This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOYOTA 4 RUNNER ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 7:10pm
Recycled steel, contains all variety of alloys, loads of odd types where most recycling steel works only check for quality of pour and carbon content, called Bastard Steel. Lost Great Uncle to Laclede Steel roller mill, he was dragged in with steel being rolled out but cause undetermined. Many other cousins worked there where knew who they supplied, GM was a big buyer for trucks as was IHC, both turned to corroding piles in a few years.
Laclede also produced black steel pipe for industry as gas line fitters where had similar results.

Japan copied US recycling to keep costs down, thus the rust issues.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:43am
Gassy, sorry to say, but it's as simple as your buddy blew it on this purchase.  Did not check out a 16 year old vehicle close enough and bought a t**d.  It happens.

Dave is right about the steel, however I must say I am surprised Toyota did this in 2006.  Just my opinion.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:00am
Well I do feel for he guy, but IF the entire rest of the truck is near mint, tossing 20K into the frame  could be worth it,considering what new trucks sell for.

Swapping in the new frame for not a 'big deal'. Just need tools, time and a place to store 'stuff'. I did a true frame off refurb of my 57 Willys pickup. The challenge was moving stuff around and around in the garage. Prety sure 'tetris' was invented from my moves....

Time to do the 'swap' ? probably 7-10 days of real work, mostly depends on tools and shop space.
Several guys up here have swapped Chevy cabs and boxes.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 9:04am
Gassy thinks changing a coil on a plug is a major operation... I doubt he and "buddy" are doing a repair or frame swap..  Big smile

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Jun 2022 at 9:05am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Gassy thinks changing a coil on a plug is a major operation... I doubt he and "buddy" are doing a repair or frame swap..  Big smile
Where did "I" come into the repair scenario ?? It AMAZES me the lack of post topic that escapes you ClapClap!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Gassy, sorry to say, but it's as simple as your buddy blew it on this purchase.  Did not check out a 16 year old vehicle close enough and bought a t**d.  It happens.

Dave is right about the steel, however I must say I am surprised Toyota did this in 2006.  Just my opinion.  
He understands "now" that he "should have" done some more "homework", but even  "CARFAX"  showed no red flags, and to be honest, WHO would think a frame is a liability ?? 
IMO, that structure should be built heavier than the engine block ConfusedAngry !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Well I do feel for he guy, but IF the entire rest of the truck is near mint, tossing 20K into the frame  could be worth it,considering what new trucks sell for.

Swapping in the new frame for not a 'big deal'. Just need tools, time and a place to store 'stuff'. I did a true frame off refurb of my 57 Willys pickup. The challenge was moving stuff around and around in the garage. Prety sure 'tetris' was invented from my moves....

Time to do the 'swap' ? probably 7-10 days of real work, mostly depends on tools and shop space.
Several guys up here have swapped Chevy cabs and boxes.

Thanks JAY for the info, his local mechanic said "NO WAY" on the frame swap as far as a labor $$ option ClapClap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:46pm
OK another option..., find a same year vehicle say NM or SC ( no rust ) ,will be a GREAT 'rolling chassis', then swap the cab,box,tin.. That is an easy 'shade tree' mechanic or 'high school auto shop' project. box is 8 bolts, cab 6-8, rad/fenders another dozen ? NO brakes/gas lines to remove,chassis wires stay put. Any good parts from the 'rolling chassis'  could be resold to recover some of the costs.
It should only take 2 guys, 2-3 days to remove the good cab,box,etc. another 2-3 to put them on the 'rolling chassis', another 1-2 days to fill fluids and check stuff. There are 'tricks' to make it easier but it IS possible.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:35pm
jay... if BUDDY has the same mechanical ability as FreeGas.... body change is a NON STARTER !! 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 7:12am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

He understands "now" that he "should have" done some more "homework", but even  "CARFAX"  showed no red flags, and to be honest, WHO would think a frame is a liability ?? 
IMO, that structure should be built heavier than the engine block ConfusedAngry !!
Who would think a frame is a liability?  On a 16 year old vehicle??  Um, me for one.  I've looked UNDER every used vehicle I've ever purchased.  
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 6:02pm

Who would think a frame is a liability?  On a 16 year old vehicle??  Um, me for one.  I've looked UNDER every used vehicle I've ever purchased.  
Have you "BAILED" on the purchase based on your sluicing? If so, what brand was it for frame failure to your standards ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 6:09pm
[QUOTE=steve(ill)]jay... if BUDDY has the same mechanical ability as FreeGas.... body change is a NON STARTER !! [/QUOTE
How do you know my "abilities" ??  Sadly, I've taken on more FORD  engine issues than I EVER did with my '95 DODGE 1500 4x4 that dropped a front wheel bearing and I had to change it on the the side of the road Embarrassed . I didn't even ruin the axle seal ClapClap
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 8:14pm

Have you "BAILED" on the purchase based on your sluicing? If so, what brand was it for frame failure to your standards ??

If that last sentence wasn't a lame pun attempt, it was just stupid...LOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 7:42am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

If that last sentence wasn't a lame pun attempt, it was just stupid...LOL
Gee Dave, you pick on him as if you had no consensus.  Wink
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:39pm
Ive had a couple vehicals the the sub frames rotted off. On was a BMW 2002 car looked great sub frames were paper thin I could crush with my hand traded back to the same BMW dealer i bought from. I got more than its was worth but it was a valuable collectable they knew it would sell. The second was a subaru turbo XT another good looking car but the body strenghteners and sub frames were shot I poked thru with my finger. I drove it to a buddies wrecking yard ulled the battery and watched it go thru the crusher. I didnt wantsome one to buy and put ack on the road. It looked good ran great. Was real fun to drive but had a lot of hidden cancer.
Wispitfiremike View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wispitfiremike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:56pm
Bought a Ford Ranchero for 100$ back in the day LOL yea awhile ago but anyway the frame was rotted behind the cab and you could feel it flex when you stepped on the brake. Spooky. Swapped some parts I wanted off it and sold it to a boneyard. Two weeks later I start getting parking tickets on it as one of their employees was driving it back and forth to work. Called and had them take my name off title, explained the reason I sold but figured it was their call to drive it. Toyota had a major problem with these frames and had to recall or rebuy many still on the road. Had a buddy with a mint truck but rotten frame, he was po'd with offer from Toyota but what is option? Bottom line buyer beware. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic