This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 IV gas power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 IV gas power steering
    Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 5:20am
I'd double check the suction hose. Small crack(s) in the hose is all it takes to loose suction.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 6:03pm
Remove the grille screen and oil fill breather. Start the engine and look in the hole with a flashlite. I think you can see the oil moving, which indicates the pump is working and flowing oil. So, now wait a couple of days and do the same thing with cold oil start-up. Don't do anything but start the engine and look in the hole that is already open for your viewing. If the pump isn't moving oil immediately after start-up, the pump has lost prime (shaft seal on the pump?). If it is moving oil and still no power steering, I'm thinking the control valve has issues.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2023 at 5:48pm
Weather got nice today so I got back to the tractor. Both clamps on suction are like new and tight. The big line going into bolster is tight. Fluid at proper level. The belt is tight. No visible signs anywhere on system show any signs of leaks of any kind. I started the tractor and manually had to crank the wheel fully right to left probably 6 full times at half throttle before the power steering kicked in. Ryan
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 8:18pm
Tighten clamps on suction line to pump. Then make sure nut is tight on suction tube in front housing.                      MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:38pm
Although the tractor dosen't get used much it is a all season problem. Fresh Dextron power steering fluid 5/8" above steering gear.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:30pm
Winter weather problem ?? or year round ?? what type of oil ??? Has the oil been changed ???
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:23pm
When I first start the tractor it dosen't have power steering until I use my Armstrong and turn the wheel all the way to each side once and sometimes twice and then it works. I have the correct level of fluid in it and the belt is tight. Any helpful hints as to what to look at? Thanks, Ryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic