This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd45 cooling problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd45 cooling problems
    Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:24am
i have a wd45 that i have been working on for a while and i finnaly replaced the broken tempature gauge. in the process of replacing the temperature gauge I accidentally cracked the radiator at the base of the temperature gauge. i patched it with radiator repair stuff from jb weld but it kept overheating. it leaks from the hoses a little and I don't know what to do. what is the normal operating temperature. any help is appreciated. i am 16. 
Sponsored Links

ANDY T View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANDY T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:47am
is the lines going to the waterpump hot? thats the first thing i would check to make sure waterpump is working.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:54am
the rubber hoses? I haven't checked them. i just noticed the radiator was steaming and water was coming out of the crack. it only started after i cracked the radiator.
ANDY T View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANDY T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 9:57am
you mave not have sealed up the crack good enough.   id bring it in to get fixed if it were mine..
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:14am
ok i will take it to my local ac mechanic and see if he can fix it. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:29am
When up to temp it will "steam" if the cap is off. It's not that hot really just warm enough to vaporize.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 23 Mar 2023 at 8:33pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:44pm
ok,
the reason it was steaming was because of a crack. i just assumed that the steam meant it was overheating. the temperature gauge needle was in the red at 220 degrees 
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 4:01pm
If the radiator has not been boiled out before, I would get that done at the same time.  Then you know everything is good.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 8:38pm
If things are correct ,it should never get in the red no matter how you load it. I'd want to know my Guage was right. Use an infra-red gun on tank.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 10:00pm
does it overheat if the cap is left off ?  if not you may have a bad head gasket,  have you checked for compression in the radiator ?.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:57pm
Hunter- some basic physics things you need to keep in mind:

Your modern automobile or truck runs in what's called a 'pressurized' system, meaning, the coolant is absorbing heat from the engine, so it's temperature rises.  With temperature rise, two things happen- first, the liquid expands a little, and second,  As the temperature rises, the 'vapor pressure' of the liquid changes, and evaporation accellerates.  Both of these cause the gaseous volume inside the cooling system to decrease, which means pressure inside is rising. 

There's a point in liquid heating and vapor-pressure curves where the liquid wants to become a gas... but it's not just all about heat, it's about heat and pressure.  Add more pressure, and the boiling point rises.

In the case of a can of water on the stove, at Iowa altitude, you can put a thermometer in that water (but don't let it touch the can) and start heating the water.  As it warms, you'll see a little steam start wisping off... that's evaporation...  and eventually, you'll see bubbles form, and a little while later, you'll see it boil.  At each point, you'll see the temperature of the water rise...  but the you'll hit 212F, water will be in full boil.  At that point, you can turn up the heat of the stove as high as you want, it will boil more aggresively, but that water will NOT rise above 212F... because it is amidst phase change... water, at atmospheric pressure of 800ft ASL or so, will exist as liquid form from 32F to 212F only.  Below that, it's solid (ice) and above that, it's steam.

Standard atmospheric pressure is about 14psi.  If you were to close up that can, and pressurize it by say... 5psi... the boiling point would go up to 226.8F.

Likewise, coolant in an engine with a sealed cooling system and a 5psi radiator cap, will never exceed 226.8... as long as there's water in that system.  If you ever find yourself around a running water-hopper hit-and-miss, dip a thermometer in the hopper, you'll see that the water is always no warmer than 212.  As long as you keep putting liquid water IN, the engine will NEVER overheat.

In the cooling system, the liquid's temperature rises to a point where the liquid starts 'phase change'... meaning, it's boiling, and as it does that, pressure in the system comes up.  Eventually, the closed system's pressure will, by virtue of that phase change curve, rise to the point where the graphed lines of developed pressure, in the system, and the temperature in the system, match, and that's where your system pressure and temperature will BE.

The 'gotcha', is that if you have a leak, it 1) won't hold pressure and 2) the volume of water is decreasing, thus the available volume for gases is increasing... so it throws everything for a loop.

The crack in the radiator isn't an unusual thing, it happens to all of us more often than we'd like to admit... but until you get that fixed, and then do a pressure test (for a leaking head gasket, water pump, hose, etc), you won't have a stable system.  You'll also get crazy antics out of engines that might not be leaking COOLANT out, but combustion gases (from the combustion chambers into the water jacket) are 'falsely pressurizing' the cooling system.

There are clever ways to determine all these things... the combustion pressure leak is one of my favorites-  start it up cold, with the cap off, and once it's running and warming, look into the radiator.  If you see it sending bubbles up long after it's been started, you got a combustion gases leak.  The biggest problem with combustion leaks, is that the combustion gas bubbles can accumulate at high spots in the head, and with a gas bubble in there, the transfer of heat is prevented, so you'll get 'hot spots'.  Allis heads aren't very susceptible to hot spotting from bubbles... but the Ford Industrial 192 four in my Hyster forklift WAS... until I did a cooling mod that prevents bubbles from accumulating.

As for your radiator, the guy my local buddies all recommend, is Bill's Radiator & Automotive on 11th St in DeWitt.  I think Jerrod is the name they've mentioned, but they're a recommended go-to for all radiators antiquish.

Edited by DaveKamp - 24 Mar 2023 at 12:01am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 8:52am
i will look into this stuff. after reading what you had to say i think the crack letting pressure escape is the main problem. before i cracked it it never had problems with steaming, not shure what the temp was because the old temp aguge was broken
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 9:29am
i am taking my radiator into the shop on wednesday.
i was wondering would the radiator from a wd work for my wd45
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 9:51am
Bring the Radiator to a Radiator shop. They'll boil out the Radiator and fix anything that needs repair.  You should be in great shape providing the water pump is in good shape.

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 10:44am
Ok would it work though
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 1:04pm
WD has different neck angle. Could maybe use a flex hose? Not what I'd do but sometimes you are forced into situations.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 1:33pm
ok 
i thought they looked simmilar thanks
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 1:36pm
what is the copper tube that attatches to hte fill pourt for
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 5:08pm
over flow if the cap is working right
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 5:38am
Parts book shows the same part number for the WD and WD45.  Should be the same thing.
AaronSEIA
Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 7:55am
Don't forget to check the thermostat. a sticking one can cause all kinds of problems
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:02am
How do I know if it is stuck
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 9:11am
you can put it in a pan of water and a thermomoter on the stove and see if it opens and closes proper and at what temp it opens,      every one has a candy thermomter
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 9:28am
i will try that after i get the radiator fixed thanks
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 8:14am
Any idea what it might cost too get the radiator fixed
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 9:02pm
No but I bet the guy you take it to can give an estimate and the possible scenereous what it could cost depending on what he runs into.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:02pm
At what temperature is the thermostat supposed to open
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 1:14pm
Rule of thumb average I’d say is 180-190 degrees.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 2:34pm

This is the thermostat I have.
I think parts are missing
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 8:06am
I need to get new hoses for the radiator. What size are they.
I need the hose from the water pump to the thermostat
I need the hose from the bottom of the water pump to the radiator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic