This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions- AC garden tractors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions- AC garden tractors
    Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 11:18am
I'm interested in a 900 series Garden tractor.  

What are the differences between the 700's and 900's?
What years were they made?
Do the lower hp 900's have the same drivetrain as the higher hp's?
Any production changes to note?
How do the hydro's hold up? Would it be safer to look for a gear drive shift instead? 
Are the Kohler engines all cast iron or sleeved?
Are parts readily available? 
Any other info/tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 6:56pm
I have a 917 Hydro and a Simplicity that's just like it,  even paint, except the paint.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 7:09pm
I have a 917 hydro Allis, I have a Simplicity just like it, even the paint except the decals say Simplicity.
 Don't know what went wrong with my computer, it will not let me fix or delete the above post.

Dusty
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 7:15pm
The 900s are a little longer then 700s. Most parts are interchangeable. 
Good amount of parts still available. But as time goes on finding things discontinued. 
If your able to look before buying check the play in bevel gear box.
We haven’t had any issues with hydro. I think your better for parts availability with hydro.
I believe same drive line throughout the line.
For allis line the 700s came out 1974 and the 900s came out in 1979

Edited by Mikez - 06 Nov 2022 at 7:23pm
acken View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 7:34pm
900 had center drive for snowblower, which could be upgraded on a 700. Older 900 single cylinder models had cast iron block, 917/919 had cast cylinders, with aluminum block. Newer versions 918, and Sovereigns used Kohler Command that has aluminum block with cast sleeve. 920, and 7790 had Lombardine diesel. All had similar drivetrain with the exception of 920/7790 had longer axle, assume for better stability cause weigh of tractor was greater. Hydros have been very reliable if you service them as needed, and keep oil in them.

Edited by acken - 06 Nov 2022 at 7:35pm
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 7:37pm
I also have a 720 H  It is larger than the 917, and it has 3-point, and a loader on it.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 9:37pm
I have a 917 hydro and 2-720 hydros. I enjoy my 720’s the most. Very versatile machine, 3 point lift allows many other implements to be used. Hydraulics up front for snow thrower or a blade. Even for mowing the yard, I like the 5’ cut versus the 4’ cut on my 917H. I do however prefer the Kohlor engine over the Onan. The Onan is finicky, seams like I’m always tinkering with it. The Kohlor has been rock solid. After 35 years it finally gave me an issue this summer, leaking oil pretty bad. I have the engine pulled replacing the flywheel seal and the pto side seal. Going to also pull the heads to clean them and replace the gaskets. Really depends on what your needing the tractor for. If you just want to mow the yard and have a trouble free tractor then the 917H would be best. Both Hydro’s are reliable.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic