This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Repower wiring question 900 series lawn tractors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repower wiring question 900 series lawn tractors
    Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 5:00pm
Probably a question for the Simple Tractors site, but hopefully this site can help me out.  Have a 900 series tractor, that I have removed the Kohler KT19 series II.  Replacing with a Briggs and Straton 18 hp Vanguard.  My question is regarding the two available wires on the B &S side.  There is a purple and a red wire.  Purple wire is heavier that the red wire.  Which wire would go to the black coil wire and then I assume the yellow wire would go to the remaining wire on the B&S engine.  See pictues

The 900 series lawn tractor has a yellow wire and a black wire.  The black went to the coil, don't know what the yellow wire went to.  Any advice on this would be helpfull

Edited by snowman(MI) - 20 Nov 2022 at 5:09pm
1950 WD, 1966 D-10 III, 1961 D-10 II, 1966 D-15 II Gas, A-C Minibike, 917 Hydro Mower, 917 Hydro Blower w/cab, West Michigan "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

A-C_220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-C_220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:56pm
Your new Briggs and Stratton Vanguard should have a wire to crank the starter, another to ground the ignition coils, 1 more to send power to the voltage regulator, and maybe another for an "anti afterfire" solenoid on the carburator. The voltage regulator should have power with the key on and the ignition coil should have no power with the key on and be grounded with the key off which wire is which I can't tell with the fuel line in the way. Hope this helps 

P.S. If you haven't already, You'll have to change your key switch to one that doesn't send power to the coil

Edited by A-C_220 - 20 Nov 2022 at 7:59pm
Don Jr NY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Jr NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 4:53am
Just curious as to why you are taking the Kohler engine out? I know the series I engines had problems but the series II engines were pretty much bullet proof. Does your Kohler still run? Thanks.
snowman(MI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 5:52am
The Kohler series II did run and was getting tired.  I have a relatively new  B&S Vanguard that I had in another 900 series that I had retired due to other mechanical problems.  So I decided to do the engine swap.  So if anyone is interested in the KT-19 (I'm in Sand Lake, Michigan), PM me that possibly we can strike a deal. 

Getting back to the B&S Vanguard, still trying to get some insight as to what the purple and red wires need to be hooked up to.  From the 900 series frame there was a black wire that was running to the coil and a yellow wire.  Any ideas?  I haven't put a volt meter on the black or yellow as to what those are supplying with the key in start and run positions.

1950 WD, 1966 D-10 III, 1961 D-10 II, 1966 D-15 II Gas, A-C Minibike, 917 Hydro Mower, 917 Hydro Blower w/cab, West Michigan "Allis Express"
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:24pm
If the Purple wire is heavier than the other wires, that's telling me it's a load wire. Either bringing power to the engine or solenoid or transferring power to a circuit breaker or junction block.  Unfortunately, I don't have a B/S Vangard wiring diagram to look at and bail you out......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 2:28pm
I'm currently waiting for a call back from Small Engine Warehouse.  What frustrates me is i have had this in another 900 series mower, but don't remember how this was hooked up before. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 7:17pm
wire from the briggs coils is a ground wire to kill it,        if you whent from that old kohler to a briggs make sure the kill wire on the key is in the ground position and not a battery one or the magical smoke will come out of the coils in just seconds  the briggs in the picture has its own rectifier on it  i dont know how many wires are coming out of it probley one that goes to battery
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 8:21pm
The Yellow wire usually comes from the "R" terminal on the Ignition switch in the 5 way connector to the rectifier. The Black wire would also be coming from the Ignition switch to the + side of the coil from the 5 way plug....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:59am
So I got a response from Small Engine Warehouse.

Red Wire: Hot wire, will need 12 volt with key switch in run and crank position.
Purple Wire: Battery charge wire

I need to confirm the following from the previous install of the following concerning the yellow and black wire on the mower side.  Before when I had installed the same engine in a 900 series frame this is what I confirmed relative to the key switch:

the Yellow wire which was on the rectifier with the Kohler engine is as such:  Key off = no voltage, Key on = 12 volts , Key Crank = 12 volts.   For the black wire which was on the coil with the Kohler engine I checked:  Key off = no power, Key on = 12 Volts, Key Crank = 12 volts.

I'm thinking that the tractor side black wire would connect to the red lead on the B&S Vanguard.  And then connect the yellow wire (tractor side) to the purple wire on the B&S Vanguard.  Looking for some opinions on this if I'm going about this correctly.  Possibly only hook up the black to red and see if it will run????

Thanks for all the earlier input on this, just want some additional advice on this.

snowman(MI)

Edited by snowman(MI) - 23 Nov 2022 at 10:53am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 1:01pm
So we have ignition and got to put the blower through a workout here in West Michigan this weekend as the Lake Michigan lake effect snow machine was cranking out white stuff on Saturday.  I do have the Kohler KT19 series II that I took out of this unit that is available, PM if you want to make offer and I'm 20 miles north of Grand Rapids, Michigan

Edited by snowman(MI) - 18 Dec 2022 at 1:05pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:39pm
Snowman! Glad to see you got the ole' girl going again! Keep her running good because from what the weatherman says, you're in for a Blizzard heading your way. Looks like my brother is gonna get it also. He's up near Chicago in Downers Grove. The ole' girl will get a real workout this time around!  Love the cab!
Steve@B&B
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 8:38am
agree that's a neat cab !!!
quick, like a bunny, take 2-3 pictures of how the wiring is NOW and save 'here,there, everywhere' !!!

and... please keep the white stuff, until the 28th, then I'll gladly accept all of it
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic