This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B with melted lead in the oil pan.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hillmann View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Polishing the journals will be fine, as long as there are not big groves or spalling... You pick any deposits off the journals ,then polish  with emery .... small scratches are not a major problem ....

I would look at the MAINS also ......... cam shaft bearings a brass, not babbit ... you might see that it turns smoothly.

ALso this is a BYPASS FILTER system... and it is SPLASH LUBED.. the cam is hollow and has holes in it that SHOOT oil toward the bottom of pistons and run down the rods.. Not direct oil pressure to the bearings.... and the filter just takes 15% of the total oil flow, filters it, and dumps back to sump.....

I would prefer not to take the main bearings apart. The crank shaft has no up and down or side to side play(that I can tell) But it does have excessive end play.  I am assuming the main bearings are still OK, and the end play was that way when I bought the tractor.

I will have to take a closer look at how the cam shaft is mounted and its bearings.

Can you explain the splash lubed part a bit better?  The only splash lubed engines I have first hand experience with small engines where there is a dipper on the connecting rod or  the gear for the governor throws oil on everything.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:54pm
also note that the connecting rods dont all go in the same way.. Two face the cam and the other two the opposite way... Bearing on the rod is OFFSET one way to get clearance by the center Main Bearing.

#1 MAIN has a thrust built into the bearing.. You might check END SHAKE of the crank and make sure it is not excessive... suppose to be around .005 inch.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:52pm
Polishing the journals will be fine, as long as there are not big groves or spalling... You pick any deposits off the journals ,then polish  with emery .... small scratches are not a major problem ....

I would look at the MAINS also ......... cam shaft bearings a brass, not babbit ... you might see that it turns smoothly.

ALso this is a BYPASS FILTER system... and it is SPLASH LUBED.. the cam is hollow and has holes in it that SHOOT oil toward the bottom of pistons and run down the rods.. Not direct oil pressure to the bearings.... and the filter just takes 15% of the total oil flow, filters it, and dumps back to sump.....
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hillmann View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:43pm
So now that I know where the metal is coming from, would it do any more damage to the engine to polish out the scratches with some fine emery paper on the crank and slap new bearings in and run it? 

I know it wouldn't be the best for the new bearings but I want this tractor up and running NOW and don't want to pull the engine until winter to have the crank ground and replace the oil pump.  (it looks like the pump still works as long as I prime it)
Hillmann View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

The bearing shells are usually a steel back lined with babbit. If yours got hot enough, the babbit melted out and that's what is in the pan.  Babbit is a soft tin/lead alloy with a relatively low melting point.

Thank you.  That is what I assumed was where the material came from but I couldn't find information online or through the manual saying that the bearings were lined with babbitt so I figured I would ask here where someone would know for sure.

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:29pm
The bearing shells are usually a steel back lined with babbit. If yours got hot enough, the babbit melted out and that's what is in the pan.  Babbit is a soft tin/lead alloy with a relatively low melting point.
Hillmann View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:16pm
Is there babbitt anywhere in  a B engine?  Is there aluminum in a B engine?

Is there a facing on the connecting rod bearings?  Something has allowed there to be about .060 of play between the crank and connecting rod insert and I am guessing it is whatever the bearing inserts are faced with, but I don't know if they have a facing.

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:12pm
Babbit would be bearing material from the crankshaft and/or camshaft. If aluminum, it is from a piston(s).

Either way, it is very bad news for the engine.
Hillmann View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:04pm
I have a 1942 Allis B.  That stopped running while cutting hay yesterday.

It looks as though the oil pump stopped working and the connecting rod bearings are destroyed. The bearings probably have .060 of play on the crank shaft.

In the oil pan there was what looked like lots of chunks and blobs of melted lead.  I didn't have a magnet to test if it was magnetic out in the field and forgot to bring a piece home to test it so I am not sure it was lead but it sure looked like it.

Is that lead(probably babbitt) the facing from the bearing inserts in the connecting rods?  Or is it from somewhere else in the engine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic