This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding fuel filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding fuel filter
    Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:31pm
So I’m thinking about adding an inline fuel filter to the D-15. There seems to be some sediment recurring in the glass bowl from the fuel tank, I assume. Recommendations?
D-15 18466
John Deere 1025R
Sponsored Links

Travis2766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:48pm
Does your sediment bowl have the filter/screen on top inside of it?
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.
Tinslinger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:03pm
yes it does
D-15 18466
John Deere 1025R
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:17pm
That sediment bowl should do the job. Maybe time to clean fuel tank.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:22pm
Ok, I guess I’ve never heard of that. Exactly how does one go about cleaning the tank? Thanks!
D-15 18466
John Deere 1025R
Travis2766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis2766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:43pm
Just cleaned one on my d15, depends on how bad the inside is as to what needs to be done. If it’s just sediment and small particles from the fuel, drain the fuel, pull the sediment bowl off the bottom of the tank, flush it with a garden hose and wash all the junk out. I use a bottle brush attached to a long handle to brush any junk out that’s a bit stubborn. Let it dry and put it back together. If it’s rusty you need to pull the tank off, remove the sediment bowl and fuel gauge, plug the sediment bowl/drain hole and flush the tank out with water and be sure to fill it as full of water as possible, dump the water out through the fill hole, don’t skip the water part unless you want to blow yourself up. Then add some small clean rocks or nuts (yup rocks!), some carb cleaner and shake to buff the rust off the inside of the tank. Once clean dump the rocks, flush with water and reassemble.
190XT Series III, D17 Series IV, D15 Series II, All Crop 66 and a whole mess of equipment.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:42am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:53am
Have done that also
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:52am

It doesn't hurt and may even help avoid problems using an inline filter.

One thing to make sure when installing keeping the filter away from a hot manifold. I've seen the plastic bulge up from heat before on a tractor I bought.

The other item: if you are putting away the tractor in the fall to have the last tank fill up you do with non-ethanol gasoline, and then shut the bowl off and allow the tractor to use up all fuel in the carb. Ethanol seems to allow water to come out of solution when hit with tank condensation vapor. Then the water in the tank rusts it out.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:35am
I would echo the thoughts on cleaning the tank. I would add that in MY case it wasn't always enough. When I did the tank on WD 'Grandpa', I employed electrolysis to get the rust off. It did this well. However, after power washing and re-installation, the rust just kept on coming. Short story, I installed an inline filter. Made the impression on me to the point every one that came home got an inline for several tractors before I gave that up.

Enter the 756, this thing sat for who knows how long. I got it with a stuck engine. Knew the tank was going to need some attention before I had a usable tractor. Strapped it to the wheel on the NF 45 for a good tumble. Well, must not have tumbled it long enough. Probably did except there is a partition in this tank. The 'media' didn't get on the one side to scrub it that well. End result, I'm fighting rust getting in the carb again! Really didn't want to cut the fuel line for a filter but eventually did.

Anyway, inline filters have worked great for me.

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 11:01am
Take the tank to a local shop and have them clean it with muriatic acid. Everything will be 100 percent spic n span in there, then get the tank lined. It will never rust and you will never need an inline filter. I have had many tanks done and have never had a problem. It's the best long term solution.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by jvin248 jvin248 wrote:

It doesn't hurt and may even help avoid problems using an inline filter.

It doesn't hurt, IF you replace the rubber gas line every couple years. and make SURE you have a gravity feed fuel filter.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:59pm
i made a right angle steam cleaner wand to get in the tank and wash the sides and top , i also have used rocks and straped it to a cement mixer the mixer will do the best job if the tank and rocks are dry 
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 6:39am
add a short "stand Pipe" inside the tank, basically on the top of the sediment bowl fitting. 

I did mine by drilling a 1/8" hole in the top carefully down just half an inch and put in a piece of copper tubing that I had cross drilled at the top in a couple places. the copper tubing needs only stick up into the tank about half an inch. open on the top, and cross drilled on the side. 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:12am
Like Myron (DSeries4) I opt to take the tank to a Radiator shop. There they can hot tank the tank out, line it, and you're good for another 40 years. The stand up pipe as Ron mentioned is a great idea along with an inline fuel filter just to catch any debris that got past the sediment bulb. After the tank has been done, it sure doesn't hurt to add some dry gas to the tank every time you put fuel in it. This gets rid of any water or moisture in the fuel from condensation or a bad batch of fuel from the gas station...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 1:58pm
I have these serviceable glass inline filters on two tractors. I like them far more than the original glass bowl as the gaskets on them can be a pain. After doing a simple tank flush and pinhole repair on the tank for the "B", the cleaning interval of this inline screen filter is now very stretched. The screen is fine enough that the needle never hangs up. My plan was to include a picture here but the upload failed. Cry
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 4:12pm
UPDATE: I went to the local Allis Chalmers parts store and bought a carburetor rebuild kit. I drained the fuel tank and removed the shut-off valve at the glass bowl. The guys at the AC store said, “Whatever you do, DO NOT REMOVE THE JETS from that carburetor.” It was odd that my buddy, (an ace mechanic) told me the same thing. So I took the carb apart and sprayed every orifice I could find with Gum-Out. (Insert copyright symbol here). Put everything back together. I used some steel wool on the shut-off valve seat, and also some dental floss for nut backing when I put it back together. Well, after getting gas back into the carb, the old girl fired right up. I took the plow (2 bottom) and made a couple rounds just to see if she would pull and all is well. I did peer into the gas tank when it was empty and it looked all nice and shiney in there. My best guess is that I may have contaminated the fuel when I installed the new fuel gauge, but that’s just a hunch. Nevertheless, we’re back in business, and thank you all for you valuable advice, guidance and expertise.
D-15 18466
John Deere 1025R
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic