This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ant killer,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ant killer,,,?
    Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:18am

I think ole Shameless left a bunch of HIS ants when he snuck in here some time back,,,,,,Wink
 Don't have an idee where they all come from but is worst year for ants here since we bought the place 40 years ago,,,??
 There is an ant hole bout every 100 yards and the only'ist ones I really need to get rid of are close to the house and my work areas. I had to do some welding  mods to the trash trailer and after I got it backed up to where the welding leads reached,,I realized I was standing on a big ant bed and had some already crawling up my pant leg,,,,
 I do not know HOW it happened but at my Grandson's last baseball game, I musta got one up my pants leg and as I was driving home after game,,I felt something crawling up my leg and at first stop light,,I scratched it ,,,,and THEN the fun started,,,!!!  CHIT it hurt as it bit me 3 times before I could stop car get out of car and pull my pants down,,,in front of several people,,,and the ant was still on my leg,,,CHIT that hurt!! finally got it off my leg and everybody started honking and laughing,,LOLLOL,,(good thing I had changed undies)
 Anyway,,I googled home remedies as the store bought stuff did NOT work,,!! There was an artickle where they use BORAX mixed with Powdered sugar and water and boil it for 3 mins and spread along the trails,,, Says they will carry it into the hole and kills 100%,,,?? Anybody use this,,??
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 5:32am
I make it with regular sugar and borax.
I buy cheap little plastic containers and poke a few holes in them and put the bait in them. It keeps the pets from getting in the stuff.
I’ve used it dry or with a little water.
Never boiled it before.
May try it.
I use 3 sugar to one borax.
We get them every spring.
Noticed them in the mail box yesterday.
Gonna bait it up tonight.
Last winter when the neighbor, his girl friend and I went to Florida for the Razorback bowl game, we stayed somewhere in Alabama at a motel.
I saw some nice aunt hills in the yard.
I tried every trick I could think of to get them out there for me to take their picture.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:06am
I would say to soak the ant hills in diesel fuel real good, several gallons then light on fire, but with the price of fuel nowdays that would break a fella.LOL  Better try the borax and sugar.Wink

Edited by Kansas99 - 24 May 2022 at 8:07am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 9:43am
If they are like the fire ants around here they are hard to kill. For mound treatment I use Martin's Surrender, works about as good as anything I have tried but too expensive if you have much acreage to treat.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:38pm
well, Ya learn sumptin new every day...

Borax has a low toxicity for people and animals, but ants are another story. When ants consume the borax bait, it interferes with their digestive system and gradually kills them. This slow kill allows time for the worker ants to consume the bait and head back to the nest to share with the rest of the colony and queen.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

well, Ya learn sumptin new every day...

Borax has a low toxicity for people and animals, but ants are another story. When ants consume the borax bait, it interferes with their digestive system and gradually kills them. This slow kill allows time for the worker ants to consume the bait and head back to the nest to share with the rest of the colony and queen.

Yeah, Steve and another thing,,,you can also use Baking Soda mixed with granulated sugar with a little corn meal,,(A real smorgasborg, by golly) and they take that into the hill and when it hits their digestive system,,,,,they "Blow Up",,,,Jeeeze,,,I don't want to annilate em,,,just make em go away! Ya see according to that person that wrote the article, the worker ants do not drink water because of their digestive system,,,,who knew,,,!! I treated the big hill close to my work area and been watching em,,,but CHIT,,,they is just as industrious as they was yesterday,,,!!! They are coming and going to the big Mulberry tree in back yard and they are moving along bout 4-6 wide in both directions. I oughta video them workers and post on FB bout How to get the economy going again,,,,Chit,,,I'm outa here,,,,,,!!!!LOLLOL
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:41pm
I use borax, brown sugar, and vegatable oil... I mix it into a thin paste, then plop little spoonfuls of it around the basement, in the garage...

Borax is Boric Acid... even if they don't eat it, it will react to their exoskeleton and kill them, but it will get carried back to the colony if they make it... and that will take care of the colony pretty rapidly, too... the brown sugar is 'bait', and veg oil helps 'bind' it all together without drying out.

"borax bait" works well on a wide variety of ants, crickets, centipedes, silverfish, some spiders, mice... occasionally a small rat...  but anything larger is not affected.  The little splotches will last indefinitely, at least, until critters have consumed them.

I use '100 mule team', it's the common brand around here.  Do a web search on the name, to find out why they have that name... cool history.

They make 'paths' between what they have chosen as a 'primary' resource, to the colony (hole in the ground).  What you can do, is drop down splotches every 10 feet or so on each side of their path.

If they're climbing your mulberry tree, it is probably going to be dead in a year or so... they're probably ripping the sap-laden center out and carrying it back to the colony stores.

Edited by DaveKamp - 24 May 2022 at 3:43pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 12:51pm
Diatomaceous Earth Powder
 - a fine powder and can be used anywhere - got a bottle at Home Depot and 2 treatments of black ants in house and gone 
 Tried several other things and that worked and no problem with pets or other 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Diatomaceous Earth Powder
 - a fine powder and can be used anywhere - got a bottle at Home Depot and 2 treatments of black ants in house and gone 
 Tried several other things and that worked and no problem with pets or other 
       Good stuff, works on fleas too, gets under their armor and cuts them to pieces.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 12:01pm
   I go to Lowe's and buy a bag of ant, flea, grub killer and use it around the perimiter of my house & shop every spring and put it on any signs of ants or ant hills and problem solved
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

I would say to soak the ant hills in diesel fuel real good, several gallons then light on fire, but with the price of fuel nowdays that would break a fella.LOL  Better try the borax and sugar.Wink
wait, wait, wait...........Borax a sugar is way cheaper than a cup of diesel fuel!

update Oh, hold up, I didn't finish reading...whew, I thought you had bumped you head, but I see it was my bad!

Edited by LouSWPA - 26 May 2022 at 1:28pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:03pm

Well,,The Borax did not do the trick,,at least on these Shameless trained ants,,,,Wink I tried the sugar/Borax and water mix and Nada,,,So I got some syrup, Borax and boiled it and spread it on come flat paper plates and they would run over and smell it and just go around,,, Then the Borax by itself still nuttin,,!!  I'm thinkin that since they are going to the Mulberry fruit on the ground,,they are NOT interested in the Borax mixes,,,?? Gonna try some Diatomaciuos Earth like ole Coke says,,,,chit, chit, chit,,,,!!!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:49pm
12 gauge !! Wink

charcoal lighter and a match...

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 May 2022 at 9:50pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 11:14pm

I remember this Rig Welder neighbor friend of ours is what he used to do is get his torch and with acetylene only woud open it into the hill for several minutes,,,then light it offand you talk about an impressive BOOM,!!!  and,,,and,,,as I was hauling azz,,I would look back and see the whole friggin hill would rise bout 6-8 inches and finally settle down,,,,but NO ANTS,,,A neighbor called the fire dept on him and they made him STOP that chit,,,!!!LOLLOLIt sure was foolproof,,,thas the kind of person ole Rusty was,,,,,LOLLOL
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:39am
tannerite?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:42am
lol....Joe....you is missing out on big $$$$ here! some dude melted a bunch of lead and poured it down the ant holes, left it there a few days then carefully dug up around the ant holes and washed the dirt off, the big city bots think it's a rare form of art and pay big $$$ for them! ussually them ant holes go down about 2-3 feet! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic