This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Year, New Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Year, New Project
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 9:33am
Changing directions a little but still fits in this Topic Heading.  Picked up this 35 Ford 1-1/2 ton truck.  Haven't gotten her to hit on more than 2 cylinders so far but pulled the distributor and a thorough cleaning and adjusting should help from what I've seen.  Previous owner said he had it running for a bit but I've discovered he had exaggerated some facts before the sale.  She does have 57K actual miles, and a PTO, considering putting a hoist on it, but first things first.  Haven't put air in the tires but they're probably so hard they won't go flat.

Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:06am
Very nice truck!!  I've always liked the old Fords.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:32am
JW,
 WOW! I really like it! I would also invite you to join the Ford Barn Forum. I have had a great success with help on my ragged ol truck from that site. (I am there with same handle)
 I like the looks of your truck! There is a new book on 35-36 Ford big trucks coming out soon too, semi-sponsored by Early Ford V8 Club. 
Your dash looks great! What are your plans and what is some of the back story on your awesome big truck? What size tires will you be looking for? 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 12:29pm
Very nice ! Id drop an Allis 426 in it, make a Ratrod ! But thats me 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 1:40pm
  I would do a complete original restore on that beautiful looking ole truck
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 2:04pm
Been looking for a 37 to put in the line-up with my 37 WC, U and A but this came up I had to give it a look.  Attempting to put her back as original as possible, ignition/steering lock missing but switch and all work.  Thanks Sugrarmaker, will take advantage of the group and always up for a good read.  I also got a Ford flat bed in the deal but haven't made up my mind yet, would have to widen it by 5-1/2" but then fashion the hoist system.  She's got 20", five bolt wheels and all 4 hub caps are there and decent shape.

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
What motor is in a truck like that? Flathead V8?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Really nice shape!!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 7:30am
That is a cool looking front end 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:26am
Be care of rims if split rims (widow makers) and not lock ring rims.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 10:01am
Make sure you are able to find the right size tires.
I have a 1954 Ford F-500.  Next impossible to find 7.50/20 or 8.25/20 truck tires.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 11:24am
Only GOOD Option is conversion to 18.5 or other Budd Style rims.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 7:25pm
Lots of little issues will need to be addressed but all in all, it's in pretty good shape, no rust holes anywhere, even has the original floor board.  Yes, it's a flathead V8 but not sure which model yet.  Of course they make the tires, at 350 a pop.  I don't want to change the axles unless I absolutely have to but brake issues may make me rethink that.  If the motor or transmission turn out to be junk then it will get all different undercarriage but the plan for now is to keep it as original as possible.
The 18.5 conversion sounds intriguing, I'd like some more information.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 9:21pm
Wow... that truck is so complete, and in such good condition, that I would just get it running and operational, clean it up good, and give it a coat of protective wax...  they are only 'original condition' once... Save the restorations for the ones that can't be kept original (i.e. ones that've been through a prior resto that wasn't-so-great), and save the 'rat rod' circumstance for using a chassis that's too-far-gone to use as original or resto, a body that's more gone-than-there, etc...  Keep the original drivetrain...  everybody builds rat-rods using cliche crap.

As for wheels and tires, I would have a set of custom-made 19.5 wheels (Stockton Wheel, or someone like that) to bolt on to the existing hubs... go through the brakes thoroughly, make it safe to drive.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 1:14am
yep....rat rod it!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 6:22am
Very cool!

I like Dave Kamp's idea, keep it looking old, but great.  Whatever you choose, enjoy, that's a neat truck.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:59am
I agree with Dave and Tbone... it is your truck, enjoy... decide as you move forward.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:03pm
Yeah, I'd be hotroddin' it to. But.. I'm a hotrodder by heart. For a 1 1/2 ton truck, that thing is in beeeutiful shape! Let's see... small block Ford w/AOD trans would fit nice in there.  Big smile  I had a 400 sbc w/350 Turbo in my 30 Model AA many years ago. I had upgraded to the same motor wheels that are on your truck. Gotta' be careful around them split rims man! Whew! They're dangerous fir' sure! I love the look of those wheels though. My AA had the 28-29 closed cab on it with 30 fenders, short dove tail running boards and dual wheels. It was considered an early 30.  Ole' Henry was mix matchin' parts to make the commercial trucks before the new round cabs came out. Using the old stuff up he was....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 2:46pm
Today I set out to clean and set the points, gasket all but missing for the coil. Everything checked out OK, made a gasket and ready to reinstall. First gasket I’ve knocked out in years, taught my daughter and she was hammering out WC carburetor gaskets from age 10 but she up and grew up, moved out and got married so I’m back to making my own.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 4:37pm
Did  I read somewhere ?? the only way to make a Ford run is to jam a Cummins in it .       LMAO 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

Did  I read somewhere ?? the only way to make a Ford run is to jam a Cummins in it .       LMAO 

Don’t leave old Red sitting unprotected, if the flathead doesn’t work, that 7.3 would make a nice power plant!
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 8:10am
And your winner for the Coolest Project in 2023 is (drum roll ----------------------------------------------------------------) 
JW from Missouri with his 1935 Ford truck!!!

Edited by Unit3 - 13 Jan 2023 at 8:10am
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 10:00am
JM,
 Sure hope you keep this truck close to original! Love the truck! Whats the next steps? I have several sources for parts that I have used. Most are pretty good folks to work with. Yuor flat head V8 should be able to be brought back to life, unless it has internal cracks in water jacket. Just takes time and money.
I have been trying to make a little headway on mine each week during the winter. Have a horn problem next. 
Maybe will see you over on the Ford Barn Forum?
Are you the guy that has all the OLD Allis tractors and does videos of the restorations? 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jan 2023 at 10:03am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 5:41pm
JM,
Any updates on the Old Ford truck?
Regards,
 Chris
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 6:53pm
Nice old truck, I have a friend here in Gallatin that has one similar. The hoist on them are very unique, gear driven. Keep it original, you won't regret it! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:24am
Have been scouring for a decently barn kept older medium duty truck, to transfer the running gear from under my F250SD as it is corrupting so fast.  Scary how expensive Barn Finds can get.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:40am
Nice find! I love the look of those old gauges.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:22am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Have been scouring for a decently barn kept older medium duty truck, to transfer the running gear from under my F250SD as it is corrupting so fast.  Scary how expensive Barn Finds can get.

Barn finds are all the rage these days as evidence by all the YouTube videos out there. Have inflated prices beyond reason. For buyers anyway.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 6:51pm
The old girl runs as of today.  New plugs, plug wires, 2 new inner and 2 new outer distributor caps, a little gasoline down the carb and she came to life.  Mice took the stuffing out of the driver side of the seat and deposited it inside the muffler, the first pop blew that out and she purrs like a kitten.  Posted a short video on Facebook, now I need a get a second job cause I got a sneakin feelin this is gonna cost me.  The truck is one thing but this will probably add up to new curtains, furniture or whatever else will even out the spending.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

The old girl runs as of today.  New plugs, plug wires, 2 new inner and 2 new outer distributor caps, a little gasoline down the carb and she came to life.  Mice took the stuffing out of the driver side of the seat and deposited it inside the muffler, the first pop blew that out and she purrs like a kitten.  Posted a short video on Facebook, now I need a get a second job cause I got a sneakin feelin this is gonna cost me.  The truck is one thing but this will probably add up to new curtains, furniture or whatever else will even out the spending.
congratulations! Very cool truck project. Cost appreciation~ spoken honesty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic