This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 3pt plow question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 3pt plow question
    Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 6:37am
Is the lever on this plow to adjust depth?  If so, wouldnt that be a hard bugger to move?

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 6:51am
That lever steers the plow. If the plow wants to pull left or right, you use that lever to correct the draft.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 7:10am
interesting!  Thanks!

So how is the depth controlled?  Just by raising lower the 3pt?
only AC orange View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote only AC orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 7:12am
Lengthen or shorten the top link.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 7:51am
So "winging" the plow is auto done by the nature of the bottom lift links being offest from each other?  Or is there an adjustment for that too?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 8:02am
Side to side leveling is done with the cranks on your lift arms. What I see in the pictures looks like the landsides are worn out, which makes the plow pull to the left and causes the tractors nose to always want to pull towards plowed ground.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 8:06am
Thanks Guys.

Would be awesome if some one did a video on how to setup the plow step by step.  I am going to get this plow, I have a like new set of 387 bottoms to put on it.  My 175 will toy with this I bet.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 8:51am
A healthy running 170/175 will only "run with it" if it has good tread on the rear tires with fluid and a WORKING Traction Booster system. I don't think there's a 180 or 190 left that the traction booster linkage/torsion bar mechanism even works, if it has been used as a dedicated plowing tractor in its earlier life. I had to overhaul the torsion bar on my One-Seventy because it was pretty much worn out. But, it really works nice now !!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 9:07am
Yes, we have had to weld up the torsion bar hex ends also. There is a 'preload' bolt on the LH side to take the slack out of the lift arm torsion system. No one ever kept it in adjustment and thru the years the slamming back and forth allowed it to hammer out and wear the sockets and rod so as it pulls all the way back and hits the frame - thus no draft or traction booster control. The OEM configuration had the rod in a frame stationary socket on one side and the lift arm pivot assy on the other end. As a 3 pt hitch implement such as a plow engages the ground it pulls back and 'twists' the torsion bar and allows a slight rearward movement of the lift arms - there is a rod attached on the RH side that pulls on the draft linkage and will slightly raise the lift arms to transfer weight from the implement and its down draft force to the rear wheels.  When set properly with the position control to limit down travel (depth one wished to plow) there will be a smooth transfer of weight in a hard pull without raising the plow and then a return to the depth held by the position control as the draft decreases in lighter soil.   
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 9:29am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

A healthy running 170/175 will only "run with it" if it has good tread on the rear tires with fluid and a WORKING Traction Booster system. I don't think there's a 180 or 190 left that the traction booster linkage/torsion bar mechanism even works, if it has been used as a dedicated plowing tractor in its earlier life. I had to overhaul the torsion bar on my One-Seventy because it was pretty much worn out. But, it really works nice now !!

Ya, very unfamiliar with TB on the 175, I only know the SC 45/D17 version.  I did plow the 70 series 3bottom SC plow I have at 16" with no problem on the D17.  D17 converted to aftermarket 3pt so it wont be plowing anymore. (no TB) 
CORLEWFARM View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORLEWFARM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 5:49pm
In river bottom we used to pull 4-16 plow with a 175. Pulled the same with 185. Pulled the 4-16 easily but couldn't handle 5 16 . Pulled a neighbors 5-14 one time with the 185.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 8:29pm
Fully mounted plows without a tail wheel should (I think) have a slip heel on the rear bottom that drags on the furrow bottom. Then, you use the top link on the tractor to set the depth. I've found on my 4-bottom 70 series the top link works the best when it is in the TOP hole on the tractor. It just raises the rear bottom off the ground about a foot when raised, but the depth control using Traction Booster is really good.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 9:53am
Tom, I would be interested in seeing more pictures of this plow. Curious what model it is.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 10:00am
Plow pictured is a 73 model set up for 14 inch cut.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 10:08am
Thanks Doc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic