This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mowing tractor advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eodcoduto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mowing tractor advice
    Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 12:54pm
I'm looking for a sounding board here on a tractor to clip 25 acres of pastures.  We run a small regenerative agriculture farm and one pillar of our farm is management intensive grazing of cattle and sheep.  Yes 25 acres doesn't sound like a lot but we make good money per acre.  Clipping the pastures behind the flerd (cattle and sheep herd/flock) is a requirement to keep the grass at the boot stage, 8-12" high, mixed grass with 20% legumes, and my 6' bush hog with the Kubota L3240, 32 hp, just takes too long.  Our small place is split by a creek that is is a royal pain for work flow, and I need something that will pull a 10-12' mower, ether rotary or flail so that I'm not spending all my free time clipping.  I grew up in Western Nebraska on an Allis only farm, 190xt, D19, 7030, 7040, 7080, and a 7580 so I'd like to stick with an Allis.  The physical size of the Kubota is close to a shortened 185 and that size works great for us. 

That longwinded but I want all the details out there.  I'm thinking a 6080 with FWA would be perfect but they are hard to find and I don't want a cab.  A 185 is probably the best middle of the road solution but I'm open to ideas, there is an Agco dealer about 45 minutes away, a JD 5 min, and a Kubota, and Case IH 40 min away.  I also don't cut hay and do not plan to ever start. 

Edited by eodcoduto - 17 Dec 2022 at 12:55pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 2:31pm
If you don't really NEED a tractor with an FWA, don't buy one. They all (all brands) will one day require repairs to that axle whether you use it or not.
eodcoduto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eodcoduto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 2:48pm
After having the front wheel assist on the loader it would be hard for me to go back to not having one. This is all a long term fix so I’m in no rush, but if I did go to 6080 route I would want to put a loader on it and then I can get rid of the Kubota. If I stick with a non-loader tractor I’m fine without the front wheel assist.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 3:00pm

Here is a Link that might help you decide.

You get a 'modern' orange tractor, and FWA if you like.

G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T77175unCkc
eodcoduto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eodcoduto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 4:19pm
I'm cheap, and spending 30K+ on a new tractor isn't an option, but I do enjoy having at least one orange tractor around.  An Agco Allis, White, or other is on my mind too.  
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 6:45pm
There is a very nice 6080 at sale in Milford, Illinois next week. No cab.
Travis2766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 10:35pm
I would try buying a good 7’ sickle mower, the extra foot of cut and the fact you can cut at a higher speed than a brush hog may surprise you, (and it’s a lot cheaper than a big mower) just my thoughts. If you’re set on a bigger mower, you can’t go wrong with a 180,185 or a 190 to run it.
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 10:46am

Glad to hear of another Regenerative Agriculture convert :)

One of my jobs back on the farm was sharpening sickle mower blades. It seemed like sickle mowers were slower but did give better hay quality (keeping more leaves on the stems) for baling. If you are 'clipping' high enough it's possible you could get ground speed up a lot over a brush hog. You'd be able to run one with your current tractor. Probably find one cheap to experiment with.

A used modern disc mower will be more cash and some say you'll need a bigger tractor. 
Again, a lot of the cutting speed will be based off how high you are cutting (how much the cows and sheep are trampling below the cut line).

Now, just for some idea brainstorming with a bit of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA88-o4Iatk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DP_VeNAR4

Expand on that concept but using one of this brand or Swisher or another, then install larger diameter wheels to get the cut height you need if they cannot go that high stock. Two of these "60+ inch" models gets into your 10-12 ft and use any tow vehicle you want. Quad runner or Electric golf cart? The second link is a self-built design using a rear differential and ground speed (weight on tires) to propel the blades without a separate engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2RbaCdlbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tM1lRvGZow

Edited by jvin248 - 18 Dec 2022 at 11:11am
eodcoduto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eodcoduto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 1:46pm
I have been on the hunt for a 7-9" sickle mower, the hp required works for my tractor with an issue being most sickle bar mounts are too wide for the compact tractors.  I have seen guys make adapters and I guess that's why I have a welder and a mill.  I getting a bigger mower and putting an engine on it is an idea that I hadn't thought about, they did that with square balers a lot and it worked great for small tractors.  This is one reason I love this forum!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 3:55pm
I kind of like the 185 option and keep the Kabota.. Cant hurt to have two tractors , a backup... just in case ! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I kind of like the 185 option and keep the Kabota.. Cant hurt to have two tractors , a backup... just in case ! Wink
I agree or pickup a 200 and a 10’ woods rotary cutter but keep the kubota
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 12:18am
I'd suggest an AC180 or 185 and a 15' batwing mower. You're cutting the tops of grass & weeds in an already grazed area. 
 The 70 hp will run the mower fine. Until everyone had to have cabs w/AC, a similar sized tractor was used to pull that sized / type mower by alot of State & County road departments. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:51am
I knew a man years ago used an AC 175 tractor to pull a 15 foot Servis batwing rotary cutter. I think before that tractor which he brought second hand he used a AC D-19 tractor. His farm was about 400 acres.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 7:53am
Ive run a 10' woods with a WD45 for cutting back pasture. enough power easyly manuverable and Cheep. I'd keep the FWA kubhota  since its working for you I realy wouldnt even consider  40  year old FWA as a only tractor.  Weve been down for extended periods getting parts for a CASE IH magnum front end parts and they are still in business.
1953ACWD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1953ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:18pm
I'm mowing 120 acres once a year with an Allis-Chalmers 175 and 7' Enorossi sickle bar mower on a regenerative cattle farm.  Takes a little while, but I don't do it all at one time.  It's a fairly inexpensive set up and gets job done.  Wet and steeply sloping areas I mow with my 4-wheeler and a Kunz 57" rough cut mower.
1953 WD - Grandpop bought new, sold to neighbor in 1965, I bought back in 2001, restored 2021; 1974 175 Gas; 1980 5050 Diesel, w/400 Loader
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:22am
For only 25 acres I'd just buy a CA or WD and a pull type cutter.
Yooper Smoker View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yooper Smoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:53am
Id stick with a sickle bar its easier on the cover crop
kinda like a barber cutting hair, if its sharp it cuts and don't pull
if you are using a multiple mix on the field some of the plants will get yanked out by the brush hog
the C that I just acquired came with an under belly sickle bar
so that will save me time switching attachments during Hay season

Mike  
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 1:48pm
Lot of folks stuck in the 60’s here.

Go with one of those 3pt disc mowers. 3-4 years ago went from sickle haybine to a discbine. With a discbine you can pretty much cut as fast as you stand driving can’t say that about a sickle.

We have 4 6080’s, the latest came off the truck and into to the shop knew she was a fixer upper so can’t comment on that one. Of the other 3 have 2 2wd’s and a mfwd. Really don’t care for the mfwd matter of fact wish I never bought it and instead pulled the trigger on a 4609 MF. Love the 2 remaining 2wd’s we got 12? tractors farm 1300 acres and them 2 always rack up the most hours a year.

Edited by victoryallis - 07 Jan 2023 at 1:49pm
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 1:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic