out of the ground. Been there and Dun that 55 yrs ago when Dad bought a new 73 series slat bottom 16 inch cut.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:14am
Interesting, I only have a 73 mounted and 73 semi-mounted, so I don't have anyhitng to compare to. I know the 73 is longer and heavier, but why would a 73 set in to a 14" cut pull harder than a 63 14"? Just curious. I have a 63 I just got but I never tried it yet. Would it be better to plow with on the 45 than my 73? I have 16.9-28 tires and front weights.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 8:24am
A 70-series versus a 60-series would, in SOME, conditions pull a little harder because it weighs more and will stay in the ground in tough spots where the 60-series is a little lighter. A 70-series for sure is longer than a 50-series and more length (generally) pulls harder at times. More length never pulls easier, and usually harder to a degree. 60-series was made for a WD45.   16.9 tires on a WD45 will have two negatives for tough plowing.....larger diameter, which makes your gear faster which will pull harder........probably more traction, which again makes the engine work harder. This ASSUMES your 16.9 total weight equals whatever your 14.9 tires weigh. Compare apples to apples for weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic