This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Craftsman drill,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Craftsman drill,,,,,,
    Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 11:53am

The Handy Man that is doing the tile project in my house has burnt up two drills mixing the tile mix and I let him use my Milwaukee battery powered drill but ain't wantin him to burn it up too,,,,!!!!
 The first one to go is a Hyper Tough 5 amp 3/8" Electric Drill that needs brushes, SN is AQooo17G,,,of coarse it is made in china. Anyone got a source for getting a set of brushes??  It IS a really well made drill and just needs new brusshes.
 The other drill is a Big Craftsman 1/2" but cannot read the rest of the tag, It has a big "D" shaped handle at the rear of the drill. It also needs brushes too.  The biggest issue on the big one is the bearing at the chuck area has some play but I cannot figure how to remove the chucck to get to that bearing,,,and I think it musst be threaded onto the shaft that the main input gear is .  My question here is,,,is the chuck screwed onto shaft right handed or left handed,,,don't want to mess up the gear,,,,,
 Thanks for any help,,,,!!
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:16pm
Joe, you may find that there is a fastener down the center of the shaft. I had one I struggled with but eventually discovered the bolt, it's head severely battered from years of use that it was hard to recognize
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 12:26pm
yep... if you look on You Tube, you will see that most of the drills have a #12 or  1/4 inch LEFT HAND thread bolt at the bottom of the chuck.. You need a hex or torx to get the screw out... Then the chuck "normally" is a right hand thread....Normally lock a BIG allen wrench in the chuck and SMACK it with a hammer to knock it loose.... Problem is you have to know the BRAND and MODEL to get everything right.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 5:57pm

Hey Lou and Steve,,,I took and cleaned the hole down the cchuck and I did not see anything that might be the head of a bolt,,,I used a mirror with the sun behind me and can clearly see the flat end of what appears to be the end of the shaft and one or two threads,,,,I put some rust penetrant down the hole and it cleaned up pretty good,,but no bolt head,,,?? IF there is no bolt,,which way would the threads be? It doesn't make sense as it IS a reversable drill and would almost have to have that bolt to "LOCK" the chuck onto the shaft,,,,but there ain't one,,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 7:16pm
normal operation is CLOCKWISE which you would want to tighten the chuck... So "NORMALLY" they are right hand thread... Lefty Loosy.... "NORMALLY" one that is reversible will have the internal screw... but not necessairly.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 7:30pm
Old way to remove was to lock a long allen wrench in the chuck and SMACK it with a hammer... Some have had better luck putting a hex rod or similar in the chuck and using an impact gun with a socket to "unscrew" the chuck..
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 10:31pm

WELL,,,GUYS,,,MY AZZ IS THE BLACKEST ON THIS ONE,,,!! I knew I had to not be telling the Troot,,so I added some rust remover into the chuck cavity and let it set for a couple of hours,,,and ,,,and,,,LO & behold,,,there are some threads down at the btm of the chuck , obviously on the end of  the motor shaft,,,,!!!  I'll be go to haides,,,,,,,I DO apologize Guys!! The threads were completely covered up with all kinds of acumpocky,,,, I had removed the front section that has the big gear, the shaft and the chuck and the big gear sure looks like it be pot metal, so I don't want to jam something metal against the gear to try and break the chuck loose from the shaft,,,guess, I'll try some heat on the chuck first and use some vice grips on the chuck see if I can break it loose from shaft,,,,,

( Trying to make up for my screw up)

There was this dude that followed a teen age girl into the women's Rest Room telling some other women  that he identified as a woman,,,,next thing he realizes he is on the ground trying to spit up half of his teeth,,,,,,The 6 foot angry man tells the dude on the floor,,,I identify as the Tooth Fairy,,,,,,,
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:14am
LOL! I been down that path meownself! The first 30 times I examined I coulda' sworn there was no bolt in there!
I don't know how old the one I have is, it was my dad's and I have no idea where he got it. I doubt he bought it new 'cause he wouldn't have had enough use for it to spend that kind of money. 
Anyways, this one is a Craftsman, 1/2" geared drill. I suggest not using the trigger lock feature! I was drilling a half inch hole in steel, the bit caught as it broke through, whipped around darn near broke my wrist (as it was wrist swelled way up and was the meanest black green blue for a week or so) then proceeded to roll across the yard winding itself up in the power cord until it pulled the plug out of the extension cord.
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 12:17am
I might add the only thing I use it for now is a mixer, just like you. It does a fine job of that!
Wait for the Lord;
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 4:50am
If its a keyed chuck, sometimes you can get them to move by inserting the key, and hitting the key with a hammer, sharply.  Helps if the chuck is all the way open, or all the way closed, depending on the direction of the threads...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 5:31am
Chuck a 1/2” bolt in the Chuck very tight and use an impact on the bolt head.
I’ve never seen a reversible drill without the bolt in the center but plenty of old non revers-able don’t have it.
The impact or big Allen wrench does the trick for me.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:34am
Joe, your handyman might want to get one of these if he mixes mud on occasion: 20V Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Mud Mixer, Tool Only (harborfreight.com)

It's chinese but most everything is these days. A battery and charger will cost almost as much as the tool but can be used on other Bauer tools also. They are pretty good tools. Good luck on getting those drills repaired.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm

Well,, I finally got the danged chuck spun off the drill,,,whew!!! I had to use some heat down the center of the chuck and used a big pair of vise grips,on it , heated it up GOOD and hit that vise grips with a good sized ball pein and she come off pretty as you please,,,i forgot that sob was hot and almost burned my fingers when I tried to catch it. The end of the drill shaft IS threaded but lock bolt been gone for long time. I went to The Alien Town today to Westlake Hardware (Ace Hardware)and they had lots of brass bushings and I fount one that matches the old brass bushing to a "T " ( 1" X 3/4" X 1" long,,just got to machine the flange off the new brass bushin,,,,,,finally something started going my way,,,,ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Joe, your handyman might want to get one of these if he mixes mud on occasion: 20V Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Mud Mixer, Tool Only (harborfreight.com)

It's chinese but most everything is these days. A battery and charger will cost almost as much as the tool but can be used on other Bauer tools also. They are pretty good tools. Good luck on getting those drills repaired.

Yeah, Hubert,,I showed that one to him and going to HF  he is enough old fashioned,,he won't use a battery powered anything even after I showed him my Milwaukee will mix that mud pretty good,,,,ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:55pm

Well, Good News,,,I got that 1/2" drill all cleaned up and that brass bushing I got from Ace Hardware fit like a glove,,,and,,,and,,,it runs like there ain't no tamarrow,,,,Clap I'm really liking the varible speed for mixing some heavy Duty Chit,,,I'm still laughing at ole Lou scrambling out of the way of his big old drill chasing him across the field,,,,,!!!!LOLLOLLOL
  Only'ist thing I got to do Now  is find the bolt that locks the chuck onto the drill. Went to both hardware stores and three car parts stores and NOBODY gots a 5/16" Fine thread "LEFT HAND" bolt,,!! I tried a 1/4" Rt hand and a 5/16" Rt hand and no go. It is a 5/16 left hand thread so maybe fastenal or Ebay or,,?? Maybe I'll just drive up to the Alien Town to that big Ace Hardware,,hope they gots one,,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:13pm
Good luck finding a FINE THREAD bolt in left hand... They have NC, but FINE is very hard ( impossible??) to find... I dropped mine on the floor when removing a couple years ago... "no problem, just buy a new one".... found out there are Unobtainable..... Looked until i finally found it....... Maybe you will have better luck.... but i doubt it..
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:14pm
McMaster-Carr...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:03am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

McMaster-Carr...

Hey Thanks, Dave,,I gots a McMaster-Carr catalog here,,,,somewhere...I just gotta remember where in the heck I left it,,,,,,LOL
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 6:03am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

McMaster-Carr...

Hey Thanks, Dave,,I gots a McMaster-Carr catalog here,,,,somewhere...I just gotta remember where in the heck I left it,,,,,,LOL

You can go to their site, and enter in the bolt size, thread and lh, and it will pop right up. About $12, IIRRWink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 1:26pm
Joe I hope your alright after O'l Dave tried to give you the BIG one with a shock like that to fix drill that is older than shameless.

Wink Probably a bargain when you consider what a new drill would cost that will do as much work as old will before it rests again.  Or how many of the cheap ones it would take to do the work the old one can still get done.

But still a bit of sticker shock to me.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:06pm
if you think McMaster-Carr is bad at $12, google them, first one I looked at was $95!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
5/16 inch Fine thread, LEFT HAND  ?????? and you need a counter sink head / bevel / allen/ torx........... not very common..... where is that at McMaster ?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 9:54pm
 Chit,,Steve,,,my azz is the blackest again cause it is a 1/4" fine thread bolt in left hand thread and McMaster-Carr does not have one.  I had planned to buy a short head socket head  type  bolt and then reduce the OD of the head on my lathe to make it fit down inside the chuck but that ain't gonna work if the friggin bolt is not available in Left Hand FINE thread,,,,
 I "save" some of my old tools and am gonna look thru the box as I know there are at least two other Craftsman drills that "MAY" have that elusive bolt in em so,,,wish me luck,,,,Clap If not maybe some other "current brand" of reversable drills use the same bolt that I might could buy,,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 10:20pm
how many YEARS has the "missing" left hand bolt been Missing ??  Wink  Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Aug 2022 at 10:29pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 6:14am

Chit,,Steve,,,my azz is the blackest again cause it is a 1/4" fine thread bolt in left hand thread and McMaster-Carr does not have one.  I had planned to buy a short head socket head  type  bolt and then reduce the OD of the head on my lathe to make it fit down inside the chuck but that ain't gonna work if the friggin bolt is not available in Left Hand FINE thread,,,,
 I "save" some of my old tools and am gonna look thru the box as I know there are at least two other Craftsman drills that "MAY" have that elusive bolt in em so,,,wish me luck,,,,Clap If not maybe some other "current brand" of reversable drills use the same bolt that I might could buy,,,,??

Lock-tite and remember how you removed that Chuck.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:41am
Joe, most of the "new" drills will use a 5 or 6 mm METRIC bolt.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Hey Thad,,,you mean like the RED Thread locker,,? I did put some of that "RED" thread locker on a bolt on one of my chain saws,,,,dang near had to tear the engine up getting the friggin bolt back out,,,!!!!LOL

Hey Steve,,,Dang,,,but you got some danged good sources don't you,,?? I'ma gonna call em in the morning,,,  Many THANKS Guy,,,!!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 5:08am

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Hey Thad,,,you mean like the RED Thread locker,,? I did put some of that "RED" thread locker on a bolt on one of my chain saws,,,,dang near had to tear the engine up getting the friggin bolt back out,,,!!!!LOL

Hey Steve,,,Dang,,,but you got some danged good sources don't you,,?? I'ma gonna call em in the morning,,,  Many THANKS Guy,,,!!!!

I would use the red if it were me. Why?
Because I happened to slip down to my buddies machine shop the other day.
Some guy brought him a box of big jugs of red loctite.
He gave me a jug. There’s more in that jug than I’ve used in my lifetime.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:39am
I use Loctite a lot and it depends on the application of course.
Drill chuck I think I would use blue if you ever want to get it off again.
Red you have to heat it up some to get it off.
My opinion.

When I saw Old Craftsman Drill in the title, I remember when I was a teenager my dad had 2 of them. Aluminum case 1/2" and 3/8". I was using the 3/8" in the basement on concrete barefooted. Lit my ass up. Couldn't let go of it. Weird part was I could still think and knew what was going on but couldn't let go of it. Finally shook it loose and knocked me stupid for the rest of the day. Dad took a sledge hammer to both of them after that.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:50am
Previous job, guy telling a story on himself.  Never use a drill wearing cut-offs!  

The drill caught the cut off fringe, winding his hand so it stuck the trigger on, started rolling up his pant leg.  Was a race between winding the cord around the drill and crushing his nads.  Lucky for him, the cord wound itself enough to pull itself out of the wall!  He said, he was way too frozen dumb to do anything else!!!!  Try that with a cordless!!!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic