This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Fuel Dragster ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 12:54pm
Sub 4’s can be done, and what? 310-325??? I don’t follow it either.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 12:55pm
Are they using G seats or suits now? If not must be dang close to that requirement.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I used to change the oil on my dirt cars every other week. 7quarts.
I also changed back and right front tires every week or every other at the least.
I bought Hoosier 970’s by the pickup load.
Imagine all the tires used up in a NASCAR weekend.
I think I read once that cup averages 400 Goodyears a week???

Your "dirt car" isn't even in the same hemisphere as a top fuel dragster is it Confused ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

being dry sump pans they my have a large oil tank to pump cooler oil
YES, I just confirmed with my friend this evening, the buggy they ran held 30 quarts in a reservoir and pumped to the engine Big smile 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:12pm
Evidently Never Raced Freegas.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:41pm
Freebie only races to beat the train
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Jordan(OH) Jordan(OH) wrote:

Freebie only races to beat the train

And getting to the beer store!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:31pm
Top fuel cars have been running 1000 ft for several years (10?). Quarter mile speeds were getting too fast for shut down. They have regained the speed in 1000ft they used to run in a 1/4 but have a longer shut down distance. It's hairy scary....
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:33am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Your "dirt car" isn't even in the same hemisphere as a top fuel dragster is it Confused ??

A dirt-track car makes more revolutions in one lap, than the top fueler makes in it's entire run.

Remember, the top fuel is running at somewhere around 8500rpm for 3.3 seconds.  That seems like a lot, but do some math... 8500/60*3.3 ...
  That's about 470 revolutions.

A dirt-track heat race has an engine spinning between 4000-6500rpm for 12 laps on a quarter-mile circle...  You're looking at about four minutes... that's 20,000 revolutions.

Now get in a car, take a 15 minute drive to the grocery store... at 2400rpm... that's 36000 revolutions.

They're all totally different applications.  The top fuel engine will NOT survive in a dirt-track race, and it certainly WILL NOT make it to the grocery store... the design for each is optimized for the circumstance to which is is intended.

As others noted, top fuel dragsters have basically no cooling system.  The fuel used has SOME impact on the reduction of cooling requirement, but moreso, the amount of time that the engine actually RUNS, is very short.  The dragster engine is a LOW DUTY CYCLE engine.  The dirt track racer, the grocery-getter, the over-the-road truck, and the field tractor, are

Fuel and oil are frequently located in FRONT of the engine, as the accelleration forces approach 5G.  Oil and fueling are considered a 'total loss' system, reservoir fed, not withdrawn from the pan.  Why?  Several reasons- first, because oil coming OUT of reciprocating assembly is aereated INSTANTLY upon departure, and as a result, cannot easily be reconsolidated to be pumped forward to the oil tank without considerable input of extra horsepower from scavenging pumps, and because pumping oil OUT of the pan, and pushing it back forward into the tank, adds weight, costs wheel horsepower, and provides no benefit to the needs of the race.  Starting with a full supply tank, by the time the engine has completed it's run, the supply tank is almost empty, the used oil tank towards the rear, is about full.  The volume of oil used, is a function of run time and engine speed.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:31am
Tim Wilkerson is a local Top fuel funny car driver who still has his shop in Springfield. I was cleaning drains at his shop a few years ago . I asked him how sketchy it is to make a run . He said running down the track is hairy at best , but he said the real scary part is trying to slow down and stop . Those tires are stretched like rubber bands and then you try and wrangle them in as you slow down . He also talked about the fuel. He claims it's not very explosive or volatile. He says the challenge is getting enough fuel into cylinder before it ignites.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

... He claims it's not very explosive or volatile. He says the challenge is getting enough fuel into cylinder before it ignites.

Nitromethane fuel is CH3NO2.  It carries sufficient oxygen to combust at Air/Fuel ratios of UNDER 2:1, where  gasoline needs to be at 13.8:1... that means substantially more atmospheric air must be pulled in, in order to attain combustion.

Because of it's included oxidizer, Nitromethane is VERY EASILY ignited. In principle, building an engine for nitromethane is really all about how much chamber volume is left at TDC, and how to get the chamber packed full of LIQUID, while at the same time putting in JUST ENOUGH AIRSPACE to prevent the cylinder from becoming hydraulically obstructed by the liquid component... as overfilling will cause a rising piston to STOP as soon as the cylinder volume doesn't allow.

I suspect that Tim's reference is to Methanol... it is EXTREMELY difficult to get it to ignite... totally different scenario.  Nitromethanol, poured into a closed cylinder and compressed with a ramrod, will autoignite just as Herr Diesel postulated.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 1:22pm
Ain't much left of spark plugs after a run but then again not much needed with the self combusting thing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic