This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Deutz kill the 8000 series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blakenolen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Deutz kill the 8000 series?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:16am
New to this group! But I have been doing a lot of reading and I'm curious why did Deutz kill the 8000 series along with Allis's power shift? Confuses me to kill what was ahead of the time and go to a Oliver/white over and under? Was the 8000 series patents sold to someone else?
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:42am
Deutz did not want AC tractors - they already had their own.  The only thing Deutz wanted were the combines and the dealer network. 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 8:49am

A good question  , why not ship their own tractors here instead of bastardizing the Whites??   Why destroy all the tooling also????

Seems not well thought out.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 9:42am
Dseries4 is right, all they wanted was combines and dealers. Kind of like Biden didn't want anything good that Trump did. Results were the same.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 10:44am
Welcome to forum. I don’t have an answer but wondering if you have any orange on your farm.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 10:55am
Deutz bought the Allis Chalmers farm business- Allis had some of the best in the business with the 8000 series- Deutz wanted to keep that going , but they did not buy the tractor plant, so their plan was to move all 8000 tooling etc, to Germany build them and send them back over here,, these were crazy times and thoughts then they decided to axe the whole idea as it was too expensive, if you go thru AC and Deutz Allis they promoted the 8000 series till 1986,,  
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 10:57am
Allis dealers were Allis dealers for a reason, most wouldnt want to sell ferin equipment :(
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 12:42pm
Never Green ,they did ship their own tractors here .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 9:57am
I dont think the plan ever was to ship the tooling to Germany. Deutz didnt buy the plant, and I dont think they bought the contents either, because my uncle helped crate up and ship the machines to Mexico and according to Norm Swinford, the molds and castings were destroyed and the blueprints etc were hauled to the landfill. Deutz had an agreement with Allis Chalmers to keep production at West Allis until the parts ran out, so they were only paying Allis Chalmers to build the tractors. 
Not only that, but the 6-7-8000 series parts were sold off at a big auction, by Allis Chalmers, if Deutz had owned it, they would have had the auction.

Edited by Kcgrain - 03 Apr 2023 at 9:59am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 1:24pm
Stories I’ve heard tend to align with what Kcgrain said. Deutz didn’t buy the tractor line and Allis was destroying tooling and blueprints. Seems they thought if they couldn’t keep the tractor line, no one could have it. There are old newspaper articles documenting exactly what was sold to Deutz but I don’t have them accessible right now.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 3:45pm
So are any of the Allis-Chalmers tractors currently residing within any legal intellectual ownership by a principle entity (patents, acknowledgments, etc)?
Reason I asked this question? Is there any legal ramifications against someone who might transfer a tractor’s actual measurements into a new casting mold & begin reproducing any/all parts?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

So are any of the Allis-Chalmers tractors currently residing within any legal intellectual ownership by a principle entity (patents, acknowledgments, etc)?
Reason I asked this question? Is there any legal ramifications against someone who might transfer a tractor’s actual measurements into a new casting mold & begin reproducing any/all parts?

Patens are only good for so many years. I keep thinking 25 but that could of been "the good old days" and it is much shorter today.  

It has got so costly and time consuming to take such paten case to court, very seldom is it done. The Chinese copy just about anything and everything. Nephew is a completive shooter and builds sound suppressers for a large company. His boss allowed him to use the shop to build sites for completive shooters. The market was never going to large, but the Chinese made a copy and advertised it in the USA.

But back to AC as reported here, one tiny bit of AC was still around in the electrical business.  But the story of closing even that was one here in the last few years. So who would of spent any money buying old out dated patents. So if you wish to build a few hand made parts and selling them go for it.     
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 4:04pm
I don't quite remember the details but my kid brother is an engineer for case IH new holland. For one of their tractor lines 20 years ago they bought all the tool and die works for an Allis d-17. Used that for the chassis and dropped their own engines, hydraulic and electric into it. Made the whole thing in turkey. Was a financial success . Goodness knows what that was still doing around.
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 9:12am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

I don't quite remember the details but my kid brother is an engineer for case IH new holland. For one of their tractor lines 20 years ago they bought all the tool and die works for an Allis d-17. Used that for the chassis and dropped their own engines, hydraulic and electric into it. Made the whole thing in turkey. Was a financial success . Goodness knows what that was still doing around.

I would assume those tractors were sold in the Asia and Africa market, those models never made it to the U.S. ?
I would like to see what those tractors looked like,
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 12:16pm
I find that D-17 resurrection claim kind of hard to believe. That chassis never had a truly independent PTO and sell that old PTO system around the world ???
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 12:29pm
I'd bet good money it was the 5050 platform they used, as it's a FIAT anyway. People tend to remember things different than they actually happen, or hear the story different than its told lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 2:02pm
I think the production of the 8000 series was to interwoven with West Allis. No way they could support that huge facility with just tractor production. 
Learning AC...slowly
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 7:20pm
I will have to ask him next time i see him
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 8:26am
Duetz could screw up a wet dream. How that ever generated enough money to buy Allis blows my mind.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 9:41pm
Have you ever tried to tell a German anything?
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:46am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

Have you ever tried to tell a German anything?

I’m married to one I know what you’re saying.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 6:42pm
The comment tractors couldnt support West Allis is so true - if they only would have moved tractor/ combine  production to its own/only facility as the Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment Company; sounds good in hindsite- but they were so far gone there was no resurection ,, sad , as they were a 2 Billion dollar company with record profits in 1979,,
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 12:29pm
IF they'd had their next generation Powershift tested,tooled up and production ready as IH did with CIH merger it may have happened but the Duetz still didn't have US mfc facilities like Case did.
Learning AC...slowly
1955CA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:13pm
What I don't get is the modern day AGCO. Why did they drop the Allis Chalmers name, or even the orange AGCO tractors that had a strong loyal following in North America, and instead are trying to ram only German Fendt's down our throats?

I gues Fendt is a good tractor? But why not promote the names they already own that North Americans grew up with like Allis and Massey Ferguson.

Even the combines.....they would rather sell Fendt's over here than Gleaners.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:26pm
AGCO did not own, or have the rights to the Allis Chalmers name. I think I read somewhere that Robert Ratliff made the statement, had he known how successfull AGCO would be, he would have bought the Allis Chalmers name, but at the time felt the money was better spent else where. As far as the orange goes, what they told us, and what the real reason is, I can only guess, all I know is they lied to us. The Fendt is an excellent tractor.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:43pm
Fendt tractors are becoming very popular near us. Their highway speed is a big seller as many farmers in the next county have farms 30 miles apart. Massey is popular also in that same area. Locally NH is probably the most popular next to JD. Our county still has plenty of AC’s still hard at work. Between my brothers and I we account for 14 of em lol.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Crazy Canuc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Canuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 7:21pm
Some of the information shared in this forum regarding the Deutz Allis deal is new to me, thanks for the info.
I did own a 180 Allis Chalmers for some years, my son wanted a 4250 Deere, we dealt it with that aquisition, I wish I had not made the decision to let the 180 go.
I am currently looking to aquire an 8030.
It is rumored that Deere was offered Fendt, prior to AGCO's aqusition
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 8:10pm
Prior to the duetz buyout AC was planning or throwing the idea around moving tractor production out of west allis. The plant was dated and labour/union costs apparently were high.
Along with outsourcing engines.
On a higher note when agco moved tractor production to independence out of coldwater, some of the former AC engineering employees gave the 9100 series (whites)a make over with the release of 9600 series. Have a look at one the AC influence clearly shows. To bad that all ended a few short years later.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2024 at 9:23pm
Robert Ratliff did the best he could with what he new at the time.  Forming AGCO was a huge risk and a great undertaking.  He wasn't perfect but he'll always be a savior in my mind.  My AGCO dealer still carries and stocks WD tractor parts on the shelf.  Eternally grateful that 70 year old tractor parts are still that accessible.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:35am
According to our Allis dealer at the time, Deutz owned 20% of Steiger; Steiger was going to manufacture row crop tractors for Deutz-Allis, using a Deutz engine. CaseIH threw a monkey wrench into that plan, when they purchased the 80% of Steiger that Deutz didn't own. So, they went shopping for a someone to manufacture a tractor for them. According to our dealer, they went with White for two reasons; (1) Deutz engineers felt only the White rear end could hold up to the low end torque of the Deutz engine, and (2) White was offering them the best warranty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic