This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big cube 226 engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACMidightMistress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big cube 226 engine
    Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 8:29pm
Anyone out there have a drop in ready to go engine for a w series puller?
Sponsored Links

mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:26pm
steve fisher cab build you one
mike a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:28pm
can build you one 507-766-0551
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 5:48pm
Cubic inches only cost cubic DOLLARS, go for it Big smile Turbocharging is cheaper per HP dollar Thumbs Up
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 7:54am
Turbocharging not a generally accepted thing in antique tractor pulling, so more cubic inches is the way it's done.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:56am
Antique classes are generally Grampa gear classes that make big HP useless unless heavily weighted down, then things tend to break.
  Real pulling doesn't have speed limits and the winners are people with ingenuity to make things work that other say can't be done. Although I guess if some are afraid of speed then they gravitate toward the grampa gear pulls.
 More than 60 years ago a fellow told me the way to do well tractor pulling was; to have the most HP, run the lightest class possible and go as fast as possible. That formula has kept me winning for more than 50 years with everything from right off farm tractors to multi engine modifieds and superstocks. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:28pm
Well, every part of the country has different ways they do things. I've seen videos of your turbocharged C or CA and honestly where I live and compete in pulling, there would be places that would tell you to not bother to unload it off your trailer, for insurance reasons. Other places might let you show it off, but not compete.  If you enjoy kicking the snot out of 3 or 4 other lesser tractors because yours has a turbocharger on it and theirs doesn't, how nice for you. There are dozens and dozens of antique pulling organizations around our great country and I don't know of any who have a turbocharged 2,500 or 3,000 lb farm tractor class. I guess I'd prefer to compete against a dozen other pullers in a class and hope to do well, knowing we are all within a certain rules restraint, than pull for show and beat no one. You are certainly entitled to play however you want and with whoever you want, but around here there's no one else set-up like you are. I was at a club pull yesterday and we had 117 hooks for the day, which is pretty average.

Edited by DrAllis - 01 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:48pm
NEWS FLASH:
  All those that have rebuilt their engines with custom parts and increased the displacement to twice, three times or more than what the factory displacement was, are no more of an antique tractor than mine is with a turbocharger, and have no business competing in an antique class. Locally we have what is called an OPEN class that is only limited by the builders' ingenuity and, in lower weights, the tire size. When I do go to other pulls, I am mainly pulling as an ambassador to generate interest in our club which is very open-minded and has classes for everyone from the restored  (truly antique) to the highly altered and turbocharged engines. Before going to unknown pulls, I check with those in charge and let them know what to expect from my tractors. If I am only allowed to be an exhibition puller, this is just fine as I thoroughly enjoy pulling for its own sake; trophies, ribbons, and plaques are no longer important after more than 50 years of pulling and winning with every division I've pursued. Our club offers an exciting contrast for the spectator compared to many Antique clubs that have day-long pulls that feature only tractors going at a walking speed or slower. Although these pulls are just fine for the competitors, they become boring very fast to a spectator that doesn't personally know someone pulling. You can't inspire interest in a sport if you are boring the spectators. Generally, after making a run, I am swarmed by spectators asking where I will be pulling next and what other tractors run like mine. 
  The NTPA initially had a goal to standardize rules across the country so that anyone could go anywhere and pull. This worked for awhile, and then there became people that were not able to win under the fair, standardized rules, so they formed their own little clubs all across the land, finagling the rules to suit their own personal tractor and exclude others, thus achieving the desired result of becoming a big fish in their own little pond.  If that is who you are, that's fine. You be You. 
  Those who feel the need to have the enormous displacement engines and then insist on competing in the antique classes are very poor sportsmen and must be compensating for lack of skill and maybe other qualities. Locally, when competing at our club, my turbocharged tractor will pull against some tractors with engines four times larger than factory; this makes not only a very competitive class but also a great show for the spectators.
trikesbikes@gmail.co View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikesbikes@gmail.co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:37am
Where are you located? We are in MN
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 9:16am
I kinda have to agree with both of yall! If you want to compete against other pullers to see how you place, then one must conform to the rules where competing. This I enjoy tremendously !!!  On the other hand, building a machine like Paul's also has its allure and making a pull just for fun, like  no other, is probably very satisfying ! I have to commend both yall's expertise and ingenuity and thank you for sharing it with us !!

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 10:04pm
i agree with everyone here on this but looking at diferant clubs rules on the internet i think they all need to be amended to allow allis go up in yaers to  when the d19 starts so they can run the 6 cylinder gasser in the d19 or at least a series one d17  to run with all the super 88s and 460s  to get a little more brand , color representation 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 6:56am
The D19 came out in 1961. If you write the rules to allow them, you also have to include the John Deere 4010, which came out in 1960. I know the local clubs try to keep the 4010 out.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 2:38pm
You can build as many or more cubic inches into a G-226/D-17 gas engine than you can a D-19/G-262 engine. It takes a 301 engine to be able to make the cubes it takes to compete with a 500 plus cube Oliver or Farmall 460/560.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 7:48pm
just thinking it would be nice to add a little more color to the red yellow and green ones  dont realy see any fords in the antque heavyer classes
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 9:14pm
It would be nice for more color, yes I agree. There have been rules tried that say "factory turbochargers only" used for a County Fair for example. Well, then you have D-19's,  190 XT's and 200's running against 4010/20 Deere's without turbos.  That doesn't go over well for a great deal of Deere owners, as they get their tails kicked. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 11:03pm
i was thinking more of keeping it the gassers only 262, 301 or let them only be in fifty seven or eight d17,   and leave all the diesel stuff the way it is.   right out of the field stock will be the only place all the brands together ,  but thier is a reason the biggest and badest is at the end of the show with any kind of motorsports
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 6:46am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

i was thinking more of keeping it the gassers only 262, 301 or let them only be in fifty seven or eight d17,   and leave all the diesel stuff the way it is.   right out of the field stock will be the only place all the brands together ,  but thier is a reason the biggest and badest is at the end of the show with any kind of motorsports

Yep, be like the clubs run by owners of half engine tractors: write the rules around your own tractor so you don't get beat. Pulling has always been a sport of innovation and skill, when you don't have those you whip the rest with your rule book. I don't really have a problem with rules for "out of the field" or "historic' tractors, Just thoroughly enforce them to keep tractors that don't qualify out of these type classes. However, leave all the restrictions off of the other classes. If it started life as a tractor, uses a tractor chassis and has basically the same engine as original and makes the weight it's a tractor. To all that want to add tremendous cubic inches don't cry about my turbo! Kinda like the "Colt" of the old west, an equalizer. You do you and let me be me. 
 I've been many places over the years while pulling CAs where as I arrived, I was met with a welcoming attitude only to be told not to come back after beating them severely, often going more than half again the distance of the 2nd place tractor. 
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 8:35am
I also enjoy the innovation and engineering that goes into most of the good running machines found at pulls. It for sure keeps the mind active and skills sharp rules or no rules.
Have'nt got the heater installed yet Paul, blew a fire ring and had to replace it. Will get to it soon tho. Thanks again!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 4:50pm
The difference here, is wether someone has anything more important in their life than spending cubic money and all hours to hold a trophy.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you start with, or what you build... the winner is the person who has the greatest volume of money to drop.

Tractor pulling is a very demographically-confined event.  Like any other, when the event becomes nothing more than a cubic money battle, the demographics become very, very constricted... so the number of grassroots entries go away, and the spectator volume dwindles.

If we expect this sport is to stay viable, it's best to keep these things in mind.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:06pm
You hit the nail in the head. Perfect example 1 local county fair allows hot rod tractors in the stock classes, every year the grassroot pullers stopped showing up ( including myself) the next county over which always has been a smaller pull keeps getting bigger. ( they keep the riff raff out) to the tune of 20-30 tractors per class vs the other down to 4-5
a-c 185-d y/r cab turbo soon
99 f-250 7.3 4x4
86 mustang5.0 owned since 8/93              
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic