This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carpet or vinyl,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carpet or vinyl,,,?
    Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:04am

Well, the 20 year old carpet in living room and dining room has to get replaced and since the boys will one day inherit the place, I have left it up to them to decide on material used for replacement,,,(including the cost, heh, heh,heh)  I was kinda leaning for the newer vinyl that is quite a bit thicker than the vinyl or rather linoleum of years past. The vinyl I looked at in Lowes is bout 1/8" thick and am told is very durable,,,? The boys are not interested in carpet and neither am I. The other possibility is the 8" X 48" ,,"Click" panels that "click" together with a light hammer nudge,,,,, I got some quotes of $2,500 for the vinyl and $5,200 for the "click" panels. (Quotes are labor and material) There is lots of Labor costs with the Click flooring and the Handiman I trade work with tells me he can lay the click flooring but does NOT want to tackle the Vinyl installation. Anyone got any comments?
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:24am
Carpet is out in my book,   the cheep on sale click flooring is usually a PITA to install. I have a better grade click plank flooring in our hose for at least 15 years and it is holding up great, cat can run around spinning his wheels and no sign of scratches.  The rolled vinal has many choices  price/quality  I did both of our bathrooms with mid price brand from menards last winter, small areas easy to install simple to replace if it goes bad so far its ok but hasn't been six months yet. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:43am
BOTH are a PITA !! You have to remove EVERYTHING outta the rooms then vacuum the floors really,really good.
My 'vote' is for a higher end 'click panel' floor just be SURE to BUY an extra box of the planks !!! If (...when...) a section gets damaged, you'll have the correct planks to repair the floor. Just be sure you know which closet you stored them in !!
Also buy the 'installation kit' the plank mfr sells. It has  the CORRECT sized 'fitting piece',so NO damage to the planks.
Normally you install parallel to the longest dimension. If room is 10 by 12, planks run 12' long.If there's doors between LR and DR, there's a 6-8" 'strip' to look like the 'threshold' of the doorway.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:44am
There is very good and very bad and in between laminate and vinyl snap together flooring.
We haven’t used any rolled vinyl at work in years.
Cheap will buckle and squeak and feel like soft spots.
We put wood look ceramic tile in our kitchen living room and main hall and laundry.
If I had my way that wouldn’t be.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 7:01am
We caught Plank flooring on sale at Lowes a few years back, required a underlay 'pad' or insulation laid and taped down but not hard for even myself as a one man show to lay.  are several trade trick videos so do not end up with a 1" last lay piece at the end run on YT.

Ours was 3' lengths so had option of 1' staggers or as I laid it simple half length offset stagger, saw where one had been herringbone laid but I am NOWHERE to near a flooring layer to do that.  Just remember to as noted pickup a extra box or two, then the threshold or transitions strips and floor attaching hardware.  Had ours done in four days work, three rooms two alcove halls and main room flooring.  I opted to lay ours before I put baseboards on but with the trim in place adding a 1/4 cove or 1/4 round is a good finish touch.  Feels good underfoot and wears awesome so far, ours is a 'Water Resistant'.  I decided on Half Lap so to limit End Cuts but now do not see as gained much.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 7:14am
I'd go with quality hardwood. It will outlast the kids and also the grandkids. What ever you do on the cheap will be just that CHEAP.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:08am
Considering it is your living room and not a kitchen or bath I would go with carpet. You put down hard surface flooring then a throw rug on top as it is "too hard" for comfort to walk on with bare feet. Then when you are somewhat older the home heath aid tells you to get rid of the rug as it is a tripping hazard. One of my rental houses has commercial grade carpet (tight/short weave) in the area from the living room down the hall to the bedrooms. 20+ years old and no obvious signs of a wear pattern. 

This is in a pet free house, if you have pets that may have accidents that would change my mind to go with hard surface flooring.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:38am
I put ceramic wood looking panels in our living/ dining/ kitchen... on a concrete slab.   Daughter has a stick built house and we put the wood plank manufactured flooring in her first level a few years ago.. They have dogs and it works out great.  Son has hard wood oak in his house.. Looks good, but way to expensive.. Carpets if for the bedroom only.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 10:37am
I'd go with carpeting.  Helps deaden noise levels.  More comfortable to walk on and better against slipping, an important factor as we get older.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 10:42am
1966 we moved to a new house in St. Charles MO, Brothers trying to be nice took shoes off in Kitchen as had Hardwood floors.  One brother was upstairs and got called down, socked foot slip on slick hardwood steps, tumbled down steps.  Two months later Pop had the Carpet people back to carpet stair treads at center, then Pop was running late came down steps in his Oxfords, leather soles, slipped on carpet and busted his behind!!  Carpet can be just as slick as hardwood, do not let that change your mind.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 12:20pm
Wearing smooth, leather-soled shoes is like driving on bald tires.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 2:56pm
A good grade of LVP (luxury vinyl plank) would be my choice, durable and easy to install. Second choice would be laminate (click) flooring. I put laminate in my house and LVP in my daughter's house.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:08pm
I vote for a good quality 'click' vinyl plank or tiles. They are extremely durable and the thicker planks will have a cushioning on the bottom that makes them quieter and feels softer. Quick to install and easy to clean. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:12pm
we have carpet in our kitchen and in the bathroom, is lots warmer in the winter, and X2 what Dee says! one of the stockholders also had carpet in their kitchen, when they went to sell the house their best friend realtor said they would get a better price if they put a hardwood floor in the kitchen instead of the carpet. their house sold, for less than they were wanting after they spent almost $4000. for the new kitchen floor! the new owners put new carpet in the kitchen over the new hardwood floor! LMAO!!! i use the hardwood floor boards for walls around here! the inside of the cook shack is also getting the hard wood floor boards on its walls. so far it looks great! let the kids do what they want when they get it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 10:06pm

Altho, the quotes for the vinyl flooring are much cheaper than the planks, I have just about talked the boys against it as any repairs later would be very costly, plus the one Grandchild is a terror in and out of the house and always dropping Chit on floor. I also have the Wife's two Yorkies that will sometime piss in the corner when I don't get up fast enough when they call,,,,WinkWink
 I am reading ya'lls suggestions and seems to be two kinds of "Plank Flooring,,the vinyl planks and the "Click" flooring panels,,I see where it comes in several widths and lengths, and so far, Lowes has much better prices than Home Depot or McCoys Lumber.  Wondering WHY the different lengths and widths?? I have measured and measured again and it is going to take 489  Square feet of material for the dining room area and the living room so am looking at 500 Sq feet.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 12:14am
Joe, I imagine your house is either on a cement slab, or pier & beam? Our house we have now is pier & beam, previous owner put down the flooring that is some type of sticky on the back, in strips kinda imitation laminate in most of the rooms. The main living/family room was untouched exposing the original hardwood floor.
Our previous house was on a slab, with all the bedrooms and dens carpeted. Kitchen and dining room were vinyl.
My sons house is also on a slab, previous owner had 100% tile, high grade tile and grout. Looks beautiful, easy to clean. But in the winter those floors are cold as all get out, especially the closer to outside walls you get, the colder your feet become. We have gotten area rugs to use, but be sure they have a rubber/foam backing to reduce sliding.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 2:38pm
  our whole house is the click together and we love it. I layed it 15 years ago when I built the house and it is wearing great, except where my wife wouldn't wait till I moved a box of meat and she slid it across and broke off a corner on one plank.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 5:42pm
just pour another layer of concrete and have them throw some color powder in it!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:29pm
Hay Dj..
since the boys will be getting it, let them decide....!!!
then after you buy the materials, get THEM to install it......hehehe

oh look..... there's a pig flying overhead being head up by lead balloons......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 11:40am

Well,,it sure lookin like it will be the tile for both rooms as I fount a whole chitload of some  new ceramic tile thaat was left over from a BFJ down in C-bad at a dang good price. Just happens to be the 18" X 18" in the pattern and color they wanted,,,,ClapClap
 Only'ist thing is the guy I trade mechanic work for carpenter work with has suggested I install some of underlayment vaapor barrier stuff. I checked Lowes and they have bout 8 different types,,,,,?? Any comments from experience,,,??
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 11:53am
If direct to concrete do the pink paint on sealer
If on subfloor then go with 1/2”
Durock with grout to the floor and tile compound to the durock for time layout
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:51pm
  If it's cement floors go naturestone and be done with it for ever. We love ours in our family room.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 10:44am
I put Mohawk "Home Expressions" in the bedroom and bought enough for the future bath job, so it matches.  Made in USA and went in real easy.  Pulled up the linoleum that was under there first.  Had decent bare plywood then, nice and level. No regrets.

When you pull up carpet BE SURE to get all the damn staples they use when putting in the padding.  I re-did the living room, to the hardwood that was under there for 100 years. 

Both came out nice.

Edited by GSTROM99 - 08 Jul 2022 at 10:47am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by GSTROM99 GSTROM99 wrote:

I put Mohawk "Home Expressions" in the bedroom and bought enough for the future bath job, so it matches.  Made in USA and went in real easy.  Pulled up the linoleum that was under there first.  Had decent bare plywood then, nice and level. No regrets.

When you pull up carpet BE SURE to get all the damn staples they use when putting in the padding.  I re-did the living room, to the hardwood that was under there for 100 years. 

Both came out nice.
Really?  Must be nice.  We put  Mohawk in our Kitchen/ nook/ dining room when we built our new house.  Carnation Instant CRAP.  Was scratched almost immediately.  Within 2 years, all of the joints that WERE invisible were all "curling up" right at the edge, you can count every board with your toes.  The local lumber yard quit carrying it because there were so many complaints.   GRRRRRRAngryAngryAngry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic