This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

allis ca hand clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: allis ca hand clutch
    Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 7:05am
Morning I have a CA with a hand clutch issue. It works fine when first started and ran for awhile but then out of the blue it wont engage. Seems to make a grinding noise like metal on metal. Would that be the springs or balls inside?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 2:27pm
Sound like it needs a rebuild. When they are working correctly the axle clutch will transfer more power that a factory engine clutch. 
  Pull the Right final drive to get to the axle clutch to see hat is going on. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 8:11pm
Course I have not been here for quite a while but when I was I remember in the knowledge section there was a GREAT post on rebuilding a CA hand clutch.  Really informative.
Might be wise to get the parts together before you get into it.  Hate to see you pull it apart then find you could not get all the necessary parts
Good Luck!
Bill Long
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 6:46pm
Thanks for the info. I will pull apart and take a look. No good if using and tractor quits moving. Does any know for sure if parts are available hate to have to bolt clutch together. I bought this for the live clutch capabilty
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by rilenz rilenz wrote:

Thanks for the info. I will pull apart and take a look. No good if using and tractor quits moving. Does any know for sure if parts are available hate to have to bolt clutch together. I bought this for the live clutch capabilty

I agree the hand clutch on a CA makes the tractor very useful. For new parts check with Brenda at Sandy Lake Implement. If some parts may no longer be available ( such as springs or the balls ) a generic part can be found. I have a box full of used parts for the CA hand clutches. I also know of alternative sources for new parts. 
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 6:15am
Can the CA right axle be replaced with a C or B axle if one becomes desperate enough?

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 6:23am
Originally posted by corbinstein corbinstein wrote:

Can the CA right axle be replaced with a C or B axle if one becomes desperate enough?

NO:

For Pullers, I'll replace the Right side axle clutch parts with a LH axle from a CA. The only Part that interchanges between the final drives of a CA with B/C parts is the brake drum used on the LH pinion axle.
  Some that don't wish to fix a CA final drive clutch will dill a hole to bolt the pieces together. If a CA final drive clutch is fixed properly it will transfer more power than a factory engine clutch.
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 9:11am
hey I'm up to my butt in snow so I couldn't thank people for the advise. I was out trying to plow just now and the tractor hand clutch worked sort of but then slipped again but I did notice it seemed to be ok in reverse. Could this possible be a adjustment issue?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 3:53pm
With any issue a simple adjustment is the first thing to do.
 I have one CA that kinda has a weak clutch. I has the proper clearance at the throwout bearing. The more I use it the better it gets until the tractor sits a spell. These clutches are designed somewhat like a Farmall disc brake on Super and later models, if there is good lining and no oil anywhere it should grab better under load. 
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 6:48am
Thanks I'm going to try adjusting the clutch today and see if that helps or will have to tear it apart. I printed the pictures of the rebuild very nice so hope all goes well.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:12am
Wear a respirator or at least a mask when you take it apart at least until you get it vacuumed out. You will find all kinds of material in there including asbestos which the pads was made out of. Mice also like to build nest in there and their urine tends to rust everything up. It could be as simple as cleaning up the parts.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 9:25am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Wear a respirator or at least a mask when you take it apart at least until you get it vacuumed out. You will find all kinds of material in there including asbestos which the pads was made out of. Mice also like to build nest in there and their urine tends to rust everything up. It could be as simple as cleaning up the parts.

VERY GOOD ADVICE!!!

A few years ago, we had some guys that got very sick at work from cleaning some bird droppings from under a bridge they were working on. Breathing in some of this crap might not make you sick immediately, but there could be long term consequences.
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:53am
I have a similar problem with my ED40 hand clutch. It slipe from timr to time.
Very rusted. But the disk seem 
The disc seems to be reusable after a good cleaning and if possible to remove the shiny aspect, may be by brushing or an other trick , and wearing a mask.
I will replace the springs and the balls, I would also like to replace the balls seats. But impossible to find the ball seats in spare parts. An idea where to find one?
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 6:31pm
Hey people good news I got the CA moving by adjusting the actuator. Pretty sure I will tear apart this summer to check everything out. Thanks again for the info I'm sure I'll be on with ? this summer.
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 6:47am
I saw in a previous post, that it was necessary to grind 1/8" off the ears to have  the clutch wotking properly/ 
Is it right?

rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 6:55pm
I understood that to be when you rebuild the clutch put in a vise and if the ears touch the bottom case to remove ears accordingly
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 5:47am
Morning I have another ? on the hand clutch for a CA. When disengaged should I be able to put in reverse without the grinding. Goes in 1st 2nd and 3rd pretty decent.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 6:32am
DO NOT  shift gears on a CA with the axle clutch dis-engaged. When doing so the transmission is still powered by the engine (because the axle clutch is after the transmission) and will end up causing transmission damage resulting in it becoming a gear jumper. When ever shifting gears in a CA, ALWAYS dis-engage the foot clutch. 
  Unlike the larger tractors in which the hand clutch is ahead of the transmission. With the larger tractors if the hand clutch or Power director is did-engaged the transmission is no longer positively connected to the engine
rilenz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rilenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 9:32am
Thanks So now I assume a person should use a override clutch to use a brush hog on a CA so if you have to backup you can shift without completely stopping blades
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 10:04am
Over riding clutch is a good plan. Will keep you from being pushed into the fence,creek, whatever.
Chaimers View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:24am
I sent mine away and had it rebuilt,it still slipped so I took it back out and ground some off the ears and now it works.Be carefull not to take to much.In the future I will grind the ears instead of rebuilding if it doesnt look bad.
John426 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John426 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:50am
Chaimers

Did you check clearance between the actuator bearing and clutch pack?
Do you have 0.05" or 0.02" as recommended on the manual?
I see that some put 0.05" and other 0.02"
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 11:37am
John426...Not sure what the thickness should be on the hand clutch disc for the ED40, but the one for the CA hand clutch should read right around the .500-.505 thickness...that will tell you how much wear is on the disc...should be the same, most likely...looks like the same exact material that's on the CA hand clutch disc, too...I know the new balls are available for the CA hand clutch and quite possibly the springs, too, from AGCO.

Edited by Rick - 26 Mar 2023 at 11:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic